IGNORED

Boris Johnson On The World Cup

Talk about delusions of grandeur. He must have himself confused with a respected politician who's opinion is considered rather than the dog being kept quiet with the scraps.

Typical Johnson, his vastly overinflated sense of self importance gets his gob writing cheques his arse can't cash, before somebody rapidly points out what a load of unworkable nonsense he's just come out with and he has to row back quicker than Steve Redgrave.

It's a complete disgrace that the tournament is taking place in Russia of course, and we should have the balls to boycott given that in addition to trying to assassinate people here they bribed their way to holding it in the first place, are currently massacring civillians in Syria as well as engaging in global hybrid warfare and have recently been exposed as state sponsored, institutionalised sporting cheats, but Boris Johnson is still a class a knob and I can only presume the fact he is our Foreign Secretary is some sort of hideous trolling of the rest of the planet.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Typical Johnson, his vastly overinflated sense of self importance gets his gob writing cheques his arse can't cash, before somebody rapidly points out what a load of unworkable nonsense he's just come out with and he has to row back quicker than Steve Redgrave.

It's a complete disgrace that the tournament is taking place in Russia of course, and we should have the balls to boycott given that in addition to trying to assassinate people here they bribed their way to holding it in the first place, are currently massacring civillians in Syria as well as engaging in global hybrid warfare and have recently been exposed as state sponsored, institutionalised sporting cheats, but Boris Johnson is still a class a knob and I can only presume the fact he is our Foreign Secretary is some sort of hideous trolling of the rest of the planet.

Boris is a dick. 

I see you’ve been sucked into the constant narrative of anti-Russian propaganda that our media portray. 

Don’t believe all that you read/hear from our media and government. 

Yes, Russia are certainly no angels, but glass houses and all that! 

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Boris is a dick. 

I see you’ve been sucked into the constant narrative of anti-Russian propaganda that our media portray. 

Or have you been sucked into anti-west propaganda leaked from Russia, equally as likely :P

No credible comparison can be made between the way our country is run and the way Russia is run ie essentially as a mafia state.

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

Boris is a dick. 

On the contrary, I read very widely and from a variety of sources and I don't often believe a single word our unfortunate government tells us.

I didn't say that the Russians were the only ones up to horrible stuff, indeed in many respects western countries can be worse. There is no doubt though that Russian warplanes are currently bombing civillians in East Ghouta as we type and that they massively and systematically cheated at state level through a number of years at very recent global sporting events. These are incontrovertible facts, and should be enough for any country, not just Russia, not to be allowed to host such a tournament. There is also little doubt they did indeed bribe their way to hosting the upcoming world cup given that's clearly how FIFA awarded them both in 2010. I'm not saying this out of some dogmatic sense of the moral or political superiority of the west generally, or in a belief of any such superiority of the UK, and it's clear that you could offer counter examples of shit stuff the west has done too, but we are talking about the host of this year's tournament.

I haven't been 'sucked into' anything but I don't believe what I see on Russia Today either!

I think we're moving a bit far away from football now though tbh.

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

On the contrary, I read very widely and from a variety of sources and I don't often believe a single word our unfortunate government tells us.

I didn't say that the Russians were the only ones up to horrible stuff, indeed in many respects western countries can be worse. There is no doubt though that Russian warplanes are currently bombing civillians in East Ghouta as we type and that they massively and systematically cheated at state level through a number of years at very recent global sporting events. These are incontrovertible facts, and should be enough for any country, not just Russia, not to be allowed to host such a tournament. There is also little doubt they did indeed bribe their way to hosting the upcoming world cup given that's clearly how FIFA awarded them both in 2010. I'm not saying this out of some dogmatic sense of the moral or political superiority of the west generally, or in a belief of any such superiority of the UK, and it's clear that you could offer counter examples of shit stuff the west has done too, but we are talking about the host of this year's tournament.

I haven't been 'sucked into' anything but I don't believe what I see on Russia Today either!

I think we're moving a bit far away from football now though tbh.

It should be worrying for everyone as to why we don't hear about "The Russians" for years and then over the last 2-3 years there has been a steady ratcheting up of anti-Russian narrative.  It started off slow and steady a couple of years back, but it's becoming more wild and free now, with utterly ridiculous comments now coming from senior government officials (witness Boris and his many recent rants, and more worryingly, this Gavin Williamson nobend with his recent outbursts and accusations of an "imminent attack" - what a feckin' bozo).

Let's consider the Russian position.  One of the most battered countries in both World Wars, after WW2 when NATO was formed this kept tensions from boiling over.  In 1990 when the break up of the Soviet Union occurred, Russia were promised that there would be no expansion of NATO toward it's borders.  These promises were not kept, and once Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and the Baltic States became part of NATO it wasn't long before the US (with UK approval) set up military bases in those neighboring countries - there are literally hundreds of thousands of US soldiers staring at the Russians over the borders of these countries.
To put this in perspective, imagine England having suffered more than anyone in 2 world wars and finally get a couple of decades of respite, with a promise that there will not be an expansion of communism to our borders.  Then all of sudden Russia manage to station hundreds of thousands of soldiers in Scotland, Wales and France, with their guns quite literally pointing at us.  How do you think we would feel?
Do you think we'd be even more peed off if we then start to hear the Russian government accusing us of being aggressive.
The aggression in this whole messed-up situation is only coming from the West toward Russia.  We've got them surrounded and yet accuse them of aggression.  Madness.

As for Russia dropping bombs on Syrians.  That conflict is not a civil war.  It is a bunch of western backed, trained and funded mercenaries set to work to try to effect regime change - because the US want rid of Assad, but they can't do it the way they got rid of Saddam and Gaddafi, as they've been sussed for their lies and failings with those.  So they are now trying a more 'covert' method (much like they tried in Ukraine, which failed miserably for them too).
The majority of fighters in the original uprising were NOT Syrian, but were mercenaries from many other lands. There are factions within those 'mercenaries' who we have always known are members of banned terrorist organisations, yet we continued to send them arms!  We then 'out of the blue' start to hear about ISIS (no-one had heard of them prior to 2014), but all of a sudden, they appeared in Syria.  Lots of evidence that points toward ISIS being created by the CIA, and certainly trained and funded by the US.  It's all covert ops.  The Syrian government (whilst admittedly a rather brutal regime), are fighting against non-Syrian rebels, and against ISIS - it is not a civil war, they are trying to rid their land of these aggressors.  And whilst it fills me with sadness to say it, war is war, and sadly innocent people die.
The Russians are the ONLY country outside of Syria who have any given right to be involved in this war, as the Syrian government specifically requested their support.  The US have absolutely no right to be there, and yet they have landed hundreds of thousands of bombs on the country too, many also killing innocent civilians (but we don't get to hear all the gory details about those ones), even though theirs are conducted 'illegally', as they have no right to be dropping bombs on a foreign country.
The US pretended for 2 years that there were there fighting against ISIS, but there was no change happening.  Then, a couple of years ago the Russians are invited to join and lo and behold, within days they've got ISIS on the run, and now all but defeated in Syria.

Whilst it is horrendous that innocent people are being killed, the outrage is so one-sided when we go a little further to the East and witness what's happening in Yemen.  Exactly the same atrocities are happening there, but only this time, it's the Saudi's who are the aggressors, but they are our friends, so we don't bother condemning them and looking to get involved to stop them killing innocents.  In fact, we won't attempt to stop them, we'll increase our sales of arms to them - that should help the Yemeni people no end!!

That's what I mean by the 'glass houses' comment.  Yes, Russia are involved in a conflict in a foreign territory and innocent people are being killed.  But exactly the same is happening in Yemen (with our unbridled support), yet we don't have any words of disgust in that direction.  Utter bollax if you don't mind me saying so.

This latest 'spy thriller' in Salisbury is clearly an opportunity for the West to ratchet up the anti-Russian theme even more, convince the public that the "Russians are bad, ok", so that they get the public support for whatever action they want to take against them.  Same narrative as Iraq & Saddam.  It's all lies (and in the case of Iraq, those lies have been proven beyond doubt).  I would not be surprised if this Salisbury Spy Game has been purposely concocted to continue to increase the dread and fear of the Russians in the average UK household.

Anyway, you're right - this isn't football.:innocent06:

My favourite quote from a little while ago re the situation in the middle east :

"We support the Iraqi Government in its fights against ISIS.
We don't like ISIS, but ISIS is supported by Saudi Arabia, whom we do like.
We don't like President Assad in Syria.
We support the fight against him, but we do not support ISIS, who is also fighting against him.
We don't like Iran.  But Iran supports the Iraqi Government against ISIS.
We don't like Russia.  But Russia supports the Syrian Government against ISIS, who we do not like.
So, some of our friends support our enemies, and some of our enemies are our friends.
And some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies, whom we want to lose.
But we don't want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.
If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they might be replaced by people we like even less.
And all of this was started by us invading a country to drive out terrorists, who weren't actually there until we went in to drive them out.
Understood?"

My favourite quote from a little while ago re the situation in the middle east :

"We support the Iraqi Government in its fights against ISIS.
We don't like ISIS, but ISIS is supported by Saudi Arabia, whom we do like.
We don't like President Assad in Syria.
We support the fight against him, but we do not support ISIS, who is also fighting against him.
We don't like Iran.  But Iran supports the Iraqi Government against ISIS.
We don't like Russia.  But Russia supports the Syrian Government against ISIS, who we do not like.
So, some of our friends support our enemies, and some of our enemies are our friends.
And some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies, whom we want to lose.
But we don't want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.
If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they might be replaced by people we like even less.
And all of this was started by us invading a country to drive out terrorists, who weren't actually there until we went in to drive them out.
Understood?"

Where were the weapons made that they fight with?

13 hours ago, Stortz said:

I can only presume the fact he is our Foreign Secretary is some sort of hideous trolling of the rest of the planet.

Top post.  Thought this was worth pulling out. 

Think we have now entered a new phase of post imperialism - Cu*tural imperialism.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

It should be worrying for everyone as to why we don't hear about "The Russians" for years and then over the last 2-3 years there has been a steady ratcheting up of anti-Russian narrative.  It started off slow and steady a couple of years back, but it's becoming more wild and free now, with utterly ridiculous comments now coming from senior government officials (witness Boris and his many recent rants, and more worryingly, this Gavin Williamson nobend with his recent outbursts and accusations of an "imminent attack" - what a feckin' bozo).

The last 2-3 years you say....anything spring to mind of why we're hearing more about the Ruski's Harry? Invasion and illegal occupation/annexation of Crimea perhaps? Near enough proven involvement in rigging the US elections? Meddling in elections in Catalonia, Germany, Italy, France, the UK EU referendum? Putin is ratcheting things up for sure, in response to weak economic conditions in Russia and of course the small matter of the Russian election coming up soon (guess who's going to win that one with a big fat majority!) As for "imminent attacks" comment, it was only very recently Putin was boasting about his new nuclear weapons being able to reach the US mainland.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Let's consider the Russian position.  One of the most battered countries in both World Wars, after WW2 when NATO was formed this kept tensions from boiling over.  In 1990 when the break up of the Soviet Union occurred, Russia were promised that there would be no expansion of NATO toward it's borders.  These promises were not kept, and once Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and the Baltic States became part of NATO it wasn't long before the US (with UK approval) set up military bases in those neighboring countries - there are literally hundreds of thousands of US soldiers staring at the Russians over the borders of these countries.
To put this in perspective, imagine England having suffered more than anyone in 2 world wars and finally get a couple of decades of respite, with a promise that there will not be an expansion of communism to our borders.  Then all of sudden Russia manage to station hundreds of thousands of soldiers in Scotland, Wales and France, with their guns quite literally pointing at us.  How do you think we would feel?
Do you think we'd be even more peed off if we then start to hear the Russian government accusing us of being aggressive.
The aggression in this whole messed-up situation is only coming from the West toward Russia.  We've got them surrounded and yet accuse them of aggression.  Madness.

You've almost got me feeling sorry for them mate! The borders drawn up after WW2 were not perfect however the reality is Putin has expansive tendencies and despite there being some western military based in eastern Europe he has being allowed to march into Ukraine and start a huge war with little sanctions being placed on his country and Russia have also been illegally occupying parts of Georgia since 2008. Again, the west have done **** all about it. If we were the aggressors here then I would fully expect us to have quashed these military coups in their tracks, instead we offered no military support. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

As for Russia dropping bombs on Syrians.  That conflict is not a civil war.  It is a bunch of western backed, trained and funded mercenaries set to work to try to effect regime change - because the US want rid of Assad, but they can't do it the way they got rid of Saddam and Gaddafi, as they've been sussed for their lies and failings with those.  So they are now trying a more 'covert' method (much like they tried in Ukraine, which failed miserably for them too).
The majority of fighters in the original uprising were NOT Syrian, but were mercenaries from many other lands. There are factions within those 'mercenaries' who we have always known are members of banned terrorist organisations, yet we continued to send them arms!  We then 'out of the blue' start to hear about ISIS (no-one had heard of them prior to 2014), but all of a sudden, they appeared in Syria.  Lots of evidence that points toward ISIS being created by the CIA, and certainly trained and funded by the US.  It's all covert ops.  The Syrian government (whilst admittedly a rather brutal regime), are fighting against non-Syrian rebels, and against ISIS - it is not a civil war, they are trying to rid their land of these aggressors.  And whilst it fills me with sadness to say it, war is war, and sadly innocent people die.

Yeah, Assad has used chemical weapons on his own people. Abhorrent, and this is who Putin is supporting because he and Assad are one and the same - brutal dictators seeking to protect their warped political ideology.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

The Russians are the ONLY country outside of Syria who have any given right to be involved in this war, as the Syrian government specifically requested their support.  The US have absolutely no right to be there, and yet they have landed hundreds of thousands of bombs on the country too, many also killing innocent civilians (but we don't get to hear all the gory details about those ones), even though theirs are conducted 'illegally', as they have no right to be dropping bombs on a foreign country.
The US pretended for 2 years that there were there fighting against ISIS, but there was no change happening.  Then, a couple of years ago the Russians are invited to join and lo and behold, within days they've got ISIS on the run, and now all but defeated in Syria.

Whilst it is horrendous that innocent people are being killed, the outrage is so one-sided when we go a little further to the East and witness what's happening in Yemen.  Exactly the same atrocities are happening there, but only this time, it's the Saudi's who are the aggressors, but they are our friends, so we don't bother condemning them and looking to get involved to stop them killing innocents.  In fact, we won't attempt to stop them, we'll increase our sales of arms to them - that should help the Yemeni people no end!!

That's what I mean by the 'glass houses' comment.  Yes, Russia are involved in a conflict in a foreign territory and innocent people are being killed.  But exactly the same is happening in Yemen (with our unbridled support), yet we don't have any words of disgust in that direction.  Utter bollax if you don't mind me saying so.

This latest 'spy thriller' in Salisbury is clearly an opportunity for the West to ratchet up the anti-Russian theme even more, convince the public that the "Russians are bad, ok", so that they get the public support for whatever action they want to take against them.  Same narrative as Iraq & Saddam.  It's all lies (and in the case of Iraq, those lies have been proven beyond doubt).  I would not be surprised if this Salisbury Spy Game has been purposely concocted to continue to increase the dread and fear of the Russians in the average UK household.

Anyway, you're right - this isn't football.:innocent06:

Morning Harry

you seem to have mistaken me for some sort of apologist for the west, please allow me to disavow you of that notion. I do indeed decry what is happening in Yemen and the UK has blood all over its hands given May and our pal Boris are hawking cluster bombs to the Saudis to mutilate children. If Saudi Arabia were holding the world cup, I would say we should boycot that too.

To reply to your post, it's no surprise that the threat of Russia is being talked up in recent years given the increasing personality cult being erected around Putin- witnesses for instance his newfound religious nationalism such as kissing the purported relics of St Nicholas last year, the abolition of maximum terms in office and the crushing of the illusory democratic freedom in Russia. The Ukrainian conflict has also clearly brought greater attention to the Russian agenda.

Your post cold War history lesson is quite high on rhetoric and low on logic. Given that any serious military engagement between NATO and Russia would rapidly escalate to a nuclear exchange, those troops on the Russian border would only serve to be the first vaporised.

I do agree that NATO has handled its eastward expansion in a provocative and unnecessary fashion, but I don't think that excuses Russian affiliates blowing up a civilian plane over Ukraine.

It is disingenuous to claim that the Russians have the moral authority to bomb indiscriminately in order to support a Syrian regime that has repeatedly used chemical and nerve agents against their own population simply because they have been asked to do so. I'm afraid the stuff about the CIA inventing  ISIS is a load of tin foil hat wearing nonsense. I'm going to take a guess that you support 911 conspiracy theories too?

I agree entirely with you that the West shouldn't be bombing anyone either; I don't see international relations and the deployment of hard power as a zero sum game- it seems madness to me to dogmatically support one group/ faction/ country over another in every situation. It's obviously never as simple as good v bad.

I totally agree with you about Yemen, both the UK specifically and the west's complicity in it is disgusting and shameful, as is the lack of media attention here.

it's very clear that the Russians are as complicit in the Sailsbury incident as they were in the killing of Litvinenko. It is ridiculous to suggest our involvement. The reflexive response of many (especially those on the lunatic right- although please note I'm not suggesting that includes you!) these days to any given incident is to claim a 'false flag'- Occam's razor would dictate otherwise.

I note the one thing that you haven't mentioned in your post is the state sponsored cheating in London and especially on home soil in Sochi. Don't you think that alone should preclude Russia hosting it irrespective of the other arguments? For clarity, I also think we should withdraw from Qatar 2022 as the stadiums are being built with the blood of slave labour. We won't of course, desperate as we are for post Brexit trade and influence; but we should.

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The reason for the Anti-Russian narrative is the realisation that the weakening of both the UK and the EU by Brexit, added to the Russian annexation of Crimea means the front to their West is open to Russia for the first time since 1945.  

Isn't the 'narrative' actually based on evidence as well though? Putin runs a rogue mafia state in which he plays Godfather and has had designs on eastern Europe since the early 90s. The bloke is a psychopath and represents a huge threat to western democracy. It's no surprise they've repeated the trick with this spy in Salisbury given we did absolutely sod all about the Litvinenko killing. Where's the deterrent? North Korea and Russia have played the rest of the world for fools in building up huge military capabilities whilst we've been too afraid to do anything, or in the case of N Korea basically mocked and underestimated them.

I just don't get the apologists. Maybe go and live in Russia and see how much you value our freedoms and democracy then. 

Archived