IGNORED

The Preston North End FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 36

Septic Peg

First let me say that Preston are probably the best organised team that we have played, they are not giving us an inch.

Fielding looks like he is pissed up and has shit himself, as good as Pack was on Saturday he has been poor tonight with Bryan little better, Magnússon and Paterson are too lightweight for such a physical game and Diedhiou needs to gamble more, something he failed to do twice, once for a good Bryan cross early on and once for a ball over the top.

2 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

Am I the only person who thinks Preston are a good high-energy side who don't let teams settle?  And that actually we've had a few decent moments there considering the aggression from Preston.

Nope. They are a very good side with some very tidy players. 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks Captain Hindsight.

Um, he has point in the fact that Mitrovic looked a handful in the Prem.

Who the hell knew anything about Diony before we signed him?

Fulham smashed it out the park with that loan signing to be fair, and it's worked out very well for em. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This. He’s probably on 40-50k at Newcastle and Fulham won’t be getting him on the cheap. People act like we’re a big budget club and we’re really not. 

Agree - We are a small budget club and we buy players who are in our budget bracket - sometimes you do have to spend BIG £s to get quality. Mitrovich is defo that. For us to take the next step, we will have to spend at some stage. The PREM is guaranteed £100M even if you finish bottom apparently?

It is a gamble either way, but SL is taking the safer bet route.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This. He’s probably on 40-50k at Newcastle and Fulham won’t be getting him on the cheap. People act like we’re a big budget club and we’re really not. 

Well the wages of diony, kent and walsh, plus the transfer fee and loan fees for each of them would have seen us pretty close to what that mitrovic deal is.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

In all fairness at what point did Diony look like a good signing? His own club shipped him out 6 months after paying £9m for him, hardly a glowing reference is it.

Personally I knew absolutely nothing about him when we signed him, but he wouldn’t be the first player to fail at one club then do well at another.

Clearly all his fault tonight, especially as he isn’t even on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Um, he has point in the fact that Mitrovic looked a handful in the Prem.

Who the hell knew anything about Diony before we signed him?

Fulham smashed it out the park with that loan signing to be fair, and it's worked out very well for em. 

You'd like to think our recruitment team.... :fear:

Couple of totally unrelated things...

1. LJ totally threw Mags under the bus last year in this fixture even though we were already well beaten by the time he came off the bench. Deja Vu.

2. In our purple patch earlier in the season we seemed to come from behind a fair bit, particularly improving in the second half.

20 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Couldnt be more wrong, they beat us 2-1 at AG.

We beat them 4-0 at deepdale on 5th Feb 2011 and then not beat them since. 

So being one goal out please explain how I was more wrong? And what’s 2-1 loss got to do with anything I wasn’t asking the result the last time we played them. 

https://www.11v11.com/teams/preston-north-end/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Bristol City/

Bit of a worrying half. Bar 10 minutes or so it's been all them.

Preston playing like they have an extra man - very physical, hassling and dominating midfield yet getting forward in good numbers.

Famara not really providing an outlet, shame we're talking about another Hörður error, he looked solid otherwise.

LJ needs to do something to effect this game or you can see it easily becoming 2, 3 nil by the end.

Shame, cliche I know, but they just look more up for it and there always seems to be a few characters in our team who don't seem to respond well to be hassled and harried in these kind of games.

You can see Marlon and Korey encouraging, but it's a massive second half, time for a few to stand up and be counted for, and get in their faces instead. 

Shocking first half display, the Fielding / Maggs episode really was school-boy stuff. We are lucky to be only one down. Remarkably the stats say that we have had 55% possession!

Unless we vastly improve in the second half we are leaving Deepdale well beaten. The only hopes I have are (1) we can not be this poor for 90 minutes (2) despite dominating PNE are only one up.

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Average first half - let down by a joke goal. We have created no clear cut chances yet.

I dunno, I thought Mags went close with his shot across their keeper. I’m still struggling now to understand how he held on to it. 

5 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

We don't seem good enough for the playoffs unfortunately. Soft underbelly shown yet again!

If we’re not good enough for the playoffs, who is exactly? We were in the play offs at the start of the evening and may still be at the end of it. If the teams below are so superior, why are they below us despite our indifferent form? I suspect we are all similar and there will be plenty more twists and turns to come.

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Agree - We are a small budget club and we buy players who are in our budget bracket - sometimes you do have to spend BIG £s to get quality. Mitrovich is defo that. For us to take the next step, we will have to spend at some stage. The PREM is guaranteed £100M even if you finish bottom apparently?

We can talk budgets all we like. Getting back to tonight's game, we are playing a team with a smaller budget that our own. 

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Well the wages of diony, kent and walsh, plus the transfer fee and loan fees for each of them would have seen us pretty close to what that mitrovic deal is.

I’m not disagreeing per se but we’re clearly not going to be signing 40-50k a week players any time soon. Fulham a massive draw location wise for players and paying big wages. We’re not there yet (bear in mind just last week we were allegedly protesting about ticket prices going up!)

Archived