IGNORED

Don't know about you, but tonight is the night...

Alessandro

I admit to myself I don't think we are going up this year.

I admit my hopes were raised pre-Christmas, but the slow unravelling since then, ending in that poor show again this evening, with a Flint red for elbowing to boot, does it for me.

I'm sure we'll stay top 10 for the rest of the season, but i'm not looking at anyone around us anymore, or at the table or goal differences, fixture lists and form tables.

Hell, if we somehow manage to squeeze in the play-offs (for those who say look at our fixtures now), we haven't looked like hurting a team in the top 8 for some time.

Am I angry, no. Disappointed of course. But after thread after thread about January, about history repeating itself, links to this, similarities to that, what could have been, what should have been....

It's time to stop going round in circles and stop, really stop and understand, and acknowledge that we were never going to go and splash out this January, even with the prospect, or slight possibility of promotion tantalisingly close. 

If we go up, it will be the culmination of years, sorry people, but years of work behind the scenes, years of squad development, brick by brick being put in place.

For me i'm happy we're going in the right direction this season, and would be happy to see us keep doing the things we are trying to do, play the right football till the summer, get some more experience and keep learning.

I think personally I'd like to avoid the playoffs now.

We're not good enough to win them, and I most definitely don't want to give the gas bellends another hero to worship, so it's a no from me.

Hopefully buy a few more quality players in the summer, while fingers crossed not losing any key players, and go again next season.

Even though it's been a great season so far I'm mentally exhausted with it all now, and just want to hit the end of season button.

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Sunderland was the game for me, when I stopped believing and started hoping. We've really messed things up spectacularly. 

We've not really messed things up though if you understand the club are trying to build things gradually. Of course if we got into the playoffs/auto spots etc I'm sure they'd be happy, but they're not in a rush and going to overspend on transfer fees/wages etc in January out of desperation to do it this season. 

If we finish this season in the top 10 I'm pretty sure the club will be happy and see it as a successful step to creating a more established championship club/squad that has the infrastructure and experience to move forwards again closer or into the premier league in the seasons to come. 

It's the sort of thing where, if in 5 seasons time we are in the premier league and have stayed there for a season or two, in part because we have built the club sustainably and on solid foundations, we will look back at this period and appreciate the approach. It's hard for many people to see it now as most people are desperate for the premier league at any sniff of it, but the club will be taking a much longer term approach and view to success.

Of course it could not work out and we will look back and think 'why didn't we go for it in the 2017/18 season', but I respect what the club are trying to do and can see how they will probably be pretty please with how this season has gone. 

5 minutes ago, eardun said:

Although last season the night v Preston was when I feared we would be relegated and look how that turned out! Not over yet. 

For me it's not about giving up. 

It's about expectations. I'll still want us to win every game, but I just can't see we have the depth or quality to go up this season.

So as I say, let's go out and get as many wins as we can, playing in the 'right way' football-wise, and see where we end up. 

I just look at those Preston fans tonight. They were terrific I thought, and you sensed they don't expect it, they enjoy being the underdog, and we've lost that feeling.

Personally never believed we would and said this throughout the season but I couldn’t be prouder to be a City fan. Just look at the clubs we’re competing with Fulham, Boro, Derby, Villa, Preston, Cardiff

All massive massive clubs compared to us and we are trying our upmost, we don’t have the money any of them do and yet we’re amongst it.

If we finish 6th or 12th it’s been a great season and a massive step in the right direction. 

I’m massively disappointed from the position we have been in but you also have to be a realist sometimes 

16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I just look at those Preston fans tonight. They were terrific I thought, and you sensed they don't expect it, they enjoy being the underdog, and we've lost that feeling.

Huh? Terrific? At what? Load of jumped up little kids in the left corner near us but otherwise a lot of empty seats and very quiet fans...

10 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Personally never believed we would and said this throughout the season but I couldn’t be prouder to be a City fan. Just look at the clubs we’re competing with Fulham, Boro, Derby, Villa, Preston, Cardiff

All massive massive clubs compared to us and we are trying our upmost, we don’t have the money any of them do and yet we’re amongst it.

If we finish 6th or 12th it’s been a great season and a massive step in the right direction. 

I’m massively disappointed from the position we have been in but you also have to be a realist sometimes 

Don' think Fulham, Preston or Cardiff are massive clubs compared to us.

2 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Don' think Fulham, Preston or Cardiff are massive clubs compared to us.

Fulham have been in the Europa League final and premier league for years and years.

Cardiff biggest club in Wales and premier league in recent years.

Only one is Preston but their history is superior to ours 

I’m normally as optimistic as they come but tonight has completely knocked the stuffing out of me. The manner of the game ending the way it did more so than the result. 

No doubt 3 points at Burton would remedy it but hard to find positives right now. 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

There was crazy talk from some even a couple of games ago about 2nd. No chance. 

Still we are doing the right things long term - keep going LJ and bringing in players like Brownhill, Pisano and Diedhou.

Do you honestly believe we are going to be building for the future and will be retaining all of our most valuable and ambitious players even if we fail to go up? If you honestly believe that then unfortunately you are on the wrong planet me ol' babbs.

We've been incredibly unlucky with injuries this season...had we kept more players fit, then imo, we would probably have made top 6, going on the way we have performed overall.

I don't think the players have given up or don't believe...it's just realisation that so much has taken it toll this season.

Which in turn leads to mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Do you honestly believe we are going to be building for the future and will be retaining all of our most valuable and ambitious players even if we fail to go up? If you honestly believe that then unfortunately you are on the wrong planet me ol' babbs.

No where did I say that. But the approach is the right one. 

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

You really expected to go up after two years in this division with a shit infrastructure for so many years?

I suggest you talk to your mate...he may tell you how it works.

I get being frustrated...but don't embarrass yourself. ;-)

48 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think personally I'd like to avoid the playoffs now.

We're not good enough to win them, and I most definitely don't want to give the gas bellends another hero to worship, so it's a no from me.

Hopefully buy a few more quality players in the summer, while fingers crossed not losing any key players, and go again next season.

Even though it's been a great season so far I'm mentally exhausted with it all now, and just want to hit the end of season button.

What a ridiculous thing to say. 

Sorry but there was no reason for us to be so limited in our ambition. We had a good team playing great football. Cardif are still second and there is no way they have very showed the  potential  that we did until the collapse in Jan. 

10 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

No where did I say that. But the approach is the right one. 

If you just want to remain in the Championship then it might work. 

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

You really expected to go up after two years in this division with a shit infrastructure for so many years?

I don't expect to go up, but I don't expect us to retain our better players if we don't go up.

In this day and age you can't spend years developing players and building a successful team. Clubs will buy your talent, even if it is just to stick on the bench or in the stiffs.

The cost to replace like for like will also be difficult, especially with our wage structure. So we may take 2 steps forward followed by 2 or 3 back and then slow steps forward again.

I'm not embarrassed, I'm being realistic.

39 minutes ago, RedSA said:

We've not really messed things up though if you understand the club are trying to build things gradually. Of course if we got into the playoffs/auto spots etc I'm sure they'd be happy, but they're not in a rush and going to overspend on transfer fees/wages etc in January out of desperation to do it this season. 

If we finish this season in the top 10 I'm pretty sure the club will be happy and see it as a successful step to creating a more established championship club/squad that has the infrastructure and experience to move forwards again closer or into the premier league in the seasons to come. 

It's the sort of thing where, if in 5 seasons time we are in the premier league and have stayed there for a season or two, in part because we have built the club sustainably and on solid foundations, we will look back at this period and appreciate the approach. It's hard for many people to see it now as most people are desperate for the premier league at any sniff of it, but the club will be taking a much longer term approach and view to success.

Of course it could not work out and we will look back and think 'why didn't we go for it in the 2017/18 season', but I respect what the club are trying to do and can see how they will probably be pretty please with how this season has gone. 

I am so frustrated reading posts like this - and I do not wish to disrespect the poster in any way -  these chances do not come every season regardless of keeping all the players and staff, there is zero chance we can guarantee next season we will be in the same situation with the same opportunity.

It looks like we have blown it and for me much of that is down to the cup run.

I believe the players got ahead of themselves - media chat, transfer talk, big moves etc. As did the coaching staff.

And a dreadful January window

We had a huge chance of automatic, and that is not going to happen clearly.

This is a very hard league to get out of and you have to seize the moment, sadly, we didn't, and for all the talk of building and 'respect for what the club are trying to do' ultimately we will probably never get to the PL because of the lack of ambition.

4 minutes ago, desert said:

Sorry but there was no reason for us to be so limited in our ambition. We had a good team playing great football. Cardif are still second and there is no way they have very showed the  potential  that we did until the collapse in Jan. 

As much as it pains me to say it it's Cardiff that are really rubbing the salt in the wounds at the moment. They really are dire to watch from what I've seen from our two games and what I've seen on tv,  yet are still somehow second and grinding out results with Colin at the helm, whilst we have fallen off the cliff. We were so far above them for so long but they've ridden their storm and look like being right up their for automatic. What could've been eh?! Still, we're not completely out of it yet but we must win Saturday or that will be it imho. Let's give it a good final go. 

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We had a huge chance of automatic

Really? fleeting dreamworld chance maybe.  From my point of view, best seasons football I've seen at the gate for donkeys years. It really looks like we're building something.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

One word - Cardiff.

Dont want to play like them, don't want their manager.

BUT they will be in the PL next season with zero infrastructure.

I find your posts intelligent and insightful however, what I don't understand is your reluctance to realize that to be a self - sustaining club and to grow, we need to get to the PL sooner rather than later.

There is a point, and that is not far away, when the odds are so stacked against us that it becomes impossible.

I despise that fact, but my anger is not going to change it.

10 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

If you just want to remain in the Championship then it might work. 

No the plan is to buy young promising players and develop them. The better players can see what's going on and stay (Flint etc). Get decent loan players in and you can get up to Prem without spending crazy - like Huddersfield etc. 

Archived