IGNORED

Awful Run of Form

Kid in the Riot

Whichever way you cut it, this now has to be considered a properly bad run of form that we're on. Not quite on a par with last season, yet...

But since the Man U game it's 3 wins in 17. The 17 games previous to that? We won 12 of them! Take out the cup defeats and in the league our last 14 reads: W3 D5 L6 = 14pts = relegation form over nearly a third of the league season.

No away win since 8 December  at Sheffield United and frankly in the games I've seen, which is most of them, we haven't looked like winning.

If you were being especially harsh then even the three wins have all been against some of the poorest sides in the division and in the case of Wednesday a significantly weakened side.

What will be, will be this season. Frankly, we've already massive over-achieved in terms of where I thought we'd be at this point but what a stark turnaround in form since that win against United. Especially our away record, which was so impressive earlier in the season (1 defeat in our opening 13 away games, believe it or not).

image.png.8ad0184589d7eaa3f36e1b2e83d0f5bc.png

We've really lacked the ability to switch things up with the injuries we've had, having Pisano would have been huge for us and missing O'Dowda just as he was really hitting form has cost us too, the level of defensive work O'Dowda does compared to our other wingers can't be understated too.

I don't think we've got the squad to have coped with the injuries and intensity of the season we've had so far.

I see no reason why we can't be in the mix again next season if we miss out this time, provided we can retain and add some more quality in depth.

We've seen some fantastic football and inspirational performances this season, lets hope we can see a few more before the play offs slip away from us.

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Whichever way you cut it, this now has to be considered a properly bad run of form that we're on. Not quite on a par with last season, yet...

But since the Man U game it's 3 wins in 17. The 17 games previous to that? We won 12 of them! Take out the cup defeats and in the league our last 14 reads: W3 D5 L6 = 14pts = relegation form over nearly a third of the league season.

No away win since 8 December  at Sheffield United and frankly in the games I've seen, which is most of them, we haven't looked like winning.

If you were being especially harsh then even the three wins have all been against some of the poorest sides in the division and in the case of Wednesday a significantly weakened side.

What will be, will be this season. Frankly, we've already massive over-achieved in terms of where I thought we'd be at this point but what a stark turnaround in form since that win against United. Especially our away record, which was so impressive earlier in the season (1 defeat in our opening 13 away games, believe it or not).

You’ve used the United game as the starting point but given we took 4 points from the following two games, I’d say it was probably the Wolves game which really looks to have been a critical turning point in our season.

It's been a shocking run of form. 

Exposed by a lack of depth and experience, from injuries, suspensions and some drastic loss of form from a few key players, Bryan and Pato to name two IMO.

The January signings have had no impact. 

Massive leaning curve all round and i'm sure the club will re-group and analyse what could have been done differently. 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’ve used the United game as the starting point but given we took 4 points from the following two games, I’d say it was probably the Wolves game which really looks to have been a critical turning point in our season.

That's a fair point and would make the run even worse: 10 points from 12 league games. 

We have came up against a strong solid side away from home tonight and managed to give them as much trouble as an away side is expected to give. 

I feel the cup run may have hindered our season a little bit. Injuries, bans seem to be rife this season. Still plenty of games left but compared to the teams in the playoffs atm, i think we are miles away.

It's a culmination of many things....mostly injuries to key players, that has led to others playing more, who in turn have picked up niggles and had to play with them. Which then leads to full injuries...and players playing within themselves. It's all taken it's toll. Then you get individual errors...it all adds up.

Everyone is disappointed...of course they are. It's natural to feel frustration, especially after doing so well.

But if anyone said at the beginning of the season that we were going to finish mid to upper table and had the fun season we've had, we would have snatched their hand off.

A season too soon imo.

In saying that, you only have to look at so many other teams doing worse than us over the season to take perspective.

It's still hard to take...but sometimes you just need to take another sip and shrug.

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Puts that pathetic pitch invasion in perspective.

Talk about premature ejaculation.

You mean the last minute winner v Man Utd? Really! Blimey.

We are not far away, but really need an away result. Think we are being shown up defensively, and sometimes just try to play to much football. Tonight we came up just a little short against a team in good form. Couple of mistakes by us, effective subs by them that added to them, and that is that.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

You mean the last minute winner v Man Utd? Really! Blimey.

We are not far away, but really need an away result. Think we are being shown up defensively, and sometimes just try to play to much football. Tonight we came up just a little short against a team in good form. Couple of mistakes by us, effective subs by them that added to them, and that is that.

We just aren't cute enough in certain situations.

Preston's second goal should have been sorted out near the half way line when McGuire received the ball. Commit a foul...why allow a player to run at you from that far out? Commit foul and reorganise.

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've got to say Kid, that the majority of your posts are bang on the money in terms of giving those with rose tinted specs a stark reality check. It isn't great and you can't sugar coat a turd. 

This is the same pattern as last season, excellent run followed by almost suicidal run. 

Just when you think that we have learnt from the mistakes of the past they come back and bite us hard on the arse.

Yet, some of our fan base are fiercely loyal to the project and always believing, even in the face of an unacceptable and inexplicable implosion? None are as blind as those that will not see.

The pictures actually make it look worse! 

Evolution not revolution- heaven forbid!!!!!!

44 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So many false dawns in that run too. Win with 10 men after drawing away against the form team of the time, Derby then lose at bloody Bolton.

3 0 and 2 0 up two games in a row, draws. 

A 'winning' draw against the new form team then a shocker against the Welsh.

A 4-0 spanking followed by our usual way to defeat v Preston.

Totally agonising, someone just put us out of our misery.

Yep it's been a spectacular collapse.

The frustrating thing is that on three occasions (QPR, Fulham and Sheff Wed) we looked to have turned the corner with decent performances, only to be shite again the following game. This bad run is like a turd that won't flush. It's not simply a case of getting a win to restore confidence, it's much deeper than that. We made a dogs dinner of the January window, players have lost form and confidence and injuries have crippled us.

All that said, LJ has got us out of darker spots than this, no reason to think that he won't do it again. Whether it will be enough for the top six though, I seriously doubt.

One thing I'd add here is that we are possibly overstating our poor form a little. Last 9 games: 2 wins, 4 draws, 3 defeats. Not great but not awful; a mixed bag. It's not like we're getting hammered week in week out.

It's the decline compared to pre-Christmas that is most disappointing, and if we'd converted a couple of those horror draws to wins as we should have done, it wouldn't look quite as bad.

I think what we are seeing now is something closer to the up-and-down season we were probably expecting in the first place.

59 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

It's been a shocking run of form. 

Exposed by a lack of depth and experience, from injuries, suspensions and some drastic loss of form from a few key players, Bryan and Pato to name two IMO.

The January signings have had no impact. 

Massive leaning curve all round and i'm sure the club will re-group and analyse what could have been done differently. 

Bryan has been pretty poor ever since he posted that sarky Christmas card

14 minutes ago, harrys said:

Yes, we are on an absolutely horrific run but only some teams go through this, (Derby are six without a win) we have a fairly favourable run in so still all to play for, it could be a bumpy ride

Fixed that for you.

49 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

So many false dawns in that run too. Win with 10 men after drawing away against the form team of the time, Derby then lose at bloody Bolton.

3 0 and 2 0 up two games in a row, draws. 

A 'winning' draw against the new form team then a shocker against the Welsh.

A 4-0 spanking followed by our usual way to defeat v Preston.

Totally agonising, someone just put us out of our misery.

Got to to be said, that graphic of 17 games includes Man City twice, Watford, Villa, Wolves, Cardiff, Derby, Fulham, and now Preston.

Yes we are falling a bit short right now, but it is for me it is the Bolton, Sunderland and Norwich results that are really costing us. Last four games, won the expected game, drew v Fulham, and just edged out away at Cardiff and Preston. 

Not over yet, but got to beat the teams now we 'should' do. All it really needs. Not saying I am confident we will, but for instance on Saturday we have Burton and Preston have Fulham. Lets not give up just yet. Next three games Boro have Barnsley, Brentford, Wolves, we have Burton, Ipswich, Barnsley.

36 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Yep it's been a spectacular collapse.

The frustrating thing is that on three occasions (QPR, Fulham and Sheff Wed) we looked to have turned the corner with decent performances, only to be shite again the following game. This bad run is like a turd that won't flush. It's not simply a case of getting a win to restore confidence, it's much deeper than that. We made a dogs dinner of the January window, players have lost form and confidence and injuries have crippled us.

All that said, LJ has got us out of darker spots than this, no reason to think that he won't do it again. Whether it will be enough for the top six though, I seriously doubt.

Agree with first paragraph. 

Your second highlights the real problem. He doesn't have the experience and perhaps the ability to bring consistency to our performances. One third of every season going down the toilet. 

Burton, Ipswich & Barnsley are the next 3.  If we harbor any hopes of playoffs then 9 points is needed from these (7 at minimum).  Given the run of games to the end of the season thereafter, we could end up with only 1 or 2 more wins.

BIG 3 games.

A key thing that made that made this spell so damaging IMO...this was the second questionable spell of the season.

August... One win, 3 draws and 1 loss in 5. 

In hindsight, that put pressure on... Which until the blow up v Wolves at home, we responded brilliantly to.

However, that slow start reduced our margin for error, because a team can afford one such spell like this, but 2? You've had it, certainly for automatic. This was, albeit for much longer, our 2nd poor spell and that tends to wreck promotion hopes tbh.

Archived