IGNORED

Completely cocked it up... Have we?

desert

I know, I know..I,m being, negative .  Great congrats to LJ for turning us into a great footballing team pre new year who pressed and played and won. But we had this huge opportunity and we seem to have just thrown it away. I know it's not easy and every other team is looking to invest and improve and it's a tough league but still.... We signed 3 players. One for thefuture in centre mid who appeared and then disappeared; a confidence lacking French striker with no experience in England - who was always going to need time to get going  and rebuild confidence; and a young lad who a can dribble but can't/won't pass and can flatter to deceive but with little end product - and put him in to a team that is supposedly all about possession and quick pass and move. I don't claim to be an expert but if you are a possession based team then I'm not sure how it works with a player that loses you th ball eventually more often than he doesn't - which has made us fragile to transition. Against both Manchester clubs we would have been destroyed if we had given the ball away so easily and allowed regular transition. And perhaps signed though an agreement that means we have to play him or pay money.  

Just seems to me that our Jan business was a disaster and we had such a big opportunity to make a generational shift in the status of our football team and we just completely blew it . I've been supporting City for over 45 years and I just am so tired of the disappointment. When we were 1 0 up at home to Wolves who would have predicted such a disastrous January and February? The answer is sadly too many of us coz it's just what we do.  It's just so f*****g exhausting supporting this club. If we don't make the playoffs offs given our position and potential in late December then it would be pretty much a case of negligence by those running the club ...

It is the reality of the situation, but on another thread your post would make you spineless, gutless and pathetic and someone who never goes to matches to support the team, and someone who has delighted in seeing us lose....for 45 years!!!

The anger is mainly born out of frustration and disappointment in not doing what really needs to be done in order for us to achieve success. Managerial appointments, tactics, players, deals, sell on clauses, in house fighting, failure to do the right deals at the right time, losing our best talent, watching clubs like Swindon, Blackpool, Bournemouth, Brighton, Swansea etc, come from nowhere and reach the top flight without the same lame excuses we hear from our club. These are the frustrations of Bristol City fans and always will be....but it really is just frustration.

Kent was rather good last season at Barnsley could it be that we are using him differently? Yes he should be fitting into our side first and foremost, but I doubt we're seeing his best.

Walsh... Dunno why he has disappeared. Could be useful as part of a central 3 IMO.

Diony...probably the biggest error. He looks shot, doubt he will recover form, touch or confidence any time soon.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

still, we're getting our disappointment in early, rather than at  Wembley, we all know .we don't do play-offs !  we can just laugh at the other 3 who made it ..and failed !:cool:

I won't be laughing if C**tdiff get promoted (auto or via playoffs)

1 hour ago, bobby kellard was go said:

Maybe january was steve lansdown saying "maybe ive spent enough for now" ? 

just a thought

Lansdown is a financial services billionaire. Surely he, over anyone, would know the right time to speculate on an opportunity. January was unquestionably an opportunity.

I reckon we just weren’t able to get our top targets as we weren’t willing to pay. Seems pretty clear we wanted Hugill (who ended up in the Prem) supposedly Grabban (Villa) and maybe Afobe (Wolves) too.

Those were the prime available forwards that were potentially realistic and all ended up at bigger paying clubs than us. I’d be incredibly surprised if Diony, given the context of his English football experience, was our number 1 target as a forward.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lansdown is a financial services billionaire. Surely he, over anyone, would know the right time to speculate on an opportunity. January was unquestionably an opportunity.

I reckon we just weren’t able to get our top targets as we weren’t willing to pay. Seems pretty clear we wanted Hugill (who ended up in the Prem) supposedly Grabban (Villa) and maybe Afobe (Wolves) too.

Those were the prime available forwards that were potentially realistic and all ended up at bigger paying clubs than us. I’d be incredibly surprised if Diony, given the context of his English football experience, was our number 1 target as a forward.

The lack of quality in January really is what's cost us........just as it did 10 years ago!

When will we learn?

Do we know the FFP impacts would have have had on signing the likes of Grabban? What would the impact of having someone like Grabban on big wages on the top scorer in the championship (Reid).

I think the club and head coach and also many other managers have said that the January window is not a great time for signing players due to inflated cost.

March 7th today and time to move on from the January window......

Archived