IGNORED

Win or Bust at Burton

BCFC J

Can't say we didn't expect that tonight. It doesn't make it any less disappointing, but we just never seem to get anything against these.

I really, really am clinging onto the slightest bit of hope but Saturday is going to show what we're made of. I'm praying Baker is back but it's not looking likely given he didn't even travel with the squad today so our back four is going to be incredibly makeshift. 

It doesn't matter how the **** we win, just win City. 0-4 like Saturday, 0-1 in the 96th minute off Woodrow's arse, I couldn't care less, but three points are absolutely vital. 

We've got a few favourable fixtures after Burton as well but I feel head's would drop from everyone at the club if we don't get something there.

Let's ******* have it City, one final push and let's see what we can make of this season.

Nope. Saturday is still not a MUST win - even in a play off context. 

It’s certainly a “really could do with winning” game. But worst case scenario, we’ll be what.. 4 points of 6th place, with 27 left to play for. 

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I think wherever we finish, we want to end the season in a little bit of form.

If Pisano cannot manage 90 and Baker is out, struggling to think what our back line looks like however.

The good old back 2

Wright ..... Kelly

3 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Would assume it'll be Pisano - Wright - Kelly - Mags.

If Pisano isn't fit enough for 90 minutes though, what are our options? (Assuming Baker is out)

Well Baldwin travelled with the team today..... and how's the U23's right back getting on? :fear:

Just feel like, psychologically, we’re in a bad place. If City had been up and down all season and then we found ourselves 1 point from the play offs with 10 to go there would be huge excitement and Ashton Gate would be electric. 

As it is, having been in such a good position, the entire place feels a bit deflated. 

The management need to work on that with the players. Say, what’s happened has happened, we’re playing a 10 match season now and we still have a good a chance as anyone to get in that top 6. 

Just string two wins together and I think we’ll all be buzzing again. Hell, who knows, maybe if we drop off a bit and then come roaring back it will be a huge advantage! One can hope. 

10 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Just feel like, psychologically, we’re in a bad place. If City had been up and down all season and then we found ourselves 1 point from the play offs with 10 to go there would be huge excitement and Ashton Gate would be electric. 

As it is, having been in such a good position, the entire place feels a bit deflated. 

The management need to work on that with the players. Say, what’s happened has happened, we’re playing a 10 match season now and we still have a good a chance as anyone to get in that top 6. 

Just string two wins together and I think we’ll all be buzzing again. Hell, who knows, maybe if we drop off a bit and then come roaring back it will be a huge advantage! One can hope. 

I think that is right. Preston will feel they have a real chance right now, and are still behind us.

Last four games, we have won the only game you would say was one we shouod win, drawn v Fulham, and just edged out away at Cardiff and Preston. Much better second half today and could have got something on another day.

Back line worries me as does the bench, but for me there are some positive signs recently. Think the top six might well finish as they are now, but next three games, Burton, Ipswich, Barnsley. Little bit of luck, little bit of form, and who knows.

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I think that is right. Preston will feel they have a real chance right now, and are still behind us.

Last four games, we have won the only game you would say was one we shouod win, drawn v Fulham, and just edged out away at Cardiff and Preston. Much better second half today and could have got something on another day.

Back line worries me as does the bench, but for me there are some positive signs recently. Think the top six might well finish as they are now, but next three games, Burton, Ipswich, Barnsley. Little bit of luck, little bit of form, and who knows.

I’m certainly not giving up yet. I have to say, I really don’t EXPECT to be promoted or, honestly, think that we will be. But the play offs are a lottery and we can match anyone on our day. 

And this might be proper glass half full thinking, but suspensions to Flint and Bryan COULD be a blessing in disguise. A couple of weeks rest and then come back and give everything they’ve got in the last 7-8. Would love to see Djuric and O’Dowda back too. 

If we can get 5 or 6 points from the next 3, we’ll still have a launchpad going into the finale. Always believe!

The problem here is that we know the way Burton play and we cannot seem to break down teams that play like this.

We certainly can't expect to carry on doing the same thing as we've been doing and expect a different result. It's time to do something different.

I do know that sometimes, the best way to play against a packed defence is to attack them with wingers.

It will be interesting to see how Lee sets the team up for this one, but we are slowly running out of games now.

And while we are at it how about a change of goalkeeper too, we did very well when Steele was playing in the cup. maybe that's no coincidence.

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The problem here is that we know the way Burton play and we cannot seem to break down teams that play like this.

We certainly can't expect to carry on doing the same thing as we've been doing and expect a different result. It's time to do something different.

I do know that sometimes, the best way to play against a packed defence is to attack them with wingers.

It will be interesting to see how Lee sets the team up for this one, but we are slowly running out of games now.

And while we are at it how about a change of goalkeeper too, we did very well when Steele was playing in the cup. maybe that's no coincidence.

I’m not sure that Burton play the same way at home as they do in away games. Their home record is poor - probably because they have to play more on the front foot there. 

Taking the lead is key on Saturday. Give them something to defend and they will be exactly what we struggle against. 

Pretty much every game from now on is a must win if we want playoffs. Teams like Burton, Birmingham and Barnsley all there for the taking and we have to be cynical. Our toughest fixtures left are Boro away, Millwall away and Sheff U at home. The other 7 are very winnable and of the 21 available there we need to be taking 16-18 at least. Plus getting 3-4 from the tougher matches.

That would leave us with a chance. We haven’t blown it but we have taken it from extremely likely to make playoffs to probably the least favourite of the next 3-4 outside the top 6 right now. We have been poor when average would have been good enough. We got to the point where now average isn’t good enough. We have to have top 2-3 form from here on out to do this. I don’t care about transfer windows, injuries, tiredness, or mistakes. We are better than the form we are in and need to show it again. 

Top half was amazing before the season but circumstances change. We all have seen how good we can be. 10th? 11th? 12th? Not good enough now. Sorry. You can’t be so two faced as a team. We played out of our skin at times, fair enough but this run isn’t averages working out over a season. This is plain bad. We aren’t as well equipped as other top 8 teams but we are damn sure better than 10 points from 10 and that is the disappointment. 30 points to play for now. 1.7 per game we wanted over each 10. Think we need a bit more now. 20 is a tough ask but at worst I want to see that fight back. I want us to still have that chance come final game or two or the championship season is a disappointment

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Nope. Saturday is still not a MUST win - even in a play off context. 

It’s certainly a “really could do with winning” game. But worst case scenario, we’ll be what.. 4 points of 6th place, with 27 left to play for. 

If we can't beat Burton the players may as well go and get a Saturday job in Burtons. 

Saturday is must win - against a team with the worst home record in the entire EFL! What could possibly go wrong?!

Win and we will be 1 point off 5th (with Derby not playing until Sunday - Forest away!) - Lose and we are likely to be 4 points behind 6th (Boro at home to Barnsley) which then becomes a gap which I don’t see is clawing back!

A huge three days for LJ - he needs to install some confidence back into our flagging team!

Oh and having Baker fit will help! Back four of Pisano, Baker, Wright and dare I say Maggers sounds so much stronger with Bakes in there!

17 hours ago, cityexile said:

I think wherever we finish, we want to end the season in a little bit of form.

If Pisano cannot manage 90 and Baker is out, struggling to think what our back line looks like however.

If we finish the season in form, we will make the play-offs. I think Wolves, Cardiff, Villa and Fulham are as nailed on for the play-offs as teams could ever be but every other team in the division has struggled for form and consistency and even Villa, Fulham or Cardiff could yet dip. Boro look like they are getting stronger and Derby like they are getting weaker whilst Sheff Utd, Preston and Brentford are all having good moments and bad moment and will continue to do so.

Any of the above teams who maintains good form for the next two months is going to be in the playoffs, ourselves included. 

17 hours ago, hodge said:

Its not over until its mathematically impossible, say we got a draw and some of the others around us lost its still not game over, the form does seriously need to be corrected though.

We won’t be finishing in the playoffs because we ain’t good enough. We’ve bottled it and gone to pieces. I’ll be surprised if we finish above Millwall. 

Archived