IGNORED

The end of the NME

Lanterne Rouge

The music paper that I suspect most of us grew up reading will be no more, in print anyway. The last edition will be published on Friday. Who can forget the iconic covers, The Clash, Morrissey et al.

I still remember my favourite single review from there. It was for some horrendous disco shite called `The Cream Always Rises To The Top` and the review just said `and shit floats`

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I read a free copy on the train a couple of years ago and it was mostly about the pros and cons of various cardboard cut-out indie gimps' haircuts. Not sure it was quite what it used to be.

It had gone downhill a long time ago TBH. I can`t remember the last time I bought a copy. it`s still a shame though, so many memories.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Grab a free copy from Temple Meads every Friday, but most of it now is political rants from crap reporters, sadly not surprised a once great publication has gone to the wall

Yeah, the days of printed new and music papers are numbered with the easily accessible info via the internet and of course programs like Sky Arts and BBC4 documentaries 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, the days of printed new and music papers are numbered with the easily accessible info via the internet and of course programs like Sky Arts and BBC4 documentaries 

Alas it's true, I used to get NME and Sounds, back in the day..

• Admin

As has been said, an essential read in the 70’s, cutting edge, reporting London trends and spreading them around the country (for young u’ns reading this, no SM)   It wasn’t afraid to print the truth, bad reviews and I recall a great satirical centre spread one day with songs rewritten to reflect the cash the big names were accumulating.  IIRC, Robert Plant was ‘ Building a Mansion in Nassau’, to name just one.

Started buying it in the mid 60s and carried on right through to the mid 80s. For a brilliant music paper they did some fantastic in-depth political stuff, most memorably on the Bristol (St Pauls) riots of 1980, and the conspiracy theory of the possibility that the CIA arranged John Lennon's murder, just as he was coming out of a self imposed retirement.  

When the free paper used to get handed out at Temple Meads etc on a Friday I would always take one, but it was a pale shadow of the paper that I used to look forward to buying every week.

Archived