IGNORED

Would this keep everyone happy?

SydneyCity

Recently, there's been a bit of conversation on here about the club badge; and what it should (and should not) be.  As expected, there were very different opinions floating around. Broadly speaking they were:

• Robin, bridge and football.
  • The Bristol coat of arms.
  • Something simple like Brentford's.

At the time, I wondered if there was an option that could keep "everyone" happy. Today I got home from work, stopped wondering and set out to create the most Bristol City / OTIB community / Crowd pleasing badge I could think of. This is the first (and most likely last) draught of where I got to.

• The overall design of the badge is a shield. It's shape and colour represents a robin's chest.
  • Inside the shield there is a coat of arms that takes the meaning of the original - a ship and castle to signify a strongly fortified harbour - but updates our strongly fortified harbour to include the SS Great Britain and the Suspension Bridge. 
  • Above the Suspension Bridge there is a robin in full flight. The robin was created by repeating the shape of Concorde's nose over and over again.
  • The SS Great Britain is facing forwards, never retreating.
  • The unicorns are still there, as unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue.
  • The helmet/arms/scales/serpents from the original coat of arms have been removed. The meaning given to all of those elements was that "good government depends on wisdom and justice and these are divine gifts from above." They've been replaced with a representation of our own wise, just and noble gift from above… a gold crown with eight marks on it - one for each of the Ashton Gate Eight.
  • The font is Gill Sans Bold which was created in 1926 for the signage of a Bristol bookshop.

The design is pretty simple but still needs quite a bit of work to tighten it all up. To be honest, it's probably not going to happen because it's 1am here, the missus thinks I'm mad for doing it in the first place, and I have work again tomorrow morning.

For what it's worth, I'm firmly from the robin, bridge and football era; and am a big fan of the screeching robin on a football badge that someone on here created not so long ago.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Good or bad, it doesn't really matter as I had fun doing it!

BristolCity_Badge_V1.png

12 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

Recently, there's been a bit of conversation on here about the club badge; and what it should (and should not) be.  As expected, there were very different opinions floating around. Broadly speaking they were:

At the time, I wondered if there was an option that could keep "everyone" happy. Today I got home from work, stopped wondering and set out to create the most Bristol City / OTIB community / Crowd pleasing badge I could think of. This is the first (and most likely last) draught of where I got to.

• The overall design of the badge is a shield. It's shape and colour represents a robin's chest.
  • Inside the shield there is a coat of arms that takes the meaning of the original - a ship and castle to signify a strongly fortified harbour - but updates our strongly fortified harbour to include the SS Great Britain and the Suspension Bridge. 
  • Above the Suspension Bridge there is a robin in full flight. The robin was created by repeating the shape of Concorde's nose over and over again.
  • The unicorns are still there, as unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue.
  • The helmet/arms/scales/serpents from the original coat of arms have been removed. The meaning given to all of those elements was that "good government depends on wisdom and justice and these are divine gifts from above." They've been replaced with a representation of our own wise, just and noble gift from above… a gold crown with eight marks on it - one for each of the Ashton Gate Eight.
  • The font is Gill Sans Bold which was created in 1926 for the signage of a Bristol bookshop.

The design is pretty simple but still needs quite a bit of work to tighten it all up. To be honest, it's probably not going to happen because it's 1am here, the missus thinks I'm mad for doing it in the first place, and I have work again tomorrow morning.

For what it's worth, I'm firmly from the robin, bridge and football era; and am a big fan of the screeching robin on a football badge that someone on here created not so long ago.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Good or bad, it doesn't really matter as I had fun doing it!

BristolCity_Badge_V1.png

Should be 1894!

But not bad!

50 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

BristolCity_Badge_V1.png

Nice job , well done .

52 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

BristolCity_Badge_V1.png

:clap::clap::clap:

Very good effort. Id argue a few tweaks tho.

- If the badge is symbolic enough. It makes the need for words null, as currently they make it sightly cluttered. An example of which is Burnley's badge, or Fulham.

- Getting rid of the words means it could be possible enlarge, making it more of the focal point. This also means the retaining border could be made shorter so that there isnt such an excess of jjust colour.

Outside of that I wonder if it would be possible to make the SS Great Britain landscape in style more reminiscent of the new Man City badge. That way you may be able to have the Robin more central. I believe a recent badge post on another thread had a fairly aggressive robin with wings outstretched.

While I like the 70s Robin/bridge (I have the tattoo to prove it)  I really like that the Bristol crest is associated with us, Bristol is ours after all.

I would , however , love to see the Robin and bridge badge on the back of the shirt and used on stuff like training kits and leisure wear.

Good work mate. I like it. 

Only thing I’d say though - if there were no words on there, how would we know it’s for the football club. The robin/bridge design had the robin standing on a football. 

Is there any way you can include a football or Ashton Gate into it, to really symbolise the football theme? 

13 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I like everything but the shape of the crest and the sizing of the words, other than that, it's ******* magnificent. The central crest is gorgeous.

I don't disagree with anything you've said there. The crest was proving to be difficult with the unicorns and it was getting late, so the words just kind of got slapped on at the end.

11 hours ago, Fuber said:

Very good effort. Id argue a few tweaks tho.

- If the badge is symbolic enough. It makes the need for words null, as currently they make it sightly cluttered. An example of which is Burnley's badge, or Fulham.

- Getting rid of the words means it could be possible enlarge, making it more of the focal point. This also means the retaining border could be made shorter so that there isnt such an excess of jjust colour.

Outside of that I wonder if it would be possible to make the SS Great Britain landscape in style more reminiscent of the new Man City badge. That way you may be able to have the Robin more central. I believe a recent badge post on another thread had a fairly aggressive robin with wings outstretched.

Yep, agree with your first two points. It was getting late and the unicorns weren't playing nicely with the shield. The words aren't sitting that pretty in their current format.

I did try the SS Great Britain in landscape but it's a bloody long ship!

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Is there any way you can include a football or Ashton Gate into it, to really symbolise the football theme? 

Glad you like it!

I did try incorporating Ashton Gate, but the new non-symmetrical stand wasn't working for me at the time. Everything else was balanced along the centre vertical line and the pointy top left bit of the stadium (sorry I've been overseas for the last 15 years and don't know its official name) was throwing everything else out. Trying to incorporate it did lead to me turning it upside down, which inspired the design of the crown with the eight marks.

I didn't try footballs so I'll try out a few options over the weekend. In keeping with the robin badge, I'll aim for the black and white panel style of ball instead of the older strip panels that feature in a lot of other badges.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for all the feedback. Based on everything that's been said, I'll tinker with it for another hour or so over the weekend to include:

• More subtle, less cluttered wording.
  • A more effective outer crest/shield/shape.
  • A football(s).
  • A proper looking bridge.

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Based on everything that's been said, I'll tinker with it for another hour or so over the weekend to include:

• More subtle, less cluttered wording.
  • A more effective outer crest/shield/shape.
  • A football(s).
  • A proper looking bridge.

Some sort of tribute to me would be good too. Cheers. 

Archived