IGNORED

Burton Albion (Away) - What can we expect?

Davefevs

So, here we go again...probably against the team I know least about, when I look at recent line-ups, but a squad full of experienced players, who I know more about.  So a difficult one to pick and analyse.  This will be Burton’s 3rd hope game on the trot, having the sandwiched away game last weekend called off.  Here;s how they’ve linedup in those previous 2 home games, a 0-1 v Millwall and a 0-2 to Brentford on Tuesday.D4470DDC-83CF-423B-BE55-4DBF752D1439.thumb.jpeg.afa1fec1865dcaec3142063afdb71a6d.jpeg

22576854-91C9-46E1-B8FD-BE6246D048F7.thumb.jpeg.945966c222a97c63844e0329750bf526.jpeg

So looks like 4141, suggesting a slightly defensive set-up, and backed up by only 26 goals (62 in their own net).  If you want further detail or optimism, here’s their home form.

1608377D-071A-4B9F-B0AE-52EBA650DB88.thumb.jpeg.548511856331ea200d898a1edd1199a7.jpeg

A measly 9 points (City have 25) from 18 games.

Ok, onto the players:

GK: Steven Bywater - experienced keeper, who’s played a lot at this level.  Suggest his better days are behind him, and bits and bobs I’ve seen on the FLS confirm this.

RB: Lucas Akins - bit surprised to see the winger playing here, which suggests that either he plays more like a wing-back with the DM sitting very deep, or he’s filling a gap (we know all about this).  I’ve always quite liked him, but you’d hope we can stop him foraging Forward.

LB: John Brayford - typically a RB, who at 30 has had a good career at this level (Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Derby).  Steady player, long throw from memory.  Damien McCrory, ex-Plymouth, but that’s all I know.

CB: Kyle McFadzean - very physical ex-Dons man, who partnered Flint at Alfreton, and was on our radar before we signed our cult hero.  Will put his body on the line, but also over-step the limit.  A player away fans dislike.  Tom Naylor - another ex-Alfreton man (loan!) who’s followed the journey to Burton via Derby.  Regular in the side and a danger at set-plays.  Jake Buxton - ex-Derby, at 33, he’s been a regular until the end of January.  Tom Flanagan - ex-MK, versatile along the back four.  Ben Turner - ex-Cardiff, a CB who I liked the look of, like Flanagan has been left out since January.

DM: Jacob Davenport - 19 year old on loan from Man City.  That is the extent of my knowledge.

CM: Jamie Allen - ex-Rochdale man.  The best CM I saw against us in our 14/15 season.  Had a bad injury.  Tenacious midfielder in the Korey mould.  Hope Akpan - ex-Blackburn midfielder who looked good against us in 15/16 season when we had 10 men...very ordinary when we had 11!  Luke Murphy - former Crewe man who went to Leeds with huge potential, but although he played 100+ games there, never hit the heights.

WM: Lloyd Dyer - dangerman, even at 35.  The type of skilful wideman who have good games against City.  Martin Samuelson - Norwegian, on loan from West Ham.  Prominent in Peterborough’s FAC run season before last.  Lightweight then, but good technical ability.

ST: Darren Bent - doesn’t he always score against us?  Not much more to say, well travelled, Derby loanee.  Liam Boyce - record signing who has didn’t the vast majority of the season injured.  Scored on his return but not since.  Marvin Sordell - talented youngster at Watford, then Bolton, and part of GB’s Olympic Squad.  Hard-working, but just 2 goals in 30 appearances (21 starts) tells it’s own story.  Luke Varney - wide forward, huffs and puffs, looks like he might have something, but at 35, not a threat anymore.  Must be a veggie as it list Quorn FC as one of his former clubs - perhaps we’ll see him at Forest Vegan Rovers next!

How Do We Come Home With 3 Points?:

With a capacity of almost 7k, and 25% of a full crowd being City fans (1750), then a vocal away support might help counteract a tight ground where typically hone support may make it intimidating.  Have seen little of Burton, but they play a bit like Cardiff, everything quick, little time to settle.  If LJ got it wrong trying to match Cardiff with Power, then we may see him go with his technical players.  Formation may depend very much on the fitness of Baker.  Perhaps 442 with Baker, 352 (Pisano, Wright, Magnússon) Without. At the end of the day, keeping a clean sheet will be key.  Too many goals conceded of late that you could argue may have been avoided.  Diedhiou to take care of McFadzean and then allow Reid to create the spark.

I do expect us to win tomorrow.  This Burton side are not the surprise package of 16/17 season, and we need to take advantage.  One game does not make a season, but failure to get 3 points tomorrow will feel like it, and would be a huge dent in our confidence.  

They don't look too bad going forward mind.

I've always liked Jamie Allen, I thought we should've been in for him while we were in L1. 

Anything less than a win will be a bridge too far for us to get back in to the playoffs imo, the effect on confidence will be huge. Are they still as direct as last year Dave? Always associated Burton with quick wingers getting in behind and teeing up crosses for a big man.

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Last season we were soooo lucky to win up there...despite having Kodjia and Tammy up front...they were a solid side and caused us loads of problems....I couldn’t believe we walked away with three points...

They looked decent but lacked a striker, I believe Akins was up front?

Archived