IGNORED

We don't want no chuckle bruvvers at the back against Burton

29 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Hate to point this out but, "Don't want NO Chuckle Brothers back" means we DO want...

Was always told that by my English teacher at school!

Double negatives!

(Not the Chuckle Brothers !!!)

:innocent06:

23 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

This is a genuine question. Are you saying that you would like them to get it forward quick? & not play our football? COYR 

Possession football is lauded as being a good thing but it means very little if it's in your own half and the ball just goes out of play after 15 consecutive passes.

In fact it can be very frustrating and boring to watch.

Pro. football is not 5 a side and it's not a chess match, it needs action and tackles to get the crowd going and build an atmosphere; passing the ball around 5 yards sideways, backwards, or in little triangles can become stultifying, and the longer it goes on for with no real sign of progressing forward the more tedious it can become.

If you are going to play that way you need someone capable of regularly seeing and executing a killer pass, something we've lacked for some time. You also need to accommodate alternative players  (Kent/Eliasson, ANO) who can throw the opposition off guard by bursting forward at speed to take the game past their midfield.

It's vital we don't get bogged down if the opposition are the sort of team where our passing game is mostly nullified.

If there's no end product in terms of at least moving the action in to threatening areas of the opposition half, and therefore disrupting their midfield and rearguard formations, possession football is fairly worthless.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Possession football is lauded as being a good thing but it means very little if it's in your own half and the ball just goes out of play after 15 consecutive passes.

Pro. football is not 5 a side and it's not a chess match, it needs action and tackles to get the crowd going and build an atmosphere; passing the ball around 5 yards sideways, backwards, or in little triangles can become stultifying, and the longer it goes on for with no real sign of progressing forward the more tedious it can become.

If you are going to play that way you need someone capable of regularly seeing and executing a killer pass, something we've lacked for some time. You also need to accommodate alternative players  (Kent/Eliasson, ANO) who can throw the opposition off guard by bursting forward at speed to take the game past their midfield.

It's vital we don't get bogged down if the opposition are the sort of team where our passing game is mostly nullified.

If there's no end product in terms of at least moving the action in to threatening areas of the opposition half, and therefore disrupting their midfield and rearguard formations, possession football is fairly worthless.

So Barcelona have it all wrong then?

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

So Barcelona have it all wrong then?

Did you miss the bit about how important it is to have someone capable of regularly seeing and executing a killer pass?

Barcelona may have 1 or 2 of them.

5 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I know it is heresy but I don't enjoy the way Barcelona like to play, all that tikka takka stuff, I would much rather watch Man City.

Kevin De Bruyne running  through from midfield beats all these intricate triangles

Agreed.

The highlights of the few moments when it all comes off for Barcelona are great viewing, but imo. they are a very, very boring watch the other 95% of the time.

Apart from that BCFC simply don't have the calibre of players to try and emulate them even at our level if the like of Burton and Millwall can frustrate us so easily.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

One of Frank's biggest weaknesses is his decision making when coming off his line. At his age, if he still can't do it very well then I guess he never will. So jittery and uncertain. He often doesn't come when he should, or comes too late or comes when he shouldn't. Didn't help that another nervous player in mags was the one there to clear it.

Frankie’s issue in respect of the highlighted bit is often his starting position....6 yard line, whereas I think he should be penalty spot.  It’s not like being in the edge of your box like ROD v Sidwell.

I played with a good shot stopper who was a 6 yard liner....it always meant he had further to come for through balls, and created too big a gap between us in the back four and him.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Preston showed us how to get the ball forward quickly and efficiently. 

We do play some lovely stuff at times but I  would appreciate a bit more of a cutting edge and purpose to it .

The Kent critics don't see the panic he causes when he runs at the opposition with the ball .

He isn't the finished article but is like a Junior Bent , Goodridge, Haynes or more recently Freeman , the incertitude of the outcome  can cause mistakes .

We are sometimes a bit too cautious, as LJ says it's down to decision making.

49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Preston showed us how to get the ball forward quickly and efficiently. 

We do play some lovely stuff at times but I  would appreciate a bit more of a cutting edge and purpose to it .

The Kent critics don't see the panic he causes when he runs at the opposition with the ball .

He isn't the finished article but is like a Junior Bent , Goodridge, Haynes or more recently Freeman , the incertitude of the outcome  can cause mistakes .

We are sometimes a bit too cautious, as LJ says it's down to decision making.

'Incertitude...word of the day Major..

Let's hope it doesn't apply to the team today!

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

One of Frank's biggest weaknesses is his decision making when coming off his line. At his age, if he still can't do it very well then I guess he never will. So jittery and uncertain. He often doesn't come when he should, or comes too late or comes when he shouldn't. Didn't help that another nervous player in mags was the one there to clear it.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Frankie’s issue in respect of the highlighted bit is often his starting position....6 yard line, whereas I think he should be penalty spot.  It’s not like being in the edge of your box like ROD v Sidwell.

I played with a good shot stopper who was a 6 yard liner....it always meant he had further to come for through balls, and created too big a gap between us in the back four and him.

Agree with both of these posts.

A decisive consistent keeper breeds confidence in the back line - defenders will know exactly what the keeper is going to do in any given situation, subsequently making it easier for them to consider the options.

With  Frankie it doesn't look like he knows what he's going to do himself until the last second, which is often too late, so what chance do our defenders have?

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Did you miss the bit about how important it is to have someone capable of regularly seeing and executing a killer pass?

Barcelona may have 1 or 2 of them.

No I didn't, but I have not witnessed a more competent team in Barca that are so much at ease with possession, they were the team that reinvented football, not since the days of Brazil in the 60's and before that  Puskas and Co: had we ever witnessed  football like that. All great teams play with possession football as a priority, it's just that we are not good enough to execute it.

55 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

No I didn't, but I have not witnessed a more competent team in Barca that are so much at ease with possession, they were the team that reinvented football, not since the days of Brazil in the 60's and before that  Puskas and Co: had we ever witnessed  football like that. All great teams play with possession football as a priority, it's just that we are not good enough to execute it.

As I said above.

Brazil '70 played with extreme flair, their natural ebullience was not stifled in any way. Wonderful team.

Tippy tappy without players of suitable calibre to make regular breakthroughs is just dull. Even when those players are available, as in Barcelona's case, it is still dull for the neutral for the majority of the game.

We're told from all sides of the media how wonderful Barcelona's football is. The truth is they've bought so many of the very best players that they'd probably be successful whatever style they played.

If they didn't have the extraordinary 'killer' players like Messi, Iniesta and Suarez the end product wouldn't be there and it just wouldn't work.

Hopefully it falls out of fashion once they retire from the game, and tikka takka is superseded by a style of football far more interesting to watch.

Archived