IGNORED

Our transfer policy is FAILING us

Londoner

• Admin
1 minute ago, spudski said:

Honestly...this season has been the best in ages.*

And we are all disappointed we aren't doing as well as when the season started, but look at all the injuries to key players, players having to play with knocks and bans...it all adds up.**

3 points off a play off place with 9 games left.***

We would have snapped anyones hand off at the beginning of the season for that position.****

Stop being a drama queen after every game that doesn't go our way.*****

Some of the reactions on here, due to disappointment is childish and shows a complete lack of understanding.******

* It was, if this run continues much longer, I’m not convinced it can be classed as such.

** Every team gets injuries, knocks and bans, maybe ours haven’t been managed as well as they could have been

*** And not looking likely to get back there on current form, also I fear going up would not be the best outcome this year

**** We would, but not if you had said we’ll go 2nd, beat and play well against top Prem teams, but then nosedive 

***** It’s a forum, any opinion is valid, as long as it’s put across in a reasonable way

****** Not everyone has coaching experience, experience or playing at a high level and passion runs high after games - rightly so, would be a mundane forum if everyone agreed and there were no opposing viewpoints.

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

:laugh: Making a fool out of yourself here, we may have been interested but the reason he left Derby is because he wanted to go to the MLS

No the reason he left was because he got a good offer at the end of the window which appealed to him. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The same Johnny Russell who went to Kansas City for £250k when in the last few months of his contract?  So Derby willing to sell to one of their rivals with an over-inflated price, that City refused to think was value, when Derby were willing to let him go for 1/5 of the price.

Yep. Exactly.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Unfortunately your considered analysis is wasted in reactionary threads like his dominated by the usual suspects.

Probably but hopefully my positivity makes an impression somewhere down the road. I am just as frustrated as many but I don’t need to blame one person or have one reason to explain our poor form. There have been a large combination of things that have contibuted to this and hopefully more lessons learned from the front office to the coaching staff to the players. 

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

No the reason he left was because he got a good offer at the end of the window which appealed to him. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11696/11282843/johnny-russell-on-his-mls-move-and-derby-forest-memories

It is something I had been thinking about, I have always wanted to go and play in a different country. I have always loved the time I have spent in the States and it felt like the right time and the right decision for me and my family.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Yep. Exactly.

Assuming Russell on our radar (always liked him myself) City failed to agree to a valuation 5 (five) times that which Derby were willing to sell to someone else.

I credit City with not being stupid.

So, big question, were we interested in him?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming Russell on our radar (always liked him myself) City failed to agree to a valuation 5 (five) times that which Derby were willing to sell to someone else.

Tbf Derby accepted the low offer as Russell wanted to move to the MLS, however I seriously have to doubt that we would think £1.3m was too much for him.

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

* It was, if this run continues much longer, I’m not convinced it can be classed as such.

** Every team gets injuries, knocks and bans, maybe ours haven’t been managed as well as they could have been

*** And not looking likely to get back there on current form, also I fear going up would not be the best outcome this year

**** We would, but not if you had said we’ll go 2nd, beat and play well against top Prem teams, but then nosedive 

***** It’s a forum, any opinion is valid, as long as it’s put across in a reasonable way

****** Not everyone has coaching experience, experience or playing at a high level and passion runs high after games - rightly so, would be a mundane forum if everyone agreed and there were no opposing viewpoints.

I agree...I don't think going up this season would be good for the general health of the club long term. Next season maybe...

I disagree about opinions being valid as long as they are put across in a reasonable way. Why talk about things with such authority if you have no idea how the Club works or what's going on behind the scenes? Having an opinion is one thing...voicing it and making yourself look like an idiot is another. It's not about coaching experience or playing at a high level...surely it's about taking time to think before voicing that opinion and seeing the bigger picture.

Everyone is disappointed...we all are, it's natural to feel that way. But shit happens and you have to sit back and look deeper.

Some people are going to look really stupid if we do make the play offs and win it...imagine that.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He didn't go for 250 he went for 800

Cameron Jerome to Derby in mid Jan...one goal in 4 games.

Precisely the sort of player that @Londoner would have advocated I dare say.

@Maggersno1Fan

I don't think the club don't want promotion... But it maybe impossible at this stage. When it looks hopeless, I agree. Would also add, we should start working early on that. Unconvinced too about Plan A...Plan B and C tactically should also go hand in hand with blooding young players IMO.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...I don't think going up this season would be good for the general health of the club long term. Next season maybe...

I disagree about opinions being valid as long as they are put across in a reasonable way. Why talk about things with such authority if you have no idea how the Club works or what's going on behind the scenes? Having an opinion is one thing...voicing it and making yourself look like an idiot is another. It's not about coaching experience or playing at a high level...surely it's about taking time to think before voicing that opinion and seeing the bigger picture.

Everyone is disappointed...we all are, it's natural to feel that way. But shit happens and you have to sit back and look deeper.

Some people are going to look really stupid if we do make the play offs and win it...imagine that.

So they might, but it’s only a forum, it won’t affect their careers or lives and it might alter their thinking process for future debate, who knows.  I quite enjoy seeing the extremes of despair v the happy clapping, happy pill crowd who see no wrong.  There is obviously a middle ground and in that we often find decent posts and discussions, long may it continue, it seems to work, as it’s quite a popular forum.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

So they might, but it’s only a forum, it won’t affect their careers or lives and it might alter their thinking process for future debate, who knows.  I quite enjoy seeing the extremes of despair v the happy clapping, happy pill crowd who see no wrong.  There is obviously a middle ground and in that we often find decent posts and discussions, long may it continue, it seems to work, as it’s quite a popular forum.

That's the problem though...it's not 'just a forum'.

Media watch it...they pick up on all forms of social media.

They take the vocal minority view, and print it like it's how every fan thinks.

This then leads to added pressure on all involved at the club.

It's a modern thing...and unfortunately many think being anonymous behind a keyboard having a rant will have no effect are totally wrong.

People need to think before they speak.

Have your rant down the pub where it doesn't make any difference, plus a few snifters make all the difference ;-)

• Admin
1 minute ago, spudski said:

Have your rant down the pub where it doesn't make any difference, plus a few snifters make all the difference ;-)

I covered exactly this in another thread recently, bemoaning the good old days when the only place to discuss football was work or down the pub, when SM did not exist.  I used to enjoy going to the pub after a game, even if you do now, many are glued to their phones.....  

The mainstream media picking up from SM is unstoppable now I’m afraid.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I covered exactly this in another thread recently, bemoaning the good old days when the only place to discuss football was work or down the pub, when SM did not exist.  I used to enjoy going to the pub after a game, even if you do now, many are glued to their phones.....  

The mainstream media picking up from SM is unstoppable now I’m afraid.

Exactly...unfortunately you have to work harder to find a decent pub. Fortunately I have a great one near me.

As for mainstream media...it just means we have to be more astute and think before posting.

Frustration is one thing...however it seems these days people come on a forum to vent it.

It's a bit like texting your ex when your drunk...you just don't do it.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry, you think you’re a realist?!

I would suggest from your posts someone completely out of touch with the realities of football in general. 

Still waiting for a reply on the other thread by the way.

Sorry can’y reply again as you couldn’t follow my original reply

!

57 minutes ago, Im_over_ere said:

So fans that believe in the long term plan are derided by you as happy clappers but those that don't believe in the plan get the generalized term of realists. How about a term for you guys as rock dwellers because you only seem to come out when things go your way. Rather be a happy clapper that a misarable pessimistic rock dweller. 

What a great contribution to an important debate!

40 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry can’y reply again as you couldn’t follow my original reply

!

:clapping: Wow you really are the head in the sand type! I perfectly followed your reply.

You just can’t think of a reply to my perfectly reasonable post to you - instead of arguing the point and countering me, or God forbid admitting you’re wrong - you dodge it like a child sticking their fingers in their ears....

“I cant hear you nah nah nah”

Great debate Ivor, proving my point for me, lacking any ideas yourself.

34 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

:clapping: Wow you really are the head in the sand type! I perfectly followed your reply.

You just can’t think of a reply to my perfectly reasonable post to you - instead of arguing the point and countering me, or God forbid admitting you’re wrong - you dodge it like a child sticking their fingers in their ears....

“I cant hear you nah nah nah”

Great debate Ivor, proving my point for me, lacking any ideas yourself.

Sorry really can't be bothered 

If you had understood my reply fine, but as you didn't not much point. Let others judge

A very good night to you

I’m not sure it’s failed us as such, but we’ve forgotten what it actually is. Look at Brownhill and COD last season, not ready, needed time and certainly for me I wasn’t sure they would make it. A pre season and some extra coaching and they’re names you want in the squad every week, even starting depending on your preference. We’ve now got others like that in Eliasson and Walsh. 

I will admit that yes, there’s a hint of failure in certain signings. Mags is in desperate need of consistency, Taylor the same, Diony is only good on my FIFA save and Kent isn’t convincing. Yet in that time we’ve also signed Pisano, Famara, Baker who are all starters. There’s always going to be a few duds, I’m constantly getting ads on Facebook for click bait articles asking whatever happened to...? And what it reminds me is that all clubs get bad signings, the key is are they making a positive ratio of good to bad? I’d suggest yes.

I’m disappointed about our season given how strong we looked. I’ve sworn at the tv a lot in recent weeks, but this time last year and the year before for that matter we thought we were dead and buried. So clearly our policy has worked. 

What I think will be telling is if some of the trends continue. If Eliasson and Walsh ‘do a Brownhill and O’Dowda’ then we could have a very exciting midfield next year, bring in a couple quality players and some more promising lads, maybe move a couple on as well, and who knows? I know the league will be harder next year, but surely if our players continue to improve then we could look at playoffs once more.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The transfer policy is failing us...really?

Two seasons ago adrift and about to get relegated.

Now we sit 7th in the space of 5 transfer windows.

Go figure how it's failing us, and many teams below us apparently have it right?

Honestly...this season has been the best in ages.

And we are all disappointed we aren't doing as well as when the season started, but look at all the injuries to key players, players having to play with knocks and bans...it all adds up.

3 points off a play off place with 9 games left.

We would have snapped anyones hand off at the beginning of the season for that position.

Stop being a drama queen after every game that doesn't go our way.

Some of the reactions on here, due to disappointment is childish and shows a complete lack of understanding.

The biggest one being our whole season would be so much better if we had bought a RB...wtf! really...how the hell does anyone know that.

Tbh...more problems come down JB's side and he's considered one of our best.

I understand completely what has happened.  We've ended up with an imbalanced squad.

I agree that our approach has seen us grow from League 1 promoted club to top 6 challenger.  However, the nature of this league is that unless you have a significant financial advantage through ownership or revenue from a large fanbase, you will probably only get the occasional chance to win promotion.  This is why it is so important to be take advantage when that occasional opportunity arrives.  Huddersfield did it last year.  Pulis did it at Stoke, Phil Brown at Hull, even Hollowhead at Blackpool.  

I have no real problem with signing Walsh.  He is one for the future. Positionally, RB was clearly an issue as soon as Vyner went on loan.  It meant we weakened our midfield to cover it, a position where we also lacked depth. We have 6 strikers but one RB who was out long term.  Sorry but that is profligate.

Archived