IGNORED

LJ Transfers

Unan

8 hours ago, Unan said:

Untitled-1.png

I pointed out in an earlier post that LJ had made these signings but that our best starting eleven still reflects the league one  promotion squad. I received a lot of stick on this forum from those who refused to accept LJ had signed so many players. 

11 hours ago, hodge said:

And is there a point or are we just stating random things? Shall someone post a list of all our results under LJ too next, or what the attendances have been?

The point is....this proves his track record with signings is, at best....poor

We could lose Flint, Reid and Pack in the summer (the latter 2 only have 12 months left on their contract)...do you really trust LJ to bring in adequate replacements?

I know I dont 

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

We could lose Flint, Reid and Pack in the summer (the latter 2 only have 12 months left on their contract)...do you really trust LJ to bring in adequate replacements?

I know I dont 

Yes I do, our summer transfer business has generally been very good, we seem to get things wrong in January in my opinion. We've replaced strikers year on year as an example.

The summer transfer windows work for buying in players & blending them in during pre-season, especially younger players. Plus a few of the younger players have taken most of or more than a season to get up to speed e.g. Brownhill & O'Dowda.

The January window should really be about strengthening for either a relegation fight or promotion push and covering for injuries. That means getting in proven players with some experience, which doesn't fit well with our stated transfer policy. None of the players brought in during January look as if they are going to have any significant positive effect on this season.

I have no problem with the policy of buying young players and developing them, but that wasn't what we needed this January. In retrospect if we don't make the playoffs, it will have been a massive missed opportunity. 

We brought in Lois (Diony) when what we really needed was Lewis (Grabban)!

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

I know I dont 

It's not about trusting Johnson it's about trusting Ashton. And yes, generally I do. There are some excellent signings in there, plenty we can't be sure of and a few poor ones. The point re the spine of the league one side isn't necessarily problematic. Anyone who doesn't think that Johnson has been hugely inportant in the complete transformation of Reid is letting their prejudgement of Johnson get in the way of an objective opinion.

Think it might be time to take a break from here.

Far too much one sided nonsense is being posted.

Brownhill anyone? £200k? Plus of course transfers incoming take no account of that ludicrous decision to play Bobby Reid up front for the first time ever at 24..

As for the Lewis Grabban comment, why not suggest Alexis Sanchez?

Grabban would have been absolutely desperate to join us over Villa, wouldn’t he?

£15k a week less, a much smaller club and considerably further from home, for ****’s sake..

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think it might be time to take a break from here.

Far too much one sided nonsense is being posted.

Brownhill anyone? £200k? Plus of course transfers incoming take no account of that ludicrous decision to play Bobby Reid up front for the first time ever at 24..

As for the Lewis Grabban comment, why not suggest Alexis Sanchez?

Grabban would have been absolutely desperate to join us over Villa, wouldn’t he?

£15k a week less, a much smaller club and considerably further from home, for ****’s sake..

Perhaps you might like to re-read the it about Diony & Grabban. Not suggesting that we could afford him but if we were serious about wanting promotion then he was what we needed (a striker on form in this division) rather than a punt on French player who has not scored all season. It says to me that club won't be fussed if we don't go up or even make the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Remember some of the players were already here and not a Johnson or Ashton signings. 

It seems to me that those players have by and large become demonstrably better. From Flint's greatly improved use of the ball to Reid's transformation via Pack's development into a much more rounded midfielder the coaching seems to have made a substantial difference.

The exception for me is Bryan, who still doesn't seem to be delivering on his potential.

I'd rather judge a manager on whether they improve players than how good they are at spending money, which is always a hit and miss affair, in any event. Though perhaps I should be impressed more by Steve Bruce constantly adding expensive, high wage players to his squad then pleading poverty?

14 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Perhaps you might like to re-read the it about Diony & Grabban. Not suggesting that we could afford him but if we were serious about wanting promotion then he was what we needed (a striker on form in this division) rather than a punt on French player who has not scored all season. It says to me that club won't be fussed if we don't go up or even make the playoffs.

Funnily enough, what it suggests to me is that a market that has given us huge success so far (Kodjia, on whom we made a profit of over 500%, then of course Diedhiou, who looks an excellent buy) was where we thought we should continue to look.

This one probably won’t work out, but I can understand why we looked in France again.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Yes I do, our summer transfer business has generally been very good, we seem to get things wrong in January in my opinion. We've replaced strikers year on year as an example.

I always steer clear of the January Sales.  Perhaps LJ should too!  Seriously though, the point is that integrating players over a pre-season is easier than during the season.

53 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Did we actually need a striker?  Probably yes...to take the weight of minutes off of Diedhiou and Reid, but those two have scored plenty enough.  I know I’ll shock @GrahamC here, but much as I don’t rate him, I think we’ve missed Taylor on the bench, to come on for 20 and run his nuts off.

I think this summer is about moving on the dead-wood, working with a sensible squad size.  The problem with this is injuries and the loan system.  Perhaps decide which youngsters are really good enough, and tell them to force their way into the team, e.g. Kelly / Vyner.  Allowing them to go on loan next season, means we have to have cover still here.  Is that a loan-in or permie-in.  That bloats the squad. That is the dilemma.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

At the end of the season i’m gonna evaluate every player in since LJ’s reign.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m gonna go on holiday....and forget about all this....

and the winner is ........ :clap:

Archived