IGNORED

Just throwing this out there...

PFree

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

All those examples were donkeys years ago except for Wigan, who spent 8 years in the PL and won an FA Cup! Birmingham have been up and down a number of times.

And were any of those clubs really promoted “too soon”, or did they simply take their opportunity for promotion but then suffered for being a tiny fish in a massive pond?

I’m not at all convinced by the notion of being promoted “too soon”.

You can add Blackpool to that list. Since then I suspect that teams have looked at these clubs as examples of what not to do and have slowly built an infrastructure and outlook that can sustain either a period of Premiership survival or yo-yo promotions and relegations with the benefit of parachute payments.

There is an argument for going all out to get into the Prem and then hoping you can stay up for a season or so, and develop quickly with the sheer level of money available. I think we tried that the seasons around the Hull final defeat, and that cost us a number of poor years with players on long and expensive contracts. Something that clearly the owner does not want to replicate.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Which clubs exactly have gone up, got hammered most weeks then gone backwards for several seasons after? Genuine question.

Most clubs I can think of have either gone up and established themselves (Swansea, Southampton, Watford, Leicester) or gone back down but broadly continued to compete at the top end of the Championship (Fulham, Boro, Wolves).

Who is this club who went up “too soon” - or is it in fact a myth? I can’t think of a convincing example.

This is spot on.

Its starting to annoy me this whole going up ‘too soon’ crap. With the amount of money up for grabs for promotion and then the subsequent parachute payments if you go down the club will be set for the next 5 years at least in terms of being able to compete, even if we did find ourselves back in fbe the Championship..

To not go for it when the chance has arisen this season is criminal, its like the board and that **** Ashton think this opportunity is coming around again next season.. theres a fair chance the squad could get broken up in the summer and it will be another 10 year wait to be back in this position. 

4 minutes ago, bris red said:

This is spot on.

Its starting to annoy me this whole going up ‘too soon’ crap. With the amount of money up for grabs for promotion and then the subsequent parachute payments if you go down the club will be set for the next 5 years at least in terms of being able to compete, even if we did find ourselves back in fbe the Championship..

To not go for it when the chance has arisen this season is criminal, its like the board and that **** Ashton think this opportunity is coming around again next season.. theres a fair chance the squad could get broken up in the summer and it will be another 10 year wait to be back in this position. 

Out of interest who do you think would go (given that Flint has just signed a contract extension), and of those who could not be replaced out of the existing squad?

I’m not sure that there are many who could be considered to be absolutely irreplaceable, and therefore affect any potential promotion push.

In fact next season might be even more cause for optimism if you consider the clubs likely to be relegated, all 3 of the bottom teams are in a mess and you would not consider them to be automatic promotion candidates.

9 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

You can add Blackpool to that list. Since then I suspect that teams have looked at these clubs as examples of what not to do and have slowly built an infrastructure and outlook that can sustain either a period of Premiership survival or yo-yo promotions and relegations with the benefit of parachute payments.

There is an argument for going all out to get into the Prem and then hoping you can stay up for a season or so, and develop quickly with the sheer level of money available. I think we tried that the seasons around the Hull final defeat, and that cost us a number of poor years with players on long and expensive contracts. Something that clearly the owner does not want to replicate.

I appreciate what you’re saying. But I don’t think Blackpool had the luxury of deciding when to go for promotion and I don’t think they went back down because they were promoted “too soon”. I think they went down because they were tiny Blackpool, trying to compete in the top division. And their subsequent decline was due to their appalling owner.

I agree that the best way to aim for th PL is incremental improvement rather than a high-risk expensive assault. But I’m still not convinced we’ve seen a club who got there too soon, who you could say with any confidence would have done better to wait.

3 hours ago, PFree said:

It just puzzles me why we didn't go after it, take Grabban versus Diony as a thought, not sure he wanted to come here or if we weren't prepared to pay his wages but all feels very strange.

That said, building business too quickly and on poor foundations is never a good idea, it's the only conclusion I reached went thinking about it, not that I know anything around what goes on behind the scenes, I'm just a passionate fan like the rest of us...

parachute payment would help

People may call me overly optimistic, but I genuinely believe that the club are building something that will ultimately be successful. This year we’ve received global attention and plaudits for the cup run, bright young players have been brought in, as well as a couple of duds. Based on Diony’s output so far I could still make it as a pro.....

The upward trend of the team, the  plans for the training ground, plus the stadium in its current form will add to the attractiveness for prospective players, and to a lesser extent the City of Bristol seems to be being identified as a good place to live in. 

I honestly believe the “vibe” for want of a better word is as good and positive as it has ever been. There’s still room for improvement, but I’ve not felt as positive about the clubs potential as I do now and that’s with 35 years of supporting the club.

7 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

They'll be back in the top flight before we even get a sniff of it again. You just know it. 

Maybe we are making steady progress, next season will tell us. If we're struggling in the bottom third, we'll know it's just talk.

This for me is the crucial point, next season..

If we are all more a less in agreement that this season is being written off as a top half finish then for me next season is massive. If there is no improvement and we go on another long poor run without being in and around the top 6 then you have to wonder what actually is being ‘built’ here.

at the time seem to recall most of us were very pleased with the window- we kept everyone and brought in 3 players who we thought would be additive. It has not worked out as well as we hoped. Still time and lots to play for. Onwards and upwards.

Archived