IGNORED

Subs - LJ gets it wrong again

old_eastender

Not many would have grumbled about the starting line-up and Mags for Baker at HT was forced.

When he belatedly decides to try and change the game, he swaps Fammy for Djuric - which was fair enough (Fammy was one of several playing poorly).

However, Diony on for Pato WTF, how did that make any sense at all?  Pato although not doing much, had a least created two chances, if you are going to take him off he had to replace him with somebody else who could create - Kent, Eliasson, even Walsh, after all with Djuric on you needed a supply line. To put Diony on and drop Reid back to midfield was madness, and madness that has already failed in other games!

I know there are many with rose tinted specs who seem to think LJ can do no wrong, but his use of Subs since the turn of the year has been really poor most of the time and this is not a question of hindsight. So for any of LJs fan club that want to rubbish this, just explain HOW did Diony for Pato make any sense, when we needed to get crosses in the box to feed Djuric's excellent heading ability?

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Not many would have grumbled about the starting line-up and Mags for Baker at HT was forced.

When he belatedly decides to try and change the game, he swaps Fammy for Djuric - which was fair enough (Fammy was one of several playing poorly).

However, Diony on for Pato WTF, how did that make any sense at all?  Pato although not doing much, had a least created two chances, if you are going to take him off he had to replace him with somebody else who could create - Kent, Eliasson, even Walsh, after all with Djuric on you needed a supply line. To put Diony on and drop Reid back to midfield was madness, and madness that has already failed in other games!

I know there are many with rose tinted specs who seem to think LJ can do no wrong, but his use of Subs since the turn of the year has been really poor most of the time and this is not a question of hindsight. So for any of LJs fan club that want to rubbish this, just explain HOW did Diony for Pato make any sense, when we needed to get crosses in the box to feed Djuric's excellent heading ability?

Diony is almost on the Nicky Hunt, Bas Savage, Carl Hutchings and Ryan McGivern list. Awful player 

Fans, me included have wondered/questioned substitutions that many different City managers have made ever since substitutions became part of the game. I even questioned Lord Danny Wilsons substitutions once..........:facepalm:

Its all part of the game.

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

Diony is almost on the Nicky Hunt, Bas Savage, Carl Hutchings and Ryan McGivern list. Awful player 

When was the last time you saw Diony play a full game? and yet you feel qualified to rubbish him.........:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

When was the last time you saw Diony play a full game? and yet you feel qualified to rubbish him.........:facepalm:

He's right though. Doiny is frankly woeful. I saw the full game yesterday and he runs away from the ball; never under control. 

we are all wealthy enough to know how to spend £50m, we all sit on the bench and know the players state of fitness, mental attitude etc so we are all entitled to tell Lj what he should do, should have done and how to score goals. Without these daft posts, the forum wouldnt be what it is

2 minutes ago, Cider red said:

He's right though. Doiny is frankly woeful. I saw the full game yesterday and he runs away from the ball; never under control. 

To make an assessment of any new player you need to see him play several games. We haven't seen much of Diony because most of his appearances have been  from the bench and on the few occasions that he's started he doesn't play the full game.

Despite that some fans feel qualified to rubbish him. I find that quite astonishing.

His critics don't take into consideration the facts that  he's new to English football and living in a new country and all foreign imports take time to adjust to a completely new life style. Why do suppose that some English players don't succeed at overseas clubs?

It took the Chelsea legend Drogba an entire season to acclimatise to English football.

Give the guy a break.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Diony against a tired defence can't score. Now after quite a few attempts. 

What chance does he have when he's as tired as they are? 

I am slightly tongue in cheek but he's certainly showing little promise. 

So because it didn't pay off it was the wrong decision. 

Well obviously, once again we're all experts after the fact whereas if Diony had come on and scored the winner this thread wouldn't exist.

Just like a hell of a lot of people were saying Reid had no future at the club until Johnson decided to play him as a striker. Now Championship top scorer.

We can all be Captain Hindsight when we want to be, sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. But the person who is best placed to make these decisions is the person who sees the players every day and knows what each one offers.

2 minutes ago, KingLear said:

So because it didn't pay off it was the wrong decision. 

Well obviously, once again we're all experts after the fact whereas if Diony had come on and scored the winner this thread wouldn't exist.

Just like a hell of a lot of people were saying Reid had no future at the club until Johnson decided to play him as a striker. Now Championship top scorer.

We can all be Captain Hindsight when we want to be, sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. But the person who is best placed to make these decisions is the person who sees the players every day and knows what each one offers.

A huge part of the disappointment is that Diony is clearly costing a lot in wages and we were led to believe we'd virtually stolen him from his parent club. We were also led to believe the optional transfer fee is a great deal for us. It clearly won't be. 

With that in mind he wasn't one for the future, he needed to hit the ground running. 

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To make an assessment of any new player you need to see him play several games. We haven't seen much of Diony because most of his appearances have been  from the bench and on the few occasions that he's started he doesn't play the full game.

Despite that some fans feel qualified to rubbish him. I find that quite astonishing.

His critics don't take into consideration the facts that  he's new to English football and living in a new country and all foreign imports take time to adjust to a completely new life style. Why do suppose that some English players don't succeed at overseas clubs?

It took the Chelsea legend Drogba an entire season to acclimatise to English football.

Give the guy a break.

Fact is Diony isn’t going to get games, he is behind Reid and Diedhiou and now Djuric has returned he will drop further down the pecking order.

I can understand why we thought it worth a go but I doubt very much he will get many more chances or be here next season.

As for Drogba, why do you make this stuff up? Chelsea won the title in his first season, when he scored 10 in 26.

That is in no way comparable to Diony.

5 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

No its a loan at the moment, but IF promoted, it turns permanent its £9.3m

Would be interested to see where that was confirmed. 

If we don't get promoted I thought we could have him for less? 

That's a ridiculous amount for a very average player. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fact is Diony isn’t going to get games, he is behind Reid and Diedhiou and now Djuric has returned he will drop further down the pecking order.

I can understand why we thought it worth a go but I doubt very much he will get many more chances or be here next season.

As for Drogba, why do you make this stuff up? Chelsea won the title in his first season, when he scored 10 in 26.

That is in no way comparable to Diony.

Drogba like Diony  came from foreign  football  - that's the comparison and was far better in his second season having acclimatised to the PL - that's my point.

There is no comparison between Diony and Drogba as footballers

So, by the OPs own admission, two were right and one wasn't, yet the headline is LJ got it wrong! To me, two out of three seems at worst 'got it almost right'!

Agree about Diony, although in the circumstances - Pato having another stinker and the only other options being wide players (on a pitch where the wings were like ploughed fields) I can kind of understand why he might have taken a chance again on  Diony 

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Valid argument if we were signing a 20 year old on a one for the future basis but this guy was meant to be our flagship signing in the window with the objective of providing goal power. He is a low on confidence 25 year old who hasn't scored in 8 months!

It was crying out for Kent wide right cutting in.

Of course I would very much like every player we sign to be a success and I always look for a positive but I can truly see nothing in Diony's game to suggest that he is a footballer let alone a striker at championship level.

It doesn't matter how much or lack of game time he's had, its blatantly clear he isn't doing even the basics right.

Even with the enigma that is Gustav Engvall we have all seen enough to know he can control a football, hold the ball up, see an opening, pass to a team mate. All the basic attributes you would demand of a professional footballer.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Who are these people? I don't see many, if any.

It takes time to settle into a new environment. I have used the Sanchez to Man U example in another post.  Torres was another.  Mikitarian( can’t be bothered to check spelling) played a couple of games then was dropped for a few months whilst he built his fitness levels up to English football level.     A friend of mine spoke to Pisano after he joined and he said it would take him months to get used to the speed of English football.  Give Diony a chance. They will see in training if he is any good.  Also it is well documented that he is low on confidence so once he scores a couple or if he does then I’m sure you will see a different player 

I would argue LJ is getting the wrong starting XI against teams like Burton. A game like that is calling out for wingers who stay wide and get crosses in. Of course that is my opinion. I would have played Eliasson and Kent. It was a game where we would not be under much threat(I know they had a few chances but generally poor going forward). They were going to he compact and organised. It was a game to get crosses into the box towards Fam and then later Djuric and Diony. Can still play our quick football just with more intent on getting it wide. Games like yesterday are where we need to be more flexible in our play. It seems it is one style or nothing. 

Archived