IGNORED

Need to win 6 of 9.

Ashtonwurzel

Looking at it, there’s 2 games between now and the end of the season where I wouldn’t be expecting 3 points. Millwall (A) and Boro (A) although we do have a very good record against the latter. 

Its football, you never know what’s going to happen. We could win 2 draw 3, lose the rest and still make the play offs if others drop points. 

28 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Is that true? What an appalling record

Only if you include the cup games. That said the League form especially away from home is more like our league position last season than our currently elevated place. On current form we will be lucky to stay in the top half come the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Only if you include the cup games. That said the League form especially away from home is more like our league position last season than our currently elevated place. On current form we will be lucky to stay in the top half come the end of the season.

You remember that lap of honour the players did after losing to Man City? I wonder if they mistook it for the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Possible but on current form unlikely.

The opposition (on paper) gives me hope though.

Have you watched our recent games?  Apart from Sheff Weds at home, we have been awful. In fact on 2018 league form we are bottom but one of the Championship sides. We have a manager who has become very reluctant to use his subs until late on (unless forced like Mags for Baker at HT yesterday) and then invariably makes bizarre choices with those subs (like pushing Reid back into midfield and preferring Diony up front yesterday).   Win 6 out of 9, no chance.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Nonsense.  18 points from 9 games would most probably do it.

All those people who said 72 points would be enough are probably going to be wrong

18 points in 9 games plus not lose against either Boro or Sheffield Utd. On current form that is way beyond us!

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Possible but on current form unlikely.

1 hour ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

As we've won something like 2 of the last sixteen I'd say it's highly unlikely 

39 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

On current form we will be lucky to stay in the top half come the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Have you watched our recent games?

13 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

On current form that is way beyond us!

I realise that our only frame of reference is recent form, and so am not surprised at (nor disagree with, really) comments like these, but have we not all watched enough football in our lives to realise it’s not as simple as that?

Last 12 league games of 2017: W8 D2 L2 - 26pts

First 12 league games of 2018: W2 D5 L5 - 11pts

”On current form”, at the end of 2017, our new “current form” was just as unlikely as we’re claiming improved future form is.

That’s just the most obvious example as well.

Wolves:

Last 11 of 2017: W9 D2 L0 - 29pts

First 11 of 2018: W5 D3 L3 - 18pts

Fulham:

Last 12 of 2017: W5 D3 L4 - 18pts

First 12 of 2018: W10 D2 L0 - 32pts

If we take the start of their 15 match unbeaten run as the “pivot point”:

Before: W5 D4 L6 - 19pts

After: W12 D3 L0 - 39pts

Notably, Fulham’s last loss was against Sunderland, in what was their first home win in a year. Nothing about that screams “15 match unbeaten run coming up, strap yourselves in”.

So no, I don’t disagree with the comments. It is true that if we gain the same results from the next 9 games as the last 9 games (i.e. 10pts) we probably won’t make the playoffs.

But I’d argue that such a replication of form is in fact the unlikeliest outcome.

Mainly, though, I just don’t see the attraction of getting worried about our own flawed visions of the future. Seems like wasted energy to me.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Have you watched our recent games?  Apart from Sheff Weds at home, we have been awful. In fact on 2018 league form we are bottom but one of the Championship sides. We have a manager who has become very reluctant to use his subs until late on (unless forced like Mags for Baker at HT yesterday) and then invariably makes bizarre choices with those subs (like pushing Reid back into midfield and preferring Diony up front yesterday).   Win 6 out of 9, no chance.

We were “awful” against Fulham, were we?

No way do I expect us to win 6 out of 9 but if we make the playoffs we won’t need to.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We were “awful” against Fulham, were we?

No way do I expect us to win 6 out of 9 but if we make the playoffs we won’t need to.

Admittedly I missed Fulham at home (only league game I have not watched), and we did well against QPR too, so maybe not awful in 3 games in 2018... still nowhere near good enough to be thinking about claiming a play-off spot.

I hope we can find a bit of form, even if we miss out on the top six. Would not want to start next season having gone a point a game for half a season.

One crumb I hang on to is that our home form shows some signs of life. Not sure why, but our away form really has fallen off a cliff.

15 hours ago, Head&Shoulders said:

Extremely do-able, and a lot of the opposition remaining are lower than us! I feel a last day of the season thriller at Ashton gate against Sheffield United 

Exactly what a Bristol Sport employee would say, trying to build excitement in order to sell tickets for the last game of the season.

Archived