IGNORED

What a great ground

pongo88

What a great ground - the Pirelli Stadium Burton! It may be small and the pitch is poor but I thought that this was a great ground to visit. It's not one of those grounds in the middle of nowhere, but a ground in town with some good pubs within walking distance. It also has the benefit of different sections for those who want to sit and those who want to stand. Being a dull old duffer I went into the seating section and found the most wondrous extraordinary concourse. Nothing high tech, but the basic things you can't get at Ashton Gate.  Firstly, Chips! Yes real chips, those things that aren't allowed at Ashton Gate because the deep fat fryers will burn down the stand.  Amazingly, chips don't cause any problems at Burton. Second, shelves along the wall to put your drink on.  Another thing banned at Ashton Gate due to safety reasons.  Last, but not lease, seats! The fold up sort  that used to be in the Wedlock. Can't have those at Ashton Gate as they are far too dangerous, but I can report that there were no accidents at Burton. Obviously the crowds at Burton are much smaller that at Ashton Gate, but so was the concourse. 

In fact everything was great until the match started, then it went downhill.

I get the feeling that “smaller clubs, who are used to lower leagues” care more about the fans. Burton want fans to come so they can survive etc, make the day more enjoyable for them. They are not seen as cash cows or an annoyance to the club. 

How us and many others could learn a thing or two. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

What a great ground - the Pirelli Stadium Burton! It may be small and the pitch is poor but I thought that this was a great ground to visit. It's not one of those grounds in the middle of nowhere, but a ground in town with some good pubs within walking distance. It also has the benefit of different sections for those who want to sit and those who want to stand. Being a dull old duffer I went into the seating section and found the most wondrous extraordinary concourse. Nothing high tech, but the basic things you can't get at Ashton Gate.  Firstly, Chips! Yes real chips, those things that aren't allowed at Ashton Gate because the deep fat fryers will burn down the stand.  Amazingly, chips don't cause any problems at Burton. Second, shelves along the wall to put your drink on.  Another thing banned at Ashton Gate due to safety reasons.  Last, but not lease, seats! The fold up sort  that used to be in the Wedlock. Can't have those at Ashton Gate as they are far too dangerous, but I can report that there were no accidents at Burton. Obviously the crowds at Burton are much smaller that at Ashton Gate, but so was the concourse. 

Not to mention hot drinks £1:50 a cup, hot water to wash ones hands in and, glory be, hot hand dryers. Also a mention to the very welcoming staff. Shame about the game!

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

I get the feeling that “smaller clubs, who are used to lower leagues” care more about the fans. Burton want fans to come so they can survive etc, make the day more enjoyable for them. They are not seen as cash cows or an annoyance to the club. 

It's more that they have to do more to get fans through the door so are more ' user ' friendly. 

I don't think they are any more or less caring .

If you live in Burton there are lots of more glamorous clubs within easy reach for the football supporter. 

It makes commercial sense to try harder to attract those fans to the Pirelli Stadium . 

49 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Fleetwood was similar when we went there in L1. Smart ground, good facilities, reasonably priced and friendly staff and locals.

Rushden, the one time we played them in L1 Driving up to that ground I was stopped by uniformed stewards who asked if I was stopping, or merely dropping someone off. I was then directed to a large, free car park (Tarmac, not gravel). The programme sellers & turnstile operators all said please & thank you. The catering staff were interested in serving you and prices were reasonable. Inside the Stewards didn't simply say "Up there mate", but directed you to your seat. Afterwardas on the way out we were able to chat & joke with them about how the game had gone. Outside those stewards were still there ensuring cars weren't stolen or vandlaised during the game and they were now directing traffic so everyone got away promptly.

Yes those smaller clubs still make fans welcome.

36 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If they supply seats, shelves, hot water and hot driers, they will want to put up the season tickets.

Whoops, they've already put up the SCs but havent provided anything to justify the increases except a team in relegation form.

A fixture to circle on your calendar though.

2 hours ago, kingswood red said:

Not to mention hot drinks £1:50 a cup, hot water to wash ones hands in and, glory be, hot hand dryers. Also a mention to the very welcoming staff. Shame about the game!

The only grumble I have about Ashton Gate is the parking. As a non-Bristolian, I get nervous trying to park as I haven't a clue where I'm going! Otherwise its a great stadium, even without chips!

2 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Agree, hate the whole BS set up, corporate carp. 

15 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Used to live in a village 6 miles away and was a frequent visitor. Great little club.

Which village? I have lived around here for 15 years...Alrewas, Lullington, Overseal....now moving to Outwoods/ Beam Hill (would still love to move back to Glos, though)

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It's more that they have to do more to get fans through the door so are more ' user ' friendly. 

I don't think they are any more or less caring .

If you live in Burton there are lots of more glamorous clubs within easy reach for the football supporter. 

It makes commercial sense to try harder to attract those fans to the Pirelli Stadium . 

Do they still print those sexy calendars..? 

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Ah, but were you shouted at to undo the zip on your coat to flash yourself at an over zealous steward? Or chased to the turnstile if you refused to do so?

Now you havent been treated unless you have that happen to you! :grr:

Archived