IGNORED

What a great ground

pongo88

37 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Which village? I have lived around here for 15 years...Alrewas, Lullington, Overseal....now moving to Outwoods/ Beam Hill (would still love to move back to Glos, though)

Blimey, you don't let the grass grow do you Mr Juan Kerr.... Have you got 'aunts'  in yer pants? :) 

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nowhere in the ground took card payments! Cash only. Plus the pa was far from clear. Then half time was some god awful child’s cheerleading squad and some budget sponsors “walk around the pitch holding signs” thing.

Terrace was fun though.

Proper old school.  Loved it.

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Ah, but were you shouted at to undo the zip on your coat to flash yourself at an over zealous steward? Or chased to the turnstile if you refused to do so?

Now you havent been treated unless you have that happen to you! :grr:

Just the opposite. I was taking a photo before the match and was standing between two stewards who were pitch side. As I was so low down I was struggling to get much of the ground in without the stewards being in the photo. Then a female steward tapped me on the shoulder, I thought I was in trouble for standing where I was, but she was asking if I wanted her to ask the stewards to move so I could get a better photo! I never expected that! 

Did anyone else encounter the delightful female steward who was from Bristol? She was brill! We got chatting, she moved to Burton to be a teacher and loves her job as a steward. She was from Westbury on Trym and got disapproving looks from her ‘boss’ when she clapped our boys back onto the pitch after half time! 

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

Just the opposite. I was taking a photo before the match and was standing between two stewards who were pitch side. As I was so low down I was struggling to get much of the ground in without the stewards being in the photo. Then a female steward tapped me on the shoulder, I thought I was in trouble for standing where I was, but she was asking if I wanted her to ask the stewards to move so I could get a better photo! I never expected that! 

I remember a steward walking all the way along the pitch in front of the Williams Stand and coming into the Atyeo Stand to tell me not to take any more photos. I'd been spotted by CCTV.
This was the 3-1 Rotherham game that saw us get promoted.......and the camera was a 3mp point and shoot FFS !!!

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did anyone else encounter the delightful female steward who was from Bristol? She was brill! We got chatting, she moved to Burton to be a teacher and loves her job as a steward. She was from Westbury on Trym and got disapproving looks from her ‘boss’ when she clapped our boys back onto the pitch after half time! 

There was a dark haired female steward seemed to be applauding the team at the end which did seem a bit strange That might explain it.  She didn't boo or shout  abuse though so didn't think she was a fan.

Same as with many things.

When they expand, expand and then reach a certain critical mass- a process City are undergoing- for all the positives it brings, losing stuff like this will happen.

Similar example, but company I am in is pushing, expanding and nearly doubled in certain metrics in 2 years..I much preferred it 2 years ago.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Same as with many things.

When they expand, expand and then reach a certain critical mass- a process City are undergoing- for all the positives it brings, losing stuff like this will happen.

Similar example, but company I am in is pushing, expanding and nearly doubled in certain metrics in 2 years..I much preferred it 2 years ago.

I find as I get older I think more often that things were much better when it was all fields.

It`s progress I suppose.

The higher you get up the football pyramid, the worse the football 'experience' becomes.

You may get to see some of the best football players...but as a day out, it goes down hill.

If you are happy to watch football for 90 mins, with all the ambience of an overpriced shopping mall, then welcome to the Prem and the upper end of the Championship.

If you want to be entertained and feel part of something, plus enjoy your day out as an overall experience, then you have to look further down the pyramid.

As a Club we have got used to being the WBA of the Championship and League 1.

The old Ashton Gate had it's faults and we got used to League 1....but it felt right. No complaints...it was a fun day out.

Now...we complain that we've thrown away our chances of making the Prem....complain about so much of the new stadium,  complain about ticketing, yet complained about our lot in League 1 for all those years.

If you could have Prem football with a league 1 experience....wouldn't that be fun. Why is it so hard....money!!!

On 11/03/2018 at 20:53, RedM said:

Mine to. Clear as a bell but deafening. I’ve been front row at Glastonbury with less volume!

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I find as I get older I think more often that things were much better when it was all fields.

It`s progress I suppose.

I used to go to Glastonbury when it was all fields. 

Well Op, lets give you some facts and opinions;

Firstly most serious football fans in and around Derby got to Derby County. Secondly the gates Burton get are either atrocious or unsustainable (depending on your generosity) but either way they will be back in non league very soon. Thirdly, try getting public transport to this ground which is well close to the outskirts. This year the weather was ok and last season it was warm, mid-summer but this tinpot ground where it is hard to get anything to eat or drink at HT is one i wouldn't want to more than once a year

Opinions; they have done so, so well, like Rusdin & Diamonds and their owner deserves huge credit, as does Clough (shame he couldnt do it at a reasonable sized club)

We wont play them again but good luck in whatever league they play, they are so meaningless no-one likes them, but worse still, no-one cares

3 hours ago, spudski said:

The higher you get up the football pyramid, the worse the football 'experience' becomes.

You may get to see some of the best football players...but as a day out, it goes down hill.

If you are happy to watch football for 90 mins, with all the ambience of an overpriced shopping mall, then welcome to the Prem and the upper end of the Championship.

If you want to be entertained and feel part of something, plus enjoy your day out as an overall experience, then you have to look further down the pyramid.

The old Ashton Gate had it's faults and we got used to League 1....but it felt right. No complaints...it was a fun day out.

Now...we complain that we've thrown away our chances of making the Prem....complain about so much of the new stadium,  complain about ticketing, yet complained about our lot in League 1 for all those years.

If you could have Prem football with a league 1 experience....wouldn't that be fun. Why is it so hard....money!!!

Well I’ve been to Taunton Town this season and I definitely prefer Ashton Gate!

11 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Thirdly, try getting public transport to this ground which is well close to the outskirts.

Close to the outskirts of the huge metropolis that is Burton...
You could always walk. Or use the excellent parking facilities right near the ground. 

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Basically this in many ways!

Bigger ground= more H & S, more stewards, more hands on stewards- a more stringent SAG and tougher searching. All of which can impact upon the matchday experience. Things that would be let slide a bit in the older days are now really scrutinised. 

(Though abroad it can still be pretty good at a high level- really want to check out some grounds in Germany especially).

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It`s progress I suppose.

Yeah...early days can be the best, smaller scale can be the best at times for sure. Not just football but when you expand- you lose something in my experience.

On 11/03/2018 at 11:40, pongo88 said:

What a great ground - the Pirelli Stadium Burton! It may be small and the pitch is poor but I thought that this was a great ground to visit. It's not one of those grounds in the middle of nowhere, but a ground in town with some good pubs within walking distance. It also has the benefit of different sections for those who want to sit and those who want to stand. Being a dull old duffer I went into the seating section and found the most wondrous extraordinary concourse. Nothing high tech, but the basic things you can't get at Ashton Gate.  Firstly, Chips! Yes real chips, those things that aren't allowed at Ashton Gate because the deep fat fryers will burn down the stand.  Amazingly, chips don't cause any problems at Burton. Second, shelves along the wall to put your drink on.  Another thing banned at Ashton Gate due to safety reasons.  Last, but not lease, seats! The fold up sort  that used to be in the Wedlock. Can't have those at Ashton Gate as they are far too dangerous, but I can report that there were no accidents at Burton. Obviously the crowds at Burton are much smaller that at Ashton Gate, but so was the concourse. 

In fact everything was great until the match started, then it went downhill.

Shelves ???.....get a grip of yourself man.........

14 hours ago, spudski said:

The root of all evil !!!...(missed my calling as a methodist minister)...

Archived