IGNORED

what benefit have we had from the january window?

where's the joy

6 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Then why bother signing any of them? surely MA and LJ bought those players in because they (totally wrongly) thought they would improve the squad. In fact I recall them saying that they had been scouting Diony for some time. He is so unbelievably poor it’s almost like Pete Johnson is back on scouting duties. 

But there clearly is a good player in there. He's just completely shot at the moment. 

Yes. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but good planning is even better.

I can understand one ‘punt’. The January window consisted of three major gambles. Not one delivered. That’s not unlucky, that’s poor decision-making.

Forgetting Ashton’s bizarre comment, we had a once in a decade opportunity. Stock high, first time ever a ‘go-to’ desirable Club with a good chance of auto-promotion and great chance of play-offs. Patently obvious that the exhausted and depleted squad needed an instant injection of energy. Not the now tiresome ‘one for the future’ player. Not players who either hadn’t played or foreign strikers that hadn’t scored so far this season. Clearly, such players were going to take a couple of months to get up to speed. 

The time for these signings to make a positive impact this season has near past. Our injured players are now returning and we’ve squandered many points, our chance of auto promotion  and, most likely, play offs. The two loaneess are now surplus to requirements. In trying to get them up to speed we’ve frustrated the chances of other, better, players in the squad and development of our own. 

We didn’t need to spend more than we did. We just needed to spend on players who could be up to speed in a couple of games and support the rest of the squad through a difficult 3 month period. We didn’t need marque signings, we just needed stop-gap players who could offer high energy that would complement the gems we already have.

City normally balls things up, but the last window was truly the most epic fail of my 50 years of supporting the Club. 

9 hours ago, tinman85 said:

We also lack a creative general in midfield. Barry Bannan type or Ross Wallace 

A "creative general" - I don’t think I’ve ever heard those two words used together when describing a midfielder :P

Neither Bannan (28) or Wallace (32) are generals.  They are creative though.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A "creative general" - I don’t think I’ve ever heard those two words used together when describing a midfielder :P

Neither Bannan (28) or Wallace (32) are generals.  They are creative though.

Carvahal referred to them as so before. Nothing wrong with that. Leaders and creative players. Not all are the same. For example Ozil v Silva. 

5 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

Awww shucks :P:clapping:

^_^

Wouldn’t be the same without the lucky pizza/soup/insert other type of food that’s consistently inconsistent here. Careful though, don’t get complacent and turn in a few under par meals, else everything that’s gone before will be meaningless and I’ll campaign to have you evicted. That seems reasonable, right?

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

:clap::clap::clap:

(How's the knee?)

Recovered thanks, but my trousers still carry traces of the bloodstains. Totally worth it.

9 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

That’s a shame you feel that way. Hopefully you’ll find some joy in it somewhere.

For instance, these are just a few of the things for which I'll remember this season:

• Celebrating with wild incredulity as we went 3-0 up in the first 30 minutes of the season.
  • The carnage & ecstasy that followed Reid’s last minute equaliser at Brentford.
  • Flint’s winner at Reading, where I was convinced we’d come away with nothing, and had to triple check it was actually our centre back with that finish.
  • Experiencing twelve different emotions simultaneously in under 4 minutes at the end of our match away at Wolves.
  • Thinking that Bryan’s goal against Crystal Palace was the icing on the cake of a tremendous match, only to be proven wrong within minutes by O’Dowda.
  • Embarking on a rather ludicrous journey up to Hull, to then question why we’d bothered, before experiencing that wonderful comeback and demolishing my knee in the process.
  • Going berserk in my local pub in London as we scored the winner against Sheffield Utd, with onlookers barely realising there was a football match happening.
  • The mad dash from London to Bristol, for THAT early Christmas present, and the sheer disbelief that followed as I couldn’t physically walk down from the top tier and so just collapsed into a phone call across the pitch with my brother & nephew.
  • An excellent Boxing Day trip with another brother, courtesy of the previous brother & nephew, with ridiculous hot chocolates thrown in for good measure.
  • Going berserk in that pub again, this time against Blue Manchester, and this time with people actually appreciating it.
  • The pride and joy that emanated from both those games, regardless of the result.
  • Being able to sit down in a room in Iceland, over 48 hours after the event, and watch the entire 90 minutes of our game against Sunderland, with all the confusion, disbelief, and utter nonsense that came with it.
  • The frustration at not being able to travel back for the Sheffield Wednesday game due to snow, but also how that was rendered meaningless as I got to listen to it in a brand new flat with someone I love.
  • All the marvellous food, and fun, and chats, and jokes, and general merriment along the way, provided by excellent sisters, brothers, nephews, nieces, friends, and strangers.

As I say, I hope you’ll look back with similar memories, one day.

a beautiful post Yoshi! Some of the memories that have been made this season will be with us for the rest of our lives. 

Yes, we've cocked up the window (again!), yes, it hasn't quite worked out how we were all hoping a couple of months ago, but you know what, there's been some crazy ass highs in the process. We're not Man Utd or one of the traditional big clubs - we have to take and cherish the highs when and where they come. And this season, they came thick and fast. Who knows, the season might still have a twist to its tail! 

18 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Carvahal referred to them as so before. Nothing wrong with that. Leaders and creative players. Not all are the same. For example Ozil v Silva. 

Ok.....but have you heard the poetry/stuff that Carvahal says, makes Cantona seem like Pam Ayers!!:P

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did you see his miss against C*ltic today? Six inches out, keeper nowhere, hit the post...

Bit further out, under challenge.  You’ve missed worse!:whistle:

To be honest I feel a bit let down...End of December early January we were 2nd in the table and we just beaten Manchester united and given Man city 2 bloody good games,our stock could not be higher and looked a Prem club in the making. If we strengthened who knows what would of happened, since we lost at home to Wolves we have taken 10 points out of potentially 39.we have made poor signings this year imo with Diony being the worse. When I seen LJ so excited over this signing I thought we were on to something good.To say i'm disapointed is a understatement.

22 hours ago, Matty Taylors a Red said:

You have no problem with not chasing promotion, when we were 2nd in late December? Where is your ambition? 

What MA was saying was that the club are not prepared to spend huge amounts on marquee players. Very much in line with SLs transfer policy.

Thats what I don't have a problem with.

On 11/03/2018 at 12:12, where's the joy said:

ok so our season died when wolves equalised in the december home game.

Did it?  What have I been watching since then?  It is not mathematically impossible to make the play-offs?  What was that win against Sheffield Wednesday all about?  How dare they play well when they're meant to be dead and buried.

15 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Yes. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but good planning is even better.

I can understand one ‘punt’. The January window consisted of three major gambles. Not one delivered. That’s not unlucky, that’s poor decision-making.

Sorry, I disagree.  Only one gamble, not three.  Kent is proven at this level, as his performances for Barnsley next season proved.  Walsh is a young player brought in to develop for the future, in the same way that Brownhill and O'Dowda were brought in.  Diony was the only gamble, and so far it hasn't paid off.  However, both he and Kent are on loan, so hardly MAJOR gambles.

I t=hink Kent and Walsh, we could have got more out of them with a different setup personally.

Walsh in a midfield 3, although who he would have displaced would have been a big question- but could have been a 'first reserve' given some frequent absentees in recent months.

Kent as part of a front 3 in said setup...Reid, Kent, Paterson. 

Diony in hindsight was a total error- his confidence seems to be zero.

I really agree with post by @RedYoshi too- this season has had some brilliant memories!

Wins over Stoke and Watford were pretty good too- especially given how many we rotated, what a depth we had.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, I disagree.  Only one gamble, not three.  Kent is proven at this level, as his performances for Barnsley next season proved.  Walsh is a young player brought in to develop for the future, in the same way that Brownhill and O'Dowda were brought in.  Diony was the only gamble, and so far it hasn't paid off.  However, both he and Kent are on loan, so hardly MAJOR gambles.

I knew you were from the future, please tell me we make the prem next season as well!!!

Positives.....We didn't lose anyone to other clubs.

Negatives - We didn't get RB cover, we bought a young midfielder who isn't ready yet, a winger with no strength and gives the ball away cheaply, and a striker who had played 16 and scored 0 with his parent club.....that should have been warning enough!

Archived