IGNORED

Why have we stopped winning games?

reddogkev

To reply to the posters original question, maybe it was when MA said we weren't going for it this season. That statement may have been taken out of context but I wonder what effect it had on the players. They have certainly lost their self belief since the turn of the year. Perhaps they took it to mean that they weren't good enough to go up? In which case, stay in the Championship and keep your job. Before anyone attacks me for this I should add its a bit tongue in cheek!

Famara coming back has had a positive impact from a goal scoring perspective, but for me has taken away what we were doing really well. We now have him in the team whilst trying to accommodate Reid, Paterson and brownhill, our more creative players. 

We were more effective with mags at LB and Bryan playing left wing, much more solid as I personally don’t have a lot of confidence in JB being effective defensively on a consistent basis. 

Its a really tricky one for me, who misses out to make our wing areas more effective, Paterson? Famara? Brownhill? 

I also think having GON back in the fold could be a real positive for us going into the remaining fixtures.

24 minutes ago, marmite said:

To reply to the posters original question, maybe it was when MA said we weren't going for it this season. That statement may have been taken out of context but I wonder what effect it had on the players. They have certainly lost their self belief since the turn of the year. Perhaps they took it to mean that they weren't good enough to go up? In which case, stay in the Championship and keep your job. Before anyone attacks me for this I should add its a bit tongue in cheek!

I think that comment from Ashton, even though it might have been true as far as the club hierarchy were concerned, was really poor. Huddersfield at the beginning of last season were not specifically going for promotion after finishing the previous season just above the relegation places, but after a great start they just tried to keep it going. Sure they had blips (including the game against us) but I don't think anyone in their club said anything as crass as "we aren't ready for the Premier a League so we're not going for promotion after all", 2/3 of the way into the season. And look at them now - really decent chance of staying up.

As I have said on here a couple of months ago, opportunities for promotion to the Premier League haven't come along very often for us, and we should be trying to grasp it, if nothing more than for the experience of a season at the top level again at last and the benefit of a few years of parachute payments, which would likely make our chances of another tilt at promotion much better.

And anyway, how does Ashton or anyone else know we aren't ready from a playing point of view? Our style of play under LJ might be better suited to the Premier League than the Championship.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Flint has responded superbly to the threat v challenge dilemna. Did Johnson intentionally motivate him with this last August/September, or was it a happy accident?

We need more like Flint. 

The remarks appeared uneven. Its a masterstroke if Mr Johnson had known the approach (if deliberate) would lead to Aden Flints form. Others would have reacted negatively, and worse. Its not exact. Individuals are exactly that. What motivates one will not work with another.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

There are group dynamics to think about, too (like 12 months ago), and more changes, since January. Three new faces. Kent doing his own thing; is Diony getting on a sub through merit; he can't trap a bag of cement; how much is he on??etc etc. What do the rest of the "group" make of the changes?

All things we can never know. But it's fun to guess/wildly speculate/bark up the wrong tree about for a bit.

The post I answered originally was in regards to psychology. It is not witch craft. Used in football it is confidence building - What do the group, its individuals think of the changes and the work applied behind the scenes in training is part of the foundation of that building. Psychology is assistance alongside training. A percentile of the preparation.   

The same poster said he was bitterly disappointed by City's form. 

The players and City's form?

How do midfielders feel when others do their own thing and they have to play into and off can't trap cement, then do their running?  What would Aden Flint be like if taken outside of his skill set, or other players were directly inhibiting his normal game? 

What do skilful players think of as another describes it "hoof it and hope?" 

They are not robots. Negative answers lead to performance inhibiting stress to some % would be the normal and human response. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What is concerning me since December is 

a) Poor game management - Roy of the Rovers stuff , going full pelt for a win when a draw would be a good result.  playing to hold for a draw when we need more goals for security, then making one critical mistake at the worst time

Fixed with the far more typical source of our woes.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

2 league wins in 2018.  Shocking considering how good we were in 2017.

Are the players guilty of chucking this season away?  Who has stolen their confidence and the ability they demonstrated in the League Cup games?

There's still time to put everything right, we just need to get 2 wins together.  Seems impossible at the moment, but surely Ipswich and Barnsley offer such a chance.

If we carry on winning at the rate of 1 in 6, we are going to finish about 13th!

COME ON CITY, SORT IT BLOODY OUT!

Getting away from very serious and important issues like ..

What happened to his eye brows?

When Cardiff went through a sketchy patch Colin did not go ... Best do something else now lets play like Bristol City.

Seems to me Lee Johnson picks a ride, it gets choppy and he picks another.

Its gone long ball Lee. 

No theft.

No shocks.

Pick the ride.

Be strong.

There’s a multitude of reasons it’s come undone at the turn of the year, some of which I think will rectify itself but could be just a shade too late if not careful.

Without doubt the injuries have been a problem, but before the year was out we came through that really without any trouble culminating in beating Man Utd and competing well against Man City with an enforced first 11 not necessarily a first choice first 11. The amount of games though took it’s toll I think on that 11.

January transfer window could have been better obviously in terms of getting people in that people would associate with giving us the best chance of capitalising on our great position, however, we did well to also keep our squad complete. Who knows maybe if we had let people go, for example Flint, it would have enabled us to make a more aggressive play in the January transfer window.

We then have had returning players to blend back into the team like Diedhiou who lets face it has had a great return of goals, however, it has changed our play along with being hit with suspensions and loss of form to key players. 

In the background to this LJ, for all the tremendous work he has been doing, has not been able to fully work around these problems above. 

I think we can still make playoffs but it is likely to be very close. Middlesbrough have hit great form and have a favourable run in like us. Derby to me look the most vulnerable - they’ve got the worst run in with Cardiff, Preston, Wolves, Boro, Villa still to play. 

I think lots of things have been a component of why we have dropped off. 

Injuries, lack of signings, being figured out, fatigue, transfer rumours, cup run, suspensions. 

All those thrown together have caused us to stutter in 2018, however even if we have run out of legs we’ve had a great season.

Some were saying we were relegation fodder this year. We have overachieved massively so far. 

Its a puzzling one.

Looking at last season and this, I would imagine the weather has an impact as well, and before you all fall about with laughter, consider the precise fluid way we go about teams and try to apply that same methodology to a bobbly/ soft underfoot surface like the Pirelli Stadium as an example.

I am not saying it should be an excuse but I think it goes someway to explaining the dip in form especially away from Ashton Gate.

Perhaps we need to sign a few more cloggers for this time of the year, any suggestions?

25 minutes ago, Swede said:

Its a puzzling one.

Looking at last season and this, I would imagine the weather has an impact as well, and before you all fall about with laughter, consider the precise fluid way we go about teams and try to apply that same methodology to a bobbly/ soft underfoot surface like the Pirelli Stadium as an example.

I am not saying it should be an excuse but I think it goes someway to explaining the dip in form especially away from Ashton Gate.

Perhaps we need to sign a few more cloggers for this time of the year, any suggestions?

that is not the Bristol City playing now. punts and big blokes up front is the one seen away. 

Perhaps City should sign less blokes who cant trap that bag of cement kids who dribble all over the place and more players willing to pass to each other and can play that fluid football that was half decent.  

On 12/03/2018 at 12:14, Carey 6 said:

I think we've deserted our style of play. Perhaps this is a result of Diedhiou coming back in, we don't seem to be moving the ball round quite as quick .The games vs Cardiff & Burton were two of the worst I've seen for ages. It also seems as if when Smith has a poor game, we rarely get a result.

Quite a few players are lacking match practice, I believe we've arranged a behind closed doors friendly with Cheltenham tomorrow to help players get some game time in. 

Hopefully Diony takes his goalscoring form into Saturday :whistle:

F5AB6879-8CEC-47C7-BE10-22DF3877B614.png

On 12/03/2018 at 17:56, Cheesleysmate said:

Mentally not strong enough

Physically not strong enough 

Unfortunate with injuries to key players

Lack of strength in depth

Poor January transfer window activity

No real leadership on the pitch

Agreed. The mentality one is interesting and worth a ponder in the context of when we go a goal or more down; the heads of the lads, to their credit, do not drop. Last season they would have. This fact must be attributable to a professional approach and execution to all things training, mental and physical.

Mental exhaustion, on the other hand, which I assume you largely refer to, took a noticeable hit with that late late Wolves goal. What a turning point and I felt it might very well be at the time too.

I will just touch on one other, leadership on the pitch. I would like to see Wright stand down as the captain; he has not been my cup of tea all season but I would like to see if he improves without that burden and in his preferred position. But who replaces his captaincy? Did Flinty not turn it down? A leader of the Elliott type we certainly do lack.

I think we will miss out now; all of our remaining games will be hard.

On 12/03/2018 at 10:56, Cheesleysmate said:

Mentally not strong enough

Physically not strong enough 

Unfortunate with injuries to key players

Lack of strength in depth

Poor January transfer window activity

No real leadership on the pitch

Lack of experience and know how from the manager and coaches. None of these guys have top level or champ experience. Look at Cardiff. Warnock and his team get results. And they look good. 

Archived