IGNORED

Actual attendances

myol'man

Just found this on the Ashton Gate events page;

Recent events

As well as those events listed above, Ashton Gate is of course a sports venue, and over the past few weeks we've catered to huge attendances including some massive cup ties.

Recent attendances included:

Bristol City v Manchester United 25,603
Bristol City v Reading 18,780
Bristol City v Wolves 22,701
Bristol City v Norwich 18,439
Bristol City v Manchester City 25,653
Bristol City v QPR 18,454
Bristol City v Sunderland

I guess these must be the 'bums on seats' figures. Several thousand below the published figures at some games.

http://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/events/

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Interesting, they gave out the Wolves attendance as over 25k at the time didn’t they?!

Think the announcements at the stadium is "the attendance" not the actual bums on seats that myolman alluded to.

Also the arguement put forward by the club to the council in regard to the conditions that apply to the club footing the bill for parking scheme.

• The title was changed to Actual attendances

I remember back in the 90s the exact opposite used to happen. The official attendance was given out as considerably lower than the actual bums on seats , to the extent that one game everybody just turned to the Directors Box and just howled with laughter when a crowd of about 11,000 was given out as 7 something . They actually amended it about 5 minutes later. Obviously something dodgy going on back then.

3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I remember back in the 90s the exact opposite used to happen. The official attendance was given out as considerably lower than the actual bums on seats , to the extent that one game everybody just turned to the Directors Box and just howled with laughter when a crowd of about 11,000 was given out as 7 something . They actually amended it about 5 minutes later. Obviously something dodgy going on back then.

70's as well mate.

This type of thread comes up from time to time and some try to use it as a stick to beat City or our fan base and I can never work out why. It's quite simple really, just about every club give their attendance figures as tickets sold e.g Sunderland v Preston was 28,000 last week but many journalists estimate there was around 15,000 in the ground. Season ticket holders buy their ticket knowing they will get value as they will go to the vast majority of the games. However, weddings, funerals, illness, work, holidays, travel conditions etc can all mean fans might miss at least 2 games per season. Of course when the team is having a poor season e.g Sunderland, you might also get the 'can't be arsed factor'. City's attendances are the highest for nearly 40 years and we should celebrate that (bums on seats or tickets sold). 

The tone of these type of threads is often, why don't City tell the truth, when they are recording how many tickets have been sold and they are doing what the vast majority of other clubs do.

4 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

So according to that, around 3000 people per game buy tickets, then don't turn up. Seriously??

Would be interesting to know how many of our ST holders are kids on the (currently) super-cheap £50 season tickets. Suspect you won't mind not taking your kid to half-a-dozen games when you're paying an incredibly low price like that.

So according to that, around 3000 people per game buy tickets, then don't turn up. Seriously??

It’s more season card holders who cannot make it for whatever reason.

Look at Reading’s latest home attendances, they must not count season ticket holders as standard. Perhaps their worst since moving into the Madjeski.

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Would be interesting to know how many of our ST holders are kids on the (currently) super-cheap £50 season tickets. Suspect you won't mind not taking your kid to half-a-dozen games when you're paying an incredibly low price like that.

My season ticket (south stand) is £345. Based on the match day price of £28 for the Brentford game, i can miss up to 10 matches on my season ticker before it becomes worse value than buying game by game. 

I reckon i usually miss around 5 games a season on average for one reason or another. 

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sexstone once said on average 1 in 6 STH's don't turn up for each game.

Yes.

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

It’s more season card holders who cannot make it for whatever reason.

Look at Reading’s latest home attendances, they must not count season ticket holders as standard. Perhaps their worst since moving into the Madjeski.

I appreciate that there are much more important things in life than football, and often people can't make it for a whole number of reasons.. I'm just absolutely astonished that as many as one fifth of our season ticket holders miss each home game.

Whatever happens, don't tell the blue few. You know they'll come up with a stat about percentage of season ticket holders that attend games and try and claim they are the more loyal fans! :D

5 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I appreciate that there are much more important things in life than football, and often people can't make it for a whole number of reasons.. I'm just absolutely astonished that as many as one fifth of our season ticket holders miss each home game.

Whatever happens, don't tell the blue few. You know they'll come up with a stat about percentage of season ticket holders that attend games and try and claim they are the more loyal fans! :D

It does seem high but it won`t be the same fifth every game. I`ve missed two this season, one through illness and the Wednesday game when I was snowed in - I wouldn`t have missed either normally. A case in point - the bloke who sits next to me in the SS has a ST and so does his 13/14 year old son. The dad has been there for every game but I doubt his son has seen more than about six.

18 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I’m sure most ST holders miss some games for various  reasons and 20 % is probably a reasonable estimate. There can be conflicting work commitments, family commitments, holidays, weather, illness and so on. I’m quite committed but I think I’ve missed four out of nineteen to date.

On 23/03/2018 at 22:59, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'd estimate it was more like 2010/11, and I expect similar numbers apply today.

It certainly looks like it when you're at the ground.

Not a great season....several of the players didn't used to turn up either.  

@The Horse With No Name  @Loon plage

Early 2000's too...fairly sure around 2003 time, quite a few games were announced as between 9-11,000 or so and yet- away end aside- the ground looked less than empty. So arguably undercounting by 2-3k.

Take Colchester at home during that massive winning run under Danny Wilson in the Brighton playoff final loss season. I know they would have brought next to no fans but I struggle to believe we could near the top with 6 wins on the bounce behind us, only have got 10,733 that day! In those times, our attendances spiked quite a bit when in a major run or a promotion push, so 10,733 (I've got the attendances up from that season), seemed a bit suspect to me.

On 24/03/2018 at 05:12, Wanderingred said:

It’s a bit like Rovers away attendances, except 3,000 people don’t buy tickets, don’t turn up, but then get added to their fans match reports. 

Archived