IGNORED

Which switch is the right switch for Ipswich?

wendyredredrobin

What do we need to change against Ipswich on Saturday?  I guess that some changes may result from fitness problems and Flinty and Bryan are both still suspended.

Back line of Pisano, Wright, Maggers, Kelly unless Baker is fit.

Do we try playing with a winger or not?  Do we go back to playing with a false no 9 and is Milan ready to start yet?

We clearly need to do something to stop this awful run of form. Fresh legs, different tactics or go back to the tried and trusted?

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

What do we need to change against Ipswich on Saturday?  I guess that some changes may result from fitness problems and Flinty and Bryan are both still suspended.

Do we try playing with a winger or not?  Do we go back to playing with a false no 9 and is Milan ready to start yet?

We clearly need to do something to stop this awful run of form. Fresh legs, different tactics or go back to the tried and trusted?

We'll mostly stay with the tired and trusted I suspect.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We clearly need to do something to stop this awful run of form. Fresh legs or go back to the tried and trusted?

The players have 6 more days to recover from any minor knocks so I expect every available player will have fresh legs.

With Flint and Bryan still on the naughty step LJ will probably go with a similar line up to the one at Burton unless of course Baler is fit to start.

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The players have 6 more days to recover from any minor knocks so I expect every available player will have fresh legs.

With Flint and Bryan still on the naughty step LJ will probably go with a similar line up to the one at Burton unless of course Baler is fit to start.

Baker was in the staring line up v Burton. I think (and hope!) you're right and with the week off he can get fit enough to start and this time play a bit beyond half time. 

Otherwise, I'd expect much the same line up. Its the subs that will be interesting. Hopefully also the week will allow Djuric to get some more match fitness behind him and that will give us better options later in the game; I know he came on at Burton, and did well, but still looked like he needed more time. Our most effective plan B earlier in the season was bringing him on with Taylor replacing Patterson or Brownhill and Bobby Reid dropping back. Not sure what we do now and I guess depends a bit on how the game pans out. If we need a goal I fear it might be Djuric and Diony, and much as Id love him to show us what he's clearly capable of, I cant see it happening right now. 

After watching the Spurs highlights it shows what a coach/manager can do. Kane goes off and the obvious thing is swap like for like, instead he brings on Llamella and goes 4-3-3 . Have to say I wouldn't mind seeing us try that, with FD up top and Bobby and Pato either side . They could drop into a 5 if we were under pressure, but both can easily swap positions and get past the front man. It is though, just an idle dream as we will set up the same as always.
We have the players for a few formations, depending if all CB's are fit and available we have an obvious 5-3-2 .
If I had to bet though, we would start with same system and players as Saturday , not only that but I'd bet that Diony will get a run. My only hope is that he gets a run because we've already won the game :fingerscrossed:

Let's try something different?

Assuming Baker unfit.

Fielding

Pisano Wright Magnússon Kelly

Brownhill Smith Pack

Kent Paterson

Reid

I would also advocate in that set up, Kent and Paterson wouldn't be wingers as such but inside forwards- yet with the ability to drift wide both defensively and offensively as and when necessary.

That's before we even consider options such as Eliason, Walsh, Djuric to name 3...

4-4-2 with a big guy, albeit with more to his game too (Diedhiou) as one of the 2 up top and 2 wingers who can come inside- it's unorthodox but it isn't really working, is it.

2 hours ago, Super said:

We really need to go for it now at home. Draws are as good as a defeat. Kent in for Patto.

Kent in for Pato - really?

I didn't see Burton but Pato looked good vs S Weds?

If we are bringing the big guys back up top we need people who can deliver a cross - while I'm no fan, as he too often receives the ball and returns it backwards, even Eliasson would be a better crosser than Kent based on recent games?

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's try something different.

Assuming Baker unfit?

Pisano Wright Magnússon Kelly

Brownhill Smith Pack

Kent Paterson

Reid

I would also advocate in that set up, Kent and Paterson wouldn't be wingers as such but inside forwards- yet with the ability to drift wide both defensively and offensively as and when necessary.

Inside forwards Mr P,you’ll be saying next we should use jumpers for goalposts.

5 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Inside forwards Mr P,you’ll be saying next we should use jumpers for goalposts.

They are actually making a bit of a comeback at the higher levels tbh.

It may turn out to be a disastrous setup- but there's only one way to find out...

(I actually think- particularly when key defensive players return- it has good potential, but then I would say that wouldn't I :P ).

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Jumpers or inside forwards.

7 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I'd argue Pedro, Hazard, Willian- all can play inside forward for example. Chelsea last season great example. Admittedly, modern wingers could be a more alternative, more commonly used phrase for inside forwards.

Regardless of the terminology though, I think that setup would be worth a crack.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd argue Pedro, Hazard, Willian- all can play inside forward for example. Chelsea last season great example. Admittedly, modern wingers could be a more alternative, more commonly used phrase for inside forwards.

Yes I agree,I’m just waiting for the return of the sweeper playing behind the back four as opposed to the new sweeper,who sweeps up behind the midfield and in front of the back four.

Personally I would drop Diedhiou. The main reason is that his all round game disturbs our play, his first touch isn’t good enough at times and we lose possession.

I’d like us to play a bit more like PNE, they have energy all over the pitch and I think that suits our game perfectly. The likes of Robinson, Maguire and Harrop work well for them and we came unstuck in midweek.

I’d like to see...

Fielding

Pisano        Wright      Baker       Magnússon

Brownhill     Smith      Pack        Kent/Pato

Pato/Kent    

Reid

We want to see the high press energy back and I believe that’s our best style of play. Diedhiou doesn’t come into it sadly, for me.

33 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Personally I would drop Diedhiou. The main reason is that his all round game disturbs our play, his first touch isn’t good enough at times and we lose possession.

I’d like us to play a bit more like PNE, they have energy all over the pitch and I think that suits our game perfectly. The likes of Robinson, Maguire and Harrop work well for them and we came unstuck in midweek.

I’d like to see...

Fielding

Pisano        Wright      Baker       Magnússon

Brownhill     Smith      Pack        Kent/Pato

Pato/Kent    

Reid

We want to see the high press energy back and I believe that’s our best style of play. Diedhiou doesn’t come into it sadly, for me.

Hard to say it but I kind of agree.

------------------------------------------FF------------------------------------------

------------Wright------------------Baker---------------Mags--------------

---------------------------Smith---------------Pack-----------------------------

Brownhill------------------------------------------------------------------Pato

-----------------------------------------Reid-----------------------------------------

--------------------------Famara----------------Duric---------------------------

Change it up a bit and just go for it...win or bust on this game imo.

Archived