IGNORED

I wonder what the players think of their fans ?

lgbbcf

If we ignore the self employed how many employees really think about what their customers think?

The reality in the current world is that football is a business, if players move around clubs they would be more concerned with their own performance, not what the customers think.

Sadly this Customer vs Supplier mentality is what seems to be behind Bristol Sports season ticket strategy right now. No-one cares what fans think as long as they get paid.

34 minutes ago, lgbbcf said:

this is a thing i wonder all the time. 

our fan base is so fickle i wonder if the players pick up on it and how they feel ? 

Had the 'pleasure' of bumping into a number of our players in Pam Pam's night club one Saturday with a group of friends, all of us season ticket holders.

All of the players came across quite arrogant and idiotic, in particular Flint and Smith.

We did end up having a good chat with Joe Bryan. Commented how he hates the fans in Dolman and can hear of all their criticism. Also said most of them know nothing about football. 

I can't think of many other lines of employment where 20'000 people loudly point out you're doing a shit job while you are trying to work. 

I can imagine that as a player you'd just like to walk off some days and say '**** it'.

The opposite must be true when you score or taste success.

I've never really believed in all that kiss the badge and play for the club nonsense. In 26 years of work I've never felt that loyal about any job (and 22 of those were in the Navy where loyalty is part of the DNA). To 99.9 percent of footballers a club is their current employer and nothing more. If the pay and conditions are good, they enjoy what they are doing and get on with the people there then they will perform to the best of whatever ability they have. If any of those conditions aren't met (including their own ability to do the job) they will move on. 

What we as fans say and do will contribute to those conditions as much as anything else. You call a player shit week in week out and I think he'd want to leave.

2 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Had the 'pleasure' of bumping into a number of our players in Pam Pam's night club one Saturday with a group of friends, all of us season ticket holders.

All of the players came across quite arrogant and idiotic, in particular Flint and Smith.

We did end up having a good chat with Joe Bryan. Commented how he hates the fans in Dolman and can hear of all their criticism. Also said most of them know nothing about football. 

No more loud cheers and applause from me in the Dolman who despite playing amateur football, reading football and watching football for over 50 years, knows nothing about football then. How much experience does Joe have? Does he even know what the W formation is? :)

Going back to the days on Danny Wilson I used to see lots of City players in the Sawyers Arms  in Nailsea. The likes of Peacock, Thorpe and Murray were serious  piss artists and the more they drank the louder they got. They were just like other blokes of their age.

I chatted regularly to one player in particular who was a very decent guy but was well aware of not getting too friendly with the locals because of them trying to get freebie match tickets off him.  He was very wary about it and because of it some locals thought he was stand offish. Far from it in fact.

Like Bryan he thought that most fans knew very little about the professional game and felt that to understand the game properly you needed to have been involved in it either as a player or a coach,

I think lots of players have a similar view of us fans.

3 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Fans know enough to see when a player got a little to big for his boots and believed in all the hype in recent months 

I know the owner of a well known Portishead area paintball site.  Approx 10 years ago he said the City players were all in for some 'teambuilding' and were possibly the most arrogant, unfriendly and rude peope he had ever had in there!  I was quite upset to hear that.  So therefore so as not to burst any more bubbles I try not to think about it

14 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

I know the owner of a well known Portishead area paintball site.  Approx 10 years ago he said the City players were all in for some 'teambuilding' and were possibly the most arrogant, unfriendly and rude peope he had ever had in there!  I was quite upset to hear that.  So therefore so as not to burst any more bubbles I try not to think about it

You get any bunch of blokes from the same workplace out on a "bonding' day you'll  inevitably get several of them being complete arseholes which gets worse when add booze to the mix.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You get any bunch of blokes from the same workplace out on a "bonding' day you'll  inevitably get several of them being complete arseholes which gets worse when add booze to the mix.

I wouldn’t imagine it was the first bunch of blokes from a ‘workplace’ bonding he’d had at a paintball venue? So if they were the worst I’d imagine they were pretty bad.

You seem to just reflexively back BS, the club, SL, LJ and MA no matter the subject or the points raised?  Are they holding your bowls to ransom?

7 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I wouldn’t imagine it was the first bunch of blokes from a ‘workplace’ bonding he’d had at a paintball venue? So if they were the worst I’d imagine they were pretty bad.

You seem to just reflexively back BS, the club, SL, LJ and MA no matter the subject or the points raised?  

The guys were Bristol City players and therefore fairly well known and noticeable. Any other group of anonymous guys being arseholes in the same way wouldn't have been remembered. 

I'll always debate any subject if I think the topic is unnecessarily negative or simply shortsighted - and there are lots of them.........:facepalm:

I don’t think players give a toss about the fans really...the pros/ex-pros I’ve spoken to say they can’t hear anything from the stands during the game as they focus on the match and block everything else out. A prominent ex-City player I bumped into on hols told me his only ambition in football was to be transferred as many times as possible so he could get ‘loads of signing on fees’ - they really don’t care about us....as I’ve said several times on here, I support the name, the badge and my fellow supporters....everything else will come and go...

49 minutes ago, RumRed said:

You seem to just reflexively back BS, the club, SL, LJ and MA no matter the subject or the points raised?  Are they holding your bowls to ransom?

I think it’s harsh to blame Bristol Sport & MA, in particular, for a group of players that were here 10 years ago..! 

LJ was actually quite a quiet, focused character, as a player and I Doubt that SL would have been on a paintballing day our with the players..! 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Absolute b*llocks. I've been on paintball team building days with work colleagues, all males, all drinking, and it wasn't an issue. Also been with stag dos, again, no issues.

Footballers just have this self belief that they're the greatest human beings alive and deserve to be loud, uncouth and get away with murder. Truth is, when they're middle aged and the money/fame/women has dried up, a lot of ex-Championship/League 1 players are a sorry state.

Don’t they say never meet your hero’s!  We as fans have a perception that players love football, love the club, always want to talk football etc etc when the reality is probably different.  Why would a pro footballer want to talk to somebody they don’t know about football when they are not in work, just to appease some sense of loyalty they probably don’t feel?  Especially if the random chatting to them is pi$$ed up in the pub and liable to spill drink on them! If I played for City I would stay well clear of any fans to be honest

20 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Absolute b*llocks. I've been on paintball team building days with work colleagues, all males, all drinking, and it wasn't an issue. Also been with stag dos, again, no issues.

Footballers just have this self belief that they're the greatest human beings alive and deserve to be loud, uncouth and get away with murder. Truth is, when they're middle aged and the money/fame/women has dried up, a lot of ex-Championship/League 1 players are a sorry state.

So because it didn’t happen to you then you dismiss the comment as b*llocks???

You must not know any a$$hokes I guess, although for me, anyone who even goes Paintballing by definition is an a$$hole, but then that’s just me

20 hours ago, lgbbcf said:

this is a thing i wonder all the time. 

our fan base is so fickle i wonder if the players pick up on it and how they feel ? 

On 9th January, Josh Brownhill said: "Fans were class." 

On Jan 10th, Jamie Paterson said: "The fans were unbelievable." 

On Jan 10th, Bailey Wright said: "Fans were class last night."

On March 3rd, Hörður Magnússon said: "Fans massive like always."

So, generally, I think the feeling is positive, although they appear to believe that we could lose a stone or two. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

On 9th January, Josh Brownhill said: "Fans were class." 

On Jan 10th, Jamie Paterson said: "The fans were unbelievable." 

On Jan 10th, Bailey Wright said: "Fans were class last night."

On March 3rd, Hörður Magnússon said: "Fans massive like always."

So, generally, I think the feeling is positive, although they appear to believe that we could lose a stone or two. 

You don't seriously believe this do you?

They have media training and know what to say to appease the (dwindling) masses, they really couldn't give a flying #### as long as their bulging pay packets are delivered

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

You don't seriously believe this do you?

They have media training and know what to say to appease the (dwindling) masses, they really couldn't give a flying #### as long as their bulging pay packets are delivered

Well, I think they have a point: we do have some proper fat b*st*rds that could do with losing weight. Have you not noticed?

They are blokes in their early to mid twenties. Of course they probably come across as having a chip on their shoulder, like almost every other bloke at that age out with his mates. Don't be fooled by the job and the wealth, they need time to grow up and mature just like the rest of us.

20 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

At the risk of getting a massive whoosh, is this real?

Archived