IGNORED

Southampton

Redandwhitescarf

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They’ve had 10 managers in the last 10 years now....crazy....and to think Lawrie McMenemy lasted nearly 12 years at the Southampton helm...those were the days...and he delivered an FA Cup win...

Sad thing is I think our board probably see them as a club to aspire to be, still in the Prem (albeit only just)  but bringing players through, developing them, then selling them off for massive profit.... rinse, repeat. It's shocking how many of the players they've developed they've just sold off and tried to replace on the cheap to start the process all over again and then they wonder why no manager can build them up :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Sad thing is I think our board probably see them as a club to aspire to be, still in the Prem (albeit only just)  but bringing players through, developing them, then selling them off for massive profit.... rinse, repeat. It's shocking how many of the players they've developed they've just sold off and tried to replace on the cheap to start the process all over again and then they wonder why no manager can build them up :laugh:

I agree, in recent years they’ve developed/acquired and then sold some amazing/decent players...eg Bale, Walcott, Lallana, Shaw, Mane, Clyne, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wanyama, Alderweireld etc.....and hilariously, they didn’t build a sell-on clause into Bale’s transfer to Spurs! How amateur is that?! (.....about as amateur as us not building a sell-on clause into Andy Cole’s transfer to The Toon)...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree, in recent years they’ve developed/acquired and then sold some amazing/decent players...eg Bale, Walcott, Lallana, Shaw, Mane, Clyne, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wanyama, Alderweireld etc.....and hilariously, they didn’t build a sell-on clause into Bale’s transfer to Spurs! How amateur is that?! (.....about as amateur as us not building a sell-on clause into Andy Cole’s transfer to The Toon)...

Southampton actually did have a 25% clause on Bale, but when they were struggling for cash they accepted Spurs’ offer of around £3m and a player (goalkeeper Tommy Forecast) to cancel the sell-on.

That’s almost as bad as not having one at all, to be fair!

If Southampton go down they will sell the top earners and replace them with academy lads that are more capable at Championship level. This is what LJ talks about but will struggle to achieve during his tenure in charge unfortunately. Southampton aren’t a much bigger club than City in many ways but they have always invested massively in the academy. Gareth Bale was on city’s academy briefly then left for Southampton (sad but true). Purely based on academy reputation they will attract decent potential managers. Southampton will probably never be a top club but in response to a previous post,City really should aspire to be like them in many ways 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

So we’re 7th in the Championship and we’re sneering at the business model of a club of comparable size to ours who have finished in the top 8 in the Premier League for the last four seasons, yeah?

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So we’re 7th in the Championship and we’re sneering at the business model of a club of comparable size to ours who have finished in the top 8 in the Premier League for the last four seasons, yeah?

I was just thinking the same thing. 

Southampton are an incredible model to follow.

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm sneering at the fact that their business model is the reason they're coming back down if they're not careful. It's all good and well to buy low and sell big but sooner or later you run out of quality to sell and that's when you're left with a bare-bones team for the league you're in. If anything I'm saying let's learn from their mistakes, yes we need to sell but we also need to try and hold onto some of our talents before we have none left.

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Mark Hughes early fave, what is it with Mark Hughes?  Literally does nothing as a manager wherever he goes and still gets jobs!

Managerial merry go round for failed managers.

Archived