IGNORED

Sheffield United at Home last game

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The discussion was on the recent poor form, you have included games from before that poor form started, going as far back as late November/early December.

No, it’s simple, you said our form has improved since Diédhiou has returned from injury....but it hasn’t, he has been ‘back’ for ten games so I naturally compared the ten games before he was back to the ten games since he has been back...and it clearly shows  that we won more points when he was injured over the same period that he was playing....so our form has not improved since Diedhiou’s return....we’ve won less points, it ain’t rocket science...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, it’s simple, you said our form has improved since Diédhiou has returned from injury....but it hasn’t, he has been ‘back’ for ten games so I naturally compared the ten games before he was back to the ten games since he has been back...and it clearly shows  that we won more points when he was injured over the same period that he was playing....so our form has not improved since Diedhiou’s return....we’ve won less points, it ain’t rocket science...

Our form including and since the Wolves game, the start of the spell actually being discussed, without Diedhiou.

P3 L3 0PPG

With Diedhiou

P10 W2 D 5 L3 1.1PPG

Obviously what is rocket science to you is that using games from when we were getting good results- ergo not the bad form mentioned- distorts the numbers.

There isn't a perfect comparison between the before and since because of the numbers, distorted in your case, and a very small sample in mine.

20 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Our form including and since the Wolves game, the start of the spell actually being discussed, without Diedhiou.

P3 L3 0PPG

With Diedhiou

P10 W2 D 5 L3 1.1PPG

Obviously what is rocket science to you is that using games from when we were getting good results- ergo not the bad form mentioned- distorts the numbers.

There isn't a perfect comparison between the before and since because of the numbers, distorted in your case, and a very small sample in mine.

No, you said our form has improved since Diédhiou’s return...it hasn’t...that is clear..

39 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

P3 L3 0PPG

With Diedhiou

P10 W2 D 5 L3 1.1PPG

Hang on....so you think we were without Diédhiou for only three games?! Really?! He was injured in the cup tie vs Palace in October 2017 and he came back to action on 19 January 2018...so he was out injured for 17 games....where did you get your ‘played 3 lost 3’ when he was out ridiculous stat from?!

I still stand by my comparing the 10 games before Diédhiou was injured to the 10 games after he was back...and it proves we have won significantly less points since he’s been back...

35 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hang on....so you think we were without Diédhiou for only three games?! Really?! He was injured in the cup tie vs Palace in October 2017 and he came back to action on 19 January 2018...so he was out injured for 17 games....where did you get your ‘played 3 lost 3’ when he was out ridiculous stat from?!

I still stand by my comparing the 10 games before Diédhiou was injured to the 10 games after he was back...and it proves we have won significantly less points since he’s been back...

You really love making me repeat myself.

From the start of our bad form (how many times have I stated that now, four, five?) starting with the Wolves game (second time I've said that)

The person I was responding to (before you jumped in looking for an argument) had actually put a date, commenting on the lack of positives since January first. I had included the Wolves game as it was just 2 days earlier and the start of the bad form.

Are you trying to outdo Robbored when it comes to ignoring reading what is actually written in front of you?

37 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Facepalm GIF

On 13/03/2018 at 21:09, ExiledAjax said:

We had the entirety of one end at Burton, our fans were far louder than Burton fans and we accounted for 38% of the attendance - it didn't help us one bit.

Likewise I was in the away end for Fulham v Wolves last month. 5,500 Wolves fan in the whole of the Putney end. Wolves lost.

It's a myth that giving an away team the entire Atyeo automatically gives them a huge advantage.

It’s about marginal gains - something we apparently subscribe to as a club. We either believe in it totally or not at all and it’s obvious having away fans dominate an end behind the goal has the potential to impact the game.

I remember Cotterill was furious that away fans were allowed to be around the tunnel at the Atyeo end. Such a rookie error and if a football manager who’s had his experience and success believes it too that’s good enough for me as his opinion probably carry a bit more weight than Otib posters!

I haven’t the time nor inclination but I’m confident if you somehow took the results of games where the away team had a large % of attendance and the entirety of one end - you’d see a higher average of away wins and draws.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ooooh! That will hurt my Wolves mates...’brummies’ ?! You obviously aren’t aware that Wolverhampton is a City in its own right, it ain’t in Birmingham....that’s like calling Bath’s population Bristolians...

I know. I have two Wolves fans as mates myself - hence I was in the away end. They're brummies and they know it. :fear:

22 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

No he didnt.

Stop lying

Ashton said " we're not specifically targeting promotion this year " 

Even this begs the question " if we're not trying to win it , then WTF are we doing ? " 

Surely the goal for every club at the start of the new season is to try to win the competition ? 

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Even this begs the question " if we're not trying to win it , then WTF are we doing ? " 

Surely the goal for every club at the start of the new season is to try to win the competition ? 

Did Leicester set out to win the league in the season they won it?

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Every club wants to win every single game, however that is an impossibility.

Every club wants promotion, that doesn't make it a realistic target.

IIRC there was a fair bit more to the quote, but as with the thread you created at the time you selected one short string of words so the wider context within the statement is lost.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ooooh! That will hurt my Wolves mates...’brummies’ ?! You obviously aren’t aware that Wolverhampton is a City in its own right, it ain’t in Birmingham....that’s like calling Bath’s population Bristolians...

Are people from Wolverhampton right up their own arses as well then? 

25 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Did Leicester set out to win the league in the season they won it?

They set out to win as many of their 38 matches as they could, so I'd say yes.  Certain clubs will have certain targets for the season, which gives them a barometer for what they can consider "success" to mean for a particular campaign - but that doesn't mean they don't aim over and above those targets.

Leicester narrowly avoided relegation the season before so their target was probably, say, 15th.  That doesn't mean they "set out" to finish 15th - they would have set out to have finished as high as possible, but would have considered the campaign to have been a success should they have finished 15th or higher.

Probably rambling a bit but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They set out to win as many of their 38 matches as they could, so I'd say yes.  Certain clubs will have certain targets for the season, which gives them a barometer for what they can consider "success" to mean for a particular campaign - but that doesn't mean they don't aim over and above those targets.

Leicester narrowly avoided relegation the season before so their target was probably, say, 15th.  That doesn't mean they "set out" to finish 15th - they would have set out to have finished as high as possible, but would have considered the campaign to have been a success should they have finished 15th or higher.

Probably rambling a bit but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at.

Relevant to our case, I specifically remember LJ saying at the start of the season that he didn't like setting targets in terms of league position because you should always be aiming to finish as high as possible.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Every club wants to win every single game, however that is an impossibility.

Every club wants promotion, that doesn't make it a realistic target.

IIRC there was a fair bit more to the quote, but as with the thread you created at the time you selected one short string of words so the wider context within the statement is lost.

The wider context was that we weren't prepared to throw every thing at a possible promotion.

Which in itself is commendable but it must be said that since that statement we have fallen off the pace , coincidence ? 

I'm not so sure . If the noises around the players are ' we're not going full pelt for promotion ' why  should they worry about flogging themselves into the ground.

The club is comfortable with another season in the Championship so the pressure is off the coaching and playing staff .

I should think many of the squad are already planning for life elsewhere next season in any case . 

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s about marginal gains - something we apparently subscribe to as a club. We either believe in it totally or not at all and it’s obvious having away fans dominate an end behind the goal has the potential to impact the game.

I remember Cotterill was furious that away fans were allowed to be around the tunnel at the Atyeo end. Such a rookie error and if a football manager who’s had his experience and success believes it too that’s good enough for me as his opinion probably carry a bit more weight than Otib posters!

I haven’t the time nor inclination but I’m confident if you somehow took the results of games where the away team had a large % of attendance and the entirety of one end - you’d see a higher average of away wins and draws.

Fully agreed,

Marginal gains...people are increasingly aware of this now, and certainly noisy and vociferous away support boosts the chances of the opposition performing. It's no sure thing, but then there's no such thing as a sure thing- so to me 10%, segregation and the City fans in the remainder of the Atyeo. Especially if this game has something riding on it for us.

Same ticket allocation as the games v the two Manchester clubs.

With, after segregation factored in, the rest going to City fans in the Atyeo.

Thinking back, didn't we give Wolves the full away end? For a top of the table clash with a chance to beat them and put real pressure on them from us and the chasing pack? Nuts!

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I will be delighted if we have something riding on this game .

The tension would be unbearable if either them or us needed a win to nick a play off place . We just know it's going to happen don't we ?

Still on the bright side , any of you considered buying shares in Isewater Industries ? 

:thumbsup:

Not to take up the pedant flag , but it would only be unbearable if WE have something riding on it. 
Otherwise I won't give a flying one :cool:

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I will be delighted if we have something riding on this game .

The tension would be unbearable if either them or us needed a win to nick a play off place . We just know it's going to happen don't we ?

Still on the bright side , any of you considered buying shares in Isewater Industries ? 

:thumbsup:

I've got it looking like this heading into the final day... would be unlikely but not impossible. Taking care of the result against Sheff Utd coupled with Boro dropping points away to Ipswich and hoping Millwall lose at home to Villa.

Or drawing to Villa and us winning by 4+ goals. Just being in the race for the Sheff Utd game would be good.

league.PNG

9 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

I've got it looking like this heading into the final day... would be unlikely but not impossible. Taking care of the result against Sheff Utd coupled with Boro dropping points away to Ipswich and hoping Millwall lose at home to Villa.

Or drawing to Villa and us winning by 4+ goals. Just being in the race for the Sheff Utd game would be good.

league.PNG

If you offered me this now I would take it.

Millwall losing at home to Villa is plausible, as is Boro dropping points at Ipswich (who may have new manager bounce by then).  Plus it would be good to go into the last game with something riding on it, it would mean a sell out and a decent atmosphere.

Archived