IGNORED

Blood donors required at AG today!

Septic Peg

Following the recent bad weather, blood stocks have dropped to low levels and the blood banks are trying to get back to a suitable amount.

Ashton Gate are today holding a blood drive in the Heineken Suite for current and new blood donors. I myself dropped a pint off last week at Southmead and spoke to the staff who are concerned at the stock shortages. Yesterday, I was informed that my blood was sent to University Hospital, Durham, just 8 days after I donated it.

Can you spare one hour maximum? The donation itself takes about 5 - 10 minutes and the rest is the nurses trying to shove as much free tea/coffee/squash/ water and biscuits/crisps as possible. I can vouch for 2 pint glasses of squash, a packet of ready salted and 2 mint Clubs, and they still wanted to force feed me...

Walk in appointments are available but you may be able to book online at www.blood.co.uk 

So please go to the Heineken Lounge from 1.25pm til 3.30pm and 4.30pm til 7.30pm and literally save a life.

Further details are available on the link above or call 0300 123 23 23.

Used to regularly donate blood back when at uni, but now I am ineligible:

- can't donate in UK because I have lived in the Caribbean (4 week waiting period effectively means I can't ever donate on a trip home)
- can't donate in the Cayman Islands because I lived in the UK during the BSE period.

Which is frustrating, since I would be happy to donate at every opportunity.

I fainted when I tried so they said "thanks but no thanks".

My fiancé has a rare type of blood (O negative) and gave so regularly that she is now low on iron herself.  She will again in the future but not so routinely (not every 17 weeks).

I urge anyone thinking of donating to do so, any of us may need it at a minutes notice.

I’ve never given blood, feel a bit guilty as when my Mum was alive she was given a couple of pints when she was very ill which really made a huge difference. So thank you to whoever donated, I’m realky greatfull.

I have had blood tests though, firstly when pregnant ( years ago) and more recently. They always have great difficulty getting blood out of me ( deep veins apparently), it’s a real struggle and not pleasant so can I be excused please @Septic Peg. In my defence I’m A- which shows the biggest stocks on the graphic.

Ibwould really like to donate but don’t think I can sadly.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I’ve never given blood, feel a bit guilty as when my Mum was alive she was given a couple of pints when she was very ill which really made a huge difference. So thank you to whoever donated, I’m realky greatfull.

I have had blood tests though, firstly when pregnant ( years ago) and more recently. They always have great difficulty getting blood out of me ( deep veins apparently), it’s a real struggle and not pleasant so can I be excused please @Septic Peg. In my defence I’m A- which shows the biggest stocks on the graphic.

Ibwould really like to donate but don’t think I can sadly.

Of course. 

Rest assured, I was told my veins are "prominent and strong" so I'll donate for you next time. My veins are so good apparently, they want to test me for platelets (if I pass, I'll be hooked up to a machine every few weeks for 90 mins at a time) but it means I can do it more often. Might give it a whirl or mix it up, blood for a bit then platelets for a bit...

Totally understand that some can't, whether via travel or health issues or whatever but anyone who can, should. 

Please consider it. Coincidentally, if you couldn't make it today, the next one at AG is 25th April (same times, same venue).

I also have a handy leaflet with donation sessions in and around the local area inc parts of Somerset so I'll take a photo and post. If you can't see it very well, feel free to DM me.

1521063129541274479614.jpg

15210632156041472130474.jpg

Turns out I'm a whopping great pussy and almost faint just at the thought of a needle penetrating my skin. Horrible stuff.

Fair play anyone who does donate, amazing bit of technology, and the stocks being that low really puts things in to perspective.

44 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Septic Peg be good if the club promoted the fact they had the blood donors there - it surely would hit a bigger target audience

Did notice that. Absolutely nowt on the Twitter page. Even the day before and the day of might have encouraged a couple to pop in on their way home.

Could have even chucked in a free ticket/free shirt to sweeten the blow. No one is buying merch now after ticketgate so there will be loads left over...

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:05, Septic Peg said:

Did notice that. Absolutely nowt on the Twitter page. Even the day before and the day of might have encouraged a couple to pop in on their way home.

** Could have even chucked in a free ticket/free shirt to sweeten the blow. No one is buying merch now after ticketgate so there will be loads left over...

** Ahh, come on Peg really?

... that'd be 'like getting blood out of a stone' !!!

Archived