IGNORED

Todays video,Sunderland away 1998

1960maaan

Alan Brazil says many think it will be lambs to the slaughter, didn't quite turn out like that thanks to Kieth Welch and Soon Andersen. Andersen was one we got rid of in the cull after relegation, I always liked him but he seemed to make similar runs to Akinbye. There was only going to be one winner in the fight for that shirt. Couple of bonus pics below the video . I don't watch the whole video when I do these, but when I was editing this one a couple of faces stood out. First , I left the score round up on the end as I found it interesting that Leeds went top of the Prem this night. Also in the the round up a goal by a young striker by the name of Wilbraham. Then in the crowd the legend that was Beryl.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 15.17.32.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 15.09.48.png

2 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

This video reminds me of 3 things. What a great finisher Soren Anderson was, how I loved watching Greg Goodridge run with the ball and how dreadful Sean Dyche was.

My memories of 98-99. Please correct if my memory is failing.

City spent more in the summer of 1998 than ever before. 7,500 season tickets had been sold, a third of the ground’ s capacity. Forwards Ade Akinbiyi came from Gillingham for £1.2 million, Tony Thorpe from Fulham for £1 million and Danish International Soren Anderson was secured for £700,000. Other International players to arrive were midfielders Moldavian Ivan Tistimetanu and Hungarian Vilmos Sebok. This proved to be a dubious advantage later in the season. One night as defender Brennan played for Canada and Sebok scored a hat trick for his country, City were losing a vital game against fellow strugglers.  It was to be a season where they scored in nearly every game, but with Sean Taylor missing through injury and other stalwarts absent every few weeks, the defence was just not strong enough. Watford visited in August and won 4-1, in late Autumn City lost consecutive matches 5-0 and 6-1. The first win had not occurred until late September, 5-2 against fellow strugglers Crewe. In four consecutive games City had been winning, but conceded an equaliser in the last minute. After 16 matches, Benny Lennartson was brought in as a specific defence coach. John Ward felt this undermined his position, so he departed leaving Lennartson in charge. He had the worst start of any manager in the club’s history, just two wins in the first 22 games. Keith Welch was replaced in goal by Phillips, a local lad. Bo Anderson had been signed but Phillips kept him out for two months. Welch was released at the end of the season. Dyche, Torpey, Crambe and Thorpe all finished the season on loan to other clubs. The first three because they had not regained their places following long injuries, Thorpe because he was a disappointment. Hope had emerged at Easter when three consecutive victories were recorded, but then they slipped up as the others around them achieved shock results. City finished bottom of the division.

There had been bright moments though; Akinbiyi scored 23 goals, Sunderland had been running away with the division, but were held to a 1-1 draw at home by City. Aaron Brown and Matthew Hill progressed from the Youths into the first team, attendance’s never dropped below 11,000 and many managers stated they wished they could have the support at home that Bristol City had at away games. After the game that saw City relegated at Sheffield United, several thousand fans stayed to salute their heroes and their efforts. It was suggested the reason for the great atmosphere at Ashton Gate was due to “fair weather” fans staying away and only the true fans still attending.

7 hours ago, 22A said:

City spent more in the summer of 1998 than ever before. 7,500 season tickets had been sold, a third of the ground’ s capacity. Forwards Ade Akinbiyi came from Gillingham for £1.2 million, Tony Thorpe from Fulham for £1 million and Danish International Soren Anderson was secured for £700,000

While I liked all 3 strikers we really did miss a trick, should have spent some of that money on a decent CB. 

8 hours ago, 22A said:

City spent more in the summer of 1998 than ever before. 7,500 season tickets had been sold, a third of the ground’ s capacity. Forwards Ade Akinbiyi came from Gillingham for £1.2 million, Tony Thorpe from Fulham for £1 million and Danish International Soren Anderson was secured for £700,000. Other International players to arrive were midfielders Moldavian Ivan Tistimetanu and Hungarian Vilmos Sebok. This proved to be a dubious advantage later in the season. One night as defender Brennan played for Canada and Sebok scored a hat trick for his country, City were losing a vital game against fellow strugglers.  It was to be a season where they scored in nearly every game, but with Sean Taylor missing through injury and other stalwarts absent every few weeks, the defence was just not strong enough. Watford visited in August and won 4-1, in late Autumn City lost consecutive matches 5-0 and 6-1. The first win had not occurred until late September, 5-2 against fellow strugglers Crewe. In four consecutive games City had been winning, but conceded an equaliser in the last minute. After 16 matches, Benny Lennartson was brought in as a specific defence coach. John Ward felt this undermined his position, so he departed leaving Lennartson in charge. He had the worst start of any manager in the club’s history, just two wins in the first 22 games. Keith Welch was replaced in goal by Phillips, a local lad. Bo Anderson had been signed but Phillips kept him out for two months. Welch was released at the end of the season. Dyche, Torpey, Crambe and Thorpe all finished the season on loan to other clubs. The first three because they had not regained their places following long injuries, Thorpe because he was a disappointment. Hope had emerged at Easter when three consecutive victories were recorded, but then they slipped up as the others around them achieved shock results. City finished bottom of the division.

There had been bright moments though; Akinbiyi scored 23 goals, Sunderland had been running away with the division, but were held to a 1-1 draw at home by City. Aaron Brown and Matthew Hill progressed from the Youths into the first team, attendance’s never dropped below 11,000 and many managers stated they wished they could have the support at home that Bristol City had at away games. After the game that saw City relegated at Sheffield United, several thousand fans stayed to salute their heroes and their efforts. It was suggested the reason for the great atmosphere at Ashton Gate was due to “fair weather” fans staying away and only the true fans still attending.

great post @22A Looking through the names you've checked off there, it really reminds me that we didn't have a bad side at all. Frankly, there's a few there I wouldn't mind having now. 

I need to give the head a wobble to get rid of the cobwebs, but for me the specific games that stood out:

Crewe at home - Goal bonanza (IRC we loved playing Crewe in the 90s, some big scoring matches)

Wolves - the three pigs! 

Birmingham away - only for the reason I'd been on an all-nighter in Birmingham and was hallucinating wildly in their home end :/ you're only young once, etc. 

West Brom away - the half-time kerfuffle and the heart wrenching equalizer 8 minutes into time added on. Massive following, proper chaos during and after.  

Pompey away - last minute winner, bank holiday. fences at the back going in at full time. genuinely thinking we were going to stay up. 

Grimsby (I might be wrong on this) - Torpey, who I loathed with a passion, scoring from a looping punt from about 35 yards?? 

Birmingham home - baking hot day, must win. Referee didn't give us anything. All hope lost. 

Honestly, despite the relegation, I really enjoyed following city that season - some great players we had who for, whatever reason, just didn't click in the end. I've always thought Benny would have come good, and it's a shame we didn't give him more time - I think, by the sounds of it, he was the right man at the wrong time. 

Some brilliant memories in this thread. This was my first season as a City fan, and although it was a disappointing one, I was hooked from day 1. Absolutely loved the atmosphere and felt part of the family. Some brilliant players in that team who were a joy to watch.

Very memorable season - much more so than the other relegation seasons I've experienced. Not always enjoyable but lots of memories. I used to go to a lot of away games back then.

The games at West Brom (lots of crowd trouble) and Portsmouth have already been mentioned. There was also a game at QPR early on when we conceded a late equaliser. I think Hewlett got our goal that day.

I also remember some terrible performances when we were outplayed. We had a real mixed bag of a team - excellent players (Bell, Murray, Tinman, Akinbyi, Locke, Andersen etc) interspersed with some awful ones (e.g. Hutchings,  Watts). Shaun Taylor was a big loss and we were weak at the back and in midfield.

There was quite a debate at the time and afterwards about whether we had started to turn the corner with the win in Ward's last game v Bolton, but to me he had been really struggling and I think I remember him being reported as saying he was running out of ideas. Little did we know, though, that the joys of the Pulis era were just around the corner.

It's good to see that Sunderland footage again. What a goal from Soren (nice play by Bell to set him up). It was a work night so I didn't travel up - watched the game in the White Hart in Brislington instead. Had a few too many so probably was no more effective at work the next day than if I had gone straight in after travelling back from up north.

14 minutes ago, Offside said:

There was quite a debate at the time and afterwards about whether we had started to turn the corner with the win in Ward's last game v Bolton, but to me he had been really struggling and I think I remember him being reported as saying he was running out of ideas.

Yep , sure he said in the paper or an interview something along the line of, I don't know what to try next. Form then on he was a dead man walking.

Little did we know, though, that the joys of the Pulis era were just around the corner.

My stand out memory from that season, going to Bradford followed by the home game Vs Wolves , you kind of think it can't get any worse , then ........ Pulis !

Remember it very well.

We had a supplier who had a box at the Stadium of Light (they had a box at St James' Park as well, incredibly !) ; so I watched the match from a guest balcony. Went to the game full of trepidation, expecting a real hammering.

Got some serious abuse from the Sunderland fans below us, as my colleague and I jumped around after Anderson's equaliser. :laughcont:

17 hours ago, 22A said:

Really enjoyed reading this, thanks. My first season as a season-ticket holder!

Sadly a real coming of age season for me. One of my most committed as an away follower and saw many things that were probably in their death throws as a fan following football in the 80s/90s. 

Still loved it all and forged friendships that last toll today because of it.

I knew it would be one of those seasons from the moment QPR equalised at lotus road.

The mayhem at the Hawthorns and the final result along with Akinbyi missing yet another glorious chance at st andrews on a sunday morning, compounded this feeling.

All tied up in a neat little bow at Gresty Road in a dour relegation decider effectively. City fans were far more alert to the final whistle and en masse invaded the pitch in defiance of our plight and console a city team who really should have achieved far more. 

I even made the back of the western daily next morning, consoling Aaron Brown.

Some blinding away days that year.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Sadly a real coming of age season for me. One of my most committed as an away follower and saw many things that were probably in their death throws as a fan following football in the 80s/90s. 

Still loved it all and forged friendships that last toll today because of it.

I knew it would be one of those seasons from the moment QPR equalised at lotus road.

The mayhem at the Hawthorns and the final result along with Akinbyi missing yet another glorious chance at st andrews on a sunday morning, compounded this feeling.

All tied up in a neat little bow at Gresty Road in a dour relegation decider effectively. City fans were far more alert to the final whistle and en masse invaded the pitch in defiance of our plight and console a city team who really should have achieved far more. 

I even made the back of the western daily next morning, consoling Aaron Brown.

Some blinding away days that year.

Man I just realised I was at all those games including Sunderland, I was only 18 then. Time doesn't half fly.

4 hours ago, collier said:

Man I just realised I was at all those games including Sunderland, I was only 18 then. Time doesn't half fly.

:laugh:, I probably know you!

Did you travel to Crewe in the back of a white van????

25 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

What a game. Keith Welch was pretty good that night. Never thought we would go down that season after watching that battling performance. Little did we know that Benny and his cap were around the corner!!

Given Benny the time, had he stayed, despite relegation, where would he of led us? Would he of gone back up first time?

40 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Given Benny the time, had he stayed, despite relegation, where would he of led us? Would he of gone back up first time?

He developed a lot of good young players. The Pulis nightmare followed. We must be the only club at that level where TP failed. 

8 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

He developed a lot of good young players. The Pulis nightmare followed. We must be the only club at that level where TP failed. 

the Pulis reign was horrific. Him and Osman have to be in the hall of infamy as among the worst managers city's ever had. 

I would have loved to have seen Benny given another season, I think he did have us playing some genuine good football. You could see what he was trying to do, but i get the idea that many behind the scenes weren't helping him in quite the way he needed. Looking in from the outside, it always seemed that there were a few people who pursued an agenda against him. Any insider insight would be greatly appreciated! 

16 hours ago, tinman85 said:

I think when Burnside passed on Benny should’ve been given his position, I also think Benny was far too ahead of our game back then

Archived