IGNORED

If we don't beat Ipswich.......

Top Robin

.....I fear that is our playoff hopes gone.

Firstly, with only a handful of games to go it keeps us well adrift of the play offs with certain teams above us and just below us really hitting form whilst we are playing poorly.

Secondly,  we will not go up, and don't deserve to go up, not being unable to beat the poorer or average teams in the Championship such as Ipswich and before dreadful results v Burton, Bolton and Sunderland.

Some folks will be pleased we are just 'safe' and it would all be 'too soon' but personally I am really ragged off that we were so close and playing so well and for a number of reasons we have cocked up.

Manager inexperience is a major factor in my opinion. 

I think injuries mainly- key and squad players out medium-long term.

Second comes luck and game management.

Depth? I think we've made some errors in the market, but our depth is not too bad overall- it is just hard when you have your record signing and first reserve striker, your main RB and people like this out for a prolonged period. Plus players who can come on in short bursts, e.g. Hegeler or O'Neil to help close or slow tempo of game.

"don't deserve to go up"

If we get in the play offs and go up then yes, we will deserve to go up.

I think there is a 25% chance of us reaching the play offs this season, and it is doable but must beat the tractor boys Saturday but after that awful performance last night I think it could well be a draw.

I don't think anyone is only happy about this season, it's tinged with disappointment where we have slipped post Christmas, but if you look at what we have achieved over the season it is positive.

But I do agree that play offs are looking unlikely, especially if we don't win against the likes of Ipswich at home.

While some of that is undoubtedly because of inexperience from Johnson, what do you expect? He's human, he won't get every decision right and if he was, he wouldn't be with us anyway. The business plan involves Johnson learning and developing (as a coach and manager) as well as the group he's leading. Hopefully the group and LJ hit their stride in the division at the right time which is likely a season or two away yet. Here's hoping!

It’s impoosible to say “IF we don’t win this game or that game”

It all depends on results in other games. 

We could lose to Ipswich, but remain just 3? Points off the play offs. 

We certainly need to start winning games again and the games against Boro, Millwall, Brentford & Sheffield are currently games that we can’t really afford to lose. 

There are still 27 points to play for, so nothing’s going to be decided just yet. 

36 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

I don't think anyone is only happy about this season, it's tinged with disappointment where we have slipped post Christmas, but if you look at what we have achieved over the season it is positive.

But I do agree that play offs are looking unlikely, especially if we don't win against the likes of Ipswich at home.

While some of that is undoubtedly because of inexperience from Johnson, what do you expect? He's human, he won't get every decision right and if he was, he wouldn't be with us anyway. The business plan involves Johnson learning and developing (as a coach and manager) as well as the group he's leading. Hopefully the group and LJ hit their stride in the division at the right time which is likely a season or two away yet. Here's hoping!

I agree that we can feel reasonably optimistic about the future, it's been a pretty enjoyable season even if we don't make the play-offs. However, I'm not comfortable with the idea of LJ's inexperience. He clocks up 5 years as a manager/ head coach this weekend. Yes, he's young but 5 years in the same type of work, given he's been in football all his working life, is a fair bit of experience. Still gaining experience maybe, as anyone does over the years in any job.

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Firstly, with only a handful of games to go it keeps us well adrift of the play offs with certain teams above us and just below us really hitting form whilst we are playing poorly.

Secondly,  we will not go up, and don't deserve to go up, not being unable to beat the poorer or average teams in the Championship such as Ipswich and before dreadful results v Burton, Bolton and Sunderland.

Some folks will be pleased we are just 'safe' and it would all be 'too soon' but personally I am really ragged off that we were so close and playing so well and for a number of reasons we have cocked up.

Somebody posted a similar ‘if we don’t win the next game’ comment before the Burton game.....before the Preston game.....before the Wednesday game.  It’s not over until it’s over, we win Saturday and Boro loose it’s game on again, we lose and boro lose it’s no change, it will go to at least the 2nd to last game I think.  Granted we need to pick up some wins but there are many variables

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Another who simply doesn't get it..............:facepalm:

It's a ""work in progress"

Regardless of where City finish this season it will still have been a very impressive and successful one.

Semi - final of the EFL cup, beating PL clubs long the way and losing twice to injury time winners against a team who won it and are pissing the Premier League by a distance.

A far better league position playing some great stuff and who are a joy to watch. LJ is developing our own identify but like a good things it doesn't happen overnight.

Stop whinging and complaining about what has been our best season for ages.

A lot of comments placing blame on LJ, but shouldn't the players shoulder some of the responsibility for some of the questionable team and inividual performances on the pitch during the 90 minutes? 

Promotion/strong teams are based on everyone pulling in the same direction and giving 100% so surely blame or reasons for this current form sits with all.

2 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

A lot of comments placing blame on LJ, but shouldn't the players shoulder some of the responsibility for some of the questionable team and inividual performances on the pitch during the 90 minutes? 

Absolutely everything is LJs fault. From Wenger becoming less successful at Arsenal, to the assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and the resulting World War.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think injuries mainly- key and squad players out medium-long term.

Second comes luck and game management.

Depth? I think we've made some errors in the market, but our depth is not too bad overall- it is just hard when you have your record signing and first reserve striker, your main RB and people like this out for a prolonged period. Plus players who can come on in short bursts, e.g. Hegeler or O'Neil to help close or slow tempo of game.

Everyone makes mistakes in the market. I think ours is magnified because we had such a small squad when LJ first took over. I know some use this as a stick to beat LJ with(he has had money) but I think it was mostly neccesity. 

Think depth wise we were still pretty ok but LJ’s lack of faith in some players was our downfall. He should have been making a few changes to that core XI that gave us the cup run. From October to January a very steady team and I am sure that was why we succeeded but it wore players down and we still had a few around to help. Vyner and Kelly could have played against lower teams spelling Bryan, Baker and Wright. Eliasson and Woodrow(yes Woodrow, could do a job if played in the right position) could have spelled Reid, Paterson and Brownhill. I’d argue with a few more minutes we may have seen different sides to them and they could have added to the squad. As it is, we don’t really know if they could help us.

So yea I don’t think he has utilised the tools he has at his disposal. Also talked about this with how he sets up tactically against the teams that sit behind the ball. We have different options that he has refused to use. Example Eliasson stays wide and has a lovely whipped cross on him who I think could create a chance or two against a team like Burton. Instead LJ keeps the same team who have won their plaudets playing the ball on the floor through the middle and pressing. 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We don't support either club so what's your point?

My point is they will both finish above us after just coming up. Impressive when you think of the money a team like Millwall haven’t spent. We’re on a bit of a nosedive and I’m not looking forward to the result when we play Millwall. I can honestly see us getting turned right over up there. 

3 hours ago, RidgeRed said:

I agree that we can feel reasonably optimistic about the future, it's been a pretty enjoyable season even if we don't make the play-offs. However, I'm not comfortable with the idea of LJ's inexperience. He clocks up 5 years as a manager/ head coach this weekend. Yes, he's young but 5 years in the same type of work, given he's been in football all his working life, is a fair bit of experience. Still gaining experience maybe, as anyone does over the years in any job.

Agree to a certain extent and if/when mistakes have/are made again that's an issue, but with how quickly the game evolves 20 years in management can still not be enough experience to get it all right. It was only last night on BT Sport Mourinho's tactics were questioned on whether they are now outdated. 

8 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

But more impressive than Sunderland, Burton, Brum, Barnsley, Bolton, Reading, Sheff Weds, Hull, Forest, QPR, Norwich, Leeds, Ipswich, Brentford..... etc

What's your point here?

We got Hull at home soon. Fancy our chances do you?

Archived