IGNORED

Mangotsfield FC

Redcliffe1990

9 minutes ago, Redcliffe1990 said:

I know they had an issue a few years back and were prohibited from displaying 'politically motivated banners' and the use of flares.

Is this still the case? What's it like down there? IVF innit. Or is it all calm there now?

Very calm. As far as I'm aware the IVF haven't been active there for ages. 

30 minutes ago, Redcliffe1990 said:

I know they had an issue a few years back and were prohibited from displaying 'politically motivated banners' and the use of flares.

Is this still the case? What's it like down there? IVF innit. Or is it all calm there now?

One of the central figures in those shenanigans was ticked off at Ashton Gate when City played Mangotsfield Utd in a Glos Cup game a few years ago. Bolasie was playing for City and his distribution was dire. His corners too were dreadful. The chap in question shouted out a couple of times, 'Give it to Bolasie,' and on one occasion when Mangotsfield sent in a good corner he shouted out, 'That's how to take a corner, Bolasie'.

City fans as well as Mangotsfield supporters, and some in both camps like myself, were laughing. However, at halftime he was approached by a group of stewards and told, in no uncertain terms, to cut it out or he would be ejected!

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

City fans as well as Mangotsfield supporters, and some in both camps like myself, were laughing. However, at halftime he was approached by a group of stewards and told, in no uncertain terms, to cut it out or he would be ejected!

On what grounds? No obscenities, no racial or homophobic abuse, just making fun of a player having a bad day.

Something that happens at every club at all levels of the game.

14 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

5 or 6 times. The club house has more rovers shirts than city, the local pubs have Rovers stickers and ticket stubs from games etc. 

They probably like using their comparatively state of the art facilities.

I genuinely thought the Inter Village Firm was a joke made up at the school. 

Have to say around that way whilst it's mainly gas there's still a decent amount of city fans. As for the red lion, quite a few wolves fans who live in Bristol drink there. Probabaly explains the Wolves sticker that's stuck up on the chimney.

I have lived in Emersons Green since 98 (behind Vinny Green), but only just (five minute walk from the lamb/sally/red lion and ten minutes or so to the Bridge in Shortwood). I have never had any issue in any of the pubs in the area. To be fair I know more City fans that go to the Lamb than gash heads. I also frequently drink in the Lion and comfortably go in there with out any issue (I was in there with a city scarf on the Friday we had snow with my daughter and wife). I'm well known as being a city fan in my area and never really had anything other than a bit of friendly banter. I guess its only a problem if you go out and look for it and a huge misconception that everyone from North Bristol is Rovers, which could not be further from the truth.

7 hours ago, silvershelf said:

I have lived in Emersons Green since 98 (behind Vinny Green), but only just (five minute walk from the lamb/sally/red lion and ten minutes or so to the Bridge in Shortwood). I have never had any issue in any of the pubs in the area. To be fair I know more City fans that go to the Lamb than gash heads. I also frequently drink in the Lion and comfortably go in there with out any issue (I was in there with a city scarf on the Friday we had snow with my daughter and wife). I'm well known as being a city fan in my area and never really had anything other than a bit of friendly banter. I guess its only a problem if you go out and look for it and a huge misconception that everyone from North Bristol is Rovers, which could not be further from the truth.

Same mate been in Emerson’s green for 8 years now, when city ain’t playing I often go to watch the mangoes and not had any issues.

dont really go to the pubs much but when I have there has never been any issue. 

As a tip and if you like your rugger, I go to watch Cleve frequently which is a good afternoon watching a very decent level of rugby. 5 quid entry and thatchers £3.20 a pint

11 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

5 or 6 times. The club house has more rovers shirts than city, the local pubs have Rovers stickers and ticket stubs from games etc. 

There are only 3 pubs in Mangotsfield now (Red Lion, The Lamb, and I guess The Bridge), can’t remember seeing anything in the pubs, The Lamb is a food pub really, red lion is tiny and not enough space to put anything up, and The Bridge is a cider pub with little interest in football.  I’ve lived here all my life and have been in all three pubs many times (as well as the Sally now closed).

Granted the area is probably slightly more of a Rovers area but it’s certainly not evident nor is it some kind of cauldron of hatred towards City

I go 2 or 3 times a season it's a friendly club, a proper non-league club. 

Its neither City nor Rovers (there's memorabilia from a number of professional clubs...including Swindon from memory...!

Mangotsfield in general has always been an even split and many many loyal City reside from these parts and the surrounding areas.

14 hours ago, 22A said:

On what grounds? No obscenities, no racial or homophobic abuse, just making fun of a player having a bad day.

Something that happens at every club at all levels of the game.

I can only think it was because Bolasie was the only one he was targeting but that was because Bolasie was absolutely dire that night. Maybe the stewards conceived this as racism or bordering upon it even though nothing remotely racist was shouted. I expect had Bolasie been white and been having a stinker and been getting dog's abuse nothing would've been said. So in a way the stewards were the ones being racist!

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I can only think it was because Bolasie was the only one he was targeting but that was because Bolasie was absolutely dire that night. Maybe the stewards conceived this as racism or bordering upon it even though nothing remotely racist was shouted. I expect had Bolasie been white and been having a stinker and been getting dog's abuse nothing would've been said. So in a way the stewards were the ones being racist!

My mate played in Goal for Mangotsfield that night, think it was 1-1 after 90 mins, I found the programme recently, pretty sure Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid were playing

20 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

My mate played in Goal for Mangotsfield that night, think it was 1-1 after 90 mins, I found the programme recently, pretty sure Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid were playing

Yes, City won in extra time. Gerkin was in goal for City and with Nicky Hunt and Ryan Taylor also playing Bolasie had to go some to be the worst player on the pitch that night.

Archived