IGNORED

Statement from Jon Lansdown + SC&T reply

RedM

3 hours ago, RedM said:

STATEMENT ON SEASON CARDS 2018/19

THURSDAY, MARCH 15TH 2018

Statement from Jon Lansdown, chairman of Bristol Sport and vice-chairman of Bristol City FC.

Following on from the joint Supporters Club & Trust/FAN meeting last Wednesday, we agreed to take away and review three key items; the renewal deadline, disabled pricing and the new loyalty scheme. We have now had a chance to digest and debate the key points raised from the interaction that we have had with fans, which has prompted robust internal debate and consideration.

Whilst it is correct that pricing and long-term strategy has to be led by Bristol City FC and Bristol Sport together, it would be wrong for us to not listen and consider other options when presented with the strength of feeling that has been evident. I would hope that this is recognised as a strong signal from us that we do value supporters’ views. 

The strategy behind the pricing structure for the 2018/19 campaign was in recognition that we are one of the lower priced clubs in the Sky Bet Championship, with a brand new rebuilt stadium and facilities better than many in the Premier League. The 2018/19 prices still place us as one of the best value clubs in the division. 

We accept the price rises have meant that some fans have raised concerns over being priced out of traditional seats and the deadline for purchase. Prices have been largely frozen for the past few years, while the £50 Under-12 season card – with a free replica shirt – has helped grow our younger fanbase. 

We also appreciate that many of you sat in specific locations with family or friends in the old Ashton Gate and this has very much been part of the matchday enjoyment. We want Ashton Gate to be welcoming to families and to encourage the younger generation of supporters. That is the thinking behind us investing in a new Family Area in the upper Lansdown Stand, where kids have lots of fun before, during and after the game in the specially adapted concourse, whilst enjoying some of the best views on offer. We want to encourage families to use this dedicated space and that is why we have set the pricing to attract parents and children up here.

We have invested nearly £50m in the rebuild project and it has resulted in the city finally having a stadium it can be proud of. The rebuild has also provided the local area with a huge economic boost, with more than 1,000 local people securing work at the stadium on matchdays. It has been a spark for economic regeneration in an area of the city which has traditionally been overlooked. 

With reference to the expressed desire for an extension to the renewal deadline, we accept it would be beneficial for all supporters to have at least one pay day within the season card renewal window so we have agreed to extend it until midday on Thursday, March 29th. 

There is also the Pay Monthly* scheme – which remains available throughout the advanced sales period, with the first payment not due until May 1st, followed by nine further monthly payments. 

Subsequently, the special seat move window will run exclusively on the phone lines from midday until 8pm on March 29th. Members will then get the chance to purchase, before general sale begins at 10am on Wednesday, April 4th. The advanced sales period will still end on April 13th.

On the subject of disabled pricing, I want to take this opportunity to explain the rationale behind the changes we have made. The majority of Championship clubs have moved to offer disabled supporters pricing in line with the age categories for all supporters, in-keeping with guidelines set out by Level Playing Field. This is something Bristol City FC already offered for matchday tickets and now we have applied the same pricing structure for season cards. 

We acknowledge that for some disabled supporters this has caused great difficulty.  We should have considered this more fully and communicated it better. With this in mind we have now agreed to phase in the pricing over the next three seasons.

For the 2018/19 season disabled (adult) fans will be able to purchase a season card with a 15 per cent discount off the Advanced full adult price. Any disabled adult who has already purchased/renewed will be contacted by Supporter Services for a 15 per cent refund. 

For the 2019/20 season adult disabled supporters will be entitled to a ten per cent discount on the equivalent adult price and for the 2020/21 campaign a five per cent discount will apply. The following year will see disabled pricing brought in line with full adults and current matchday pricing. 

I would like to underline that Supporter Services will continue to work with every individual disabled supporter to meet their specific needs and ensure that they enjoy the best matchday experience possible. Following the significant investment, Ashton Gate has some of the best disabled supporter facilities in the country. We will strive to continually improve these, as well as working hard in the community to support disability programmes and promote sporting inclusion for all.

Finally, with regards to the introduction of our new loyalty scheme we will be announcing full details over the summer, ahead of the 2018/19 campaign. However, I think it’s important to clarify now that season card holders will be entitled to a ten per cent discount on all food and beverages purchased in the concourse, coffee shop and hospitality areas, alongside earning loyalty in other areas, including the Store at Ashton Gate. 

You will also still benefit from £5 off for CATS travel in 2018/19, away and cup ticket priority, two £10 guest tickets, free entry to Under-23 matches and a free ticket for selected Bristol Rugby fixtures.

Thanks to all of our supporters who have already renewed their seat for the 2018/19 campaign and I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, where we can cheer on the team against Ipswich Town. Your support will play a huge part over the remaining nine regular season games, so enjoy them and let’s see where they can take us together.

Jon Lansdown

* £25 fee applies (max of four season cards per Pay Monthly application)

Jon Lansdown is being disingenuous there. Level playing field advise a staggered approach if concessionary pricing is being withdrawn.  Level playing field clearly do not advocate a way of being inclusive is by pushing prices up radically to a point of causing disabled fans great difficulty now and in future.

What they do state is that the club can positively discriminate via pricing backed by the equality act - That is how to promote inclusion Jon.

15 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Well it would appear the club was trying to delay the announcement until Friday so there would not be time to mobilise a protest. If that's what they don't want, that's what they should get. What form it should take, you won't get agreement from all. 

The most important thing I think is to sing about it for 90 minutes though. Keep singing about the subject even if we score a goal.  

Total cock-up from the club, but I totally disagree with your last two sentences. The team need all our support through the 90 mins. Protesting against the club during the match - what have the players done to deserve that? Before or after the match is another matter!

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

What about something like handing Children outside the family area a small placard saying 'I'm not welcome here next year'. They'll need no encouragement to hold it aloft, and the image could be quite strong. 

Then social media the hell out of pictures. I quite like that. In addition to something larger, that could be the thing that gets the internets attention.

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

I still am speechless that the club didn’t involve either of the fan groups, that needs addressing, ie no decision like this can be made wi though at least consulting our representatives.

How about this - the club didn't involve fan groups for the initial release, and messed up, so they come up with an 'appeasement' and guess what, they STILL didn't run it by either group for views. 

They didn't learn the lesson first time round and ignored the advice that they should consult the second time around. 

I don't think the club has any desire to address the issue. 

1 minute ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Total cock-up from the club, but I totally disagree with your last two sentences. The team need all our support through the 90 mins. Protesting against the club during the match - what have the players done to deserve that? Before or after the match is another matter!

Because that's when people are in the ground. That's when the cameras are about. Can't have a protest when most people are on their way or on their way out. 

4 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Why not?

they want a empty stadium then they can play closed games.

get a huge fine like they done to the fans.

why not get a points deduction either that sort them out 

And those fans will get a life ban plus get done by the Police. A walkout is much better IMO.

5 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Yeah I get that Hellfire. But also this is the club's second bite at the cherry no less. It needs to be designed to cause the maximum possibility of a climb down, unfortunately the time the club is most in the spotlight is during those 90m. 

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

So they can sell the lower section seats at a much higher price for pay on the day/non season ticket holders. 

This simply doesn’t stack up, because supply already exceeds demand in this area. The Lansdown is always the last to sell out and has only done so for two exceptionally rare high profile cup games, and the Birmingham game when tickets were £15. In other words, there is not a queue of people who want to buy a high value ticket who aren’t getting one.

And if they want to retain higher value tickets for POTD, why is the family area in the upper Lansdown, also one of the most expensive areas in the ground?

I simply don’t understand the obsession with getting families into the family area, and it’s certainly not worth the PR disaster.

8 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Players be gone soon

there paid enough money as well 

39 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I find this club staggering at times. Time and time again they get the most simplest of things wrong. 

I said it the other day, they are playing a dangerous game with the fans here. Next season we will need to be top 6 from the go, and competing up there all season...to even come close to the attendances we have been used to this season. 

How can they get something so wrong? Its proves their utter contempt towards fans...one half decent season and they shaft everyone

Roll on next season, where our attendances will drop faster then our league position this season

Im sure the owners or their people will read this forum....so read this

"25 years a season ticket...you wont see me renewing for a 26th"

This for me. Im not renewing either, **** em.

Stop moaning and pay the money .lansdown is are saviour maybe you moaners should give the man some respect for what he has done for are club! Stop moaning on forums over a few quid .pay the money or go watch some park football .never happy you lot .go work a few more hours and that will make up the diffrence.like a load of old women 

44 minutes ago, Blagdon Mike said:

Hello all

TIME IS SHORT!

FOLLOWING THE CLUB STATEMENT, CAN WE HAVE YOUR COMMENTS ON WHAT TO DO, IF ANYTHING, NOW PLEASE?

'The Club' has addressed some issues - the ones they say they went away from the meeting with - IS IT ENOUGH?

The only things we can do immediately are (a) issue a further STATEMENT and (b) consider some form of PROTEST.

I am deliberately not making any comment - we want to hear from YOU.

If you support either or both the above - please let us know EXACTLY what you support.

THANKS!

@Blagdon Mike - I believe that the Lansdowns see themselves as the folk running the club, they consider it their business. They own it after all. And they see City supporters as colourful and very useful caretakers of the club's history and tradition...something in which they, as relative newcomers to the scene, have a limited interest. I've heard SL say as much in the past, and not in a disrespectful way...that's the divide. We have an owner, and he owns the place whether we like it or not, and makes the decisions he wants to make.

I'm not sure anything supporters do will change the decisions made. And so the important thing is to retain the dignity of the supporter groups. The Lansdowns might not think they need to listen to the supporter voice right now, but the day will come when history and tradition are valued again...probably when we're next relegated and the corporates have walked away! Whatever happens make it dignified. A media campaign which registers dissatisfaction might be preferable to a hard to co-ordinate protest. 

10 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Stop moaning and pay the money .lansdown is are saviour maybe you moaners should give the man some respect for what he has done for are club! Stop moaning on forums over a few quid .pay the money or go watch some park football .never happy you lot .go work a few more hours and that will make up the diffrence.like a load of old women 

:gasmask: I SMELL GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

Unless you're joking of course

21 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Not even gonna assume you're on a wind up here, you dodgy****.

Lansdown building a massive new stand doesn't make him or the club immune to criticism.

It’s funny isn’t it, you’d think the place would be buzzing with the season we have had. However I got to say, I’ve never felt so detached from the club in my short time of supporting City. Started following from the 01/02 season and it’s never felt so corporate like this before. This isn’t a football club, it’s purely a business now and that’s exactly how it feels.

The comment JL made about the investment in this redevelopment is pretty ignorant and unnecessary. We’re all still paying customers and have done so for many years, there’s no need to patronise us.

The saddest thing for me is that I've always been highly supporting of the Lansdowns and even the Bristol Sport project, and yet over the course of one off season, they've managed to completely change my perspective and shatter my confidence in them.

Financially I am secure and the cost of a ST isn't a deciding factor, but I don't think I'm going to buy one now next season out of principle. Sad state of affairs and once again, a dreadful response to sincere and vindicated concerns from the fans.

On a less important note - they are also now reducing the window for Season Ticket seat moves.

Previously, we had 2 full days online and on the phones.

This has now shrunk to 8 hours on the phone only before being open to Members!

So, I imagine the phone lines will be red hot as people who want to renew and move to cheaper seats. And yet they only have 8 hours to do this before opening it to Members.

Why they don't make the seat move window longer and push Members and Non-members back further.

Why should loyal Season Ticket holders suffer again in this way?

Protests in the ground will prove worthless i'm afraid. The only way to make that**** Jon Lansdown and his BS cronies pay attention is by hitting the club in the pocket, hopefully short term. Therefore if you are potd don't go. if you are SC then you can afford to miss one match, and the empty seats will get media attention if enough stay away. If you have bought a ticket or dont want to miss a game do NOT buy anything from BS whilst in the ground.

I will try to spend £30 on natch in Bemmy instead. Wish me luck....

I assume some number-cruncher has worked through the £££ of the new pricing strategy. Can’t see that they will achieve an overall increase in full price season ticket sales compared to this season, a few may upgrade to newly available better seats but that will more than likely be balanced by people going for cheaper seats, so the £££ equation must be based on increased ‘pay of the dayers’.

A forecast increase in ‘pay on the dayers’ can only be based on mounting a serious top-2 promotion challenging season, otherwise it simply can’t add up.

So, to answer LJs (and many supporters) New Year question ‘ if not now,  when?’. The answer is 2018/19.

Europe here we come!

Got to say though, the roll out of this new pricing strategy has been lamentable and the Club’s heirarchy would do well to stop digging an even deeper hole. Surely, someone, somewhere could have looked at that statement before it was released. Talk about fanning the flames! 

56 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Where. Oh where, has my beloved  Ciy gone  ?

Lost to corporate Bristol Sport  , that’s where 

Times they have a-changed and not always for the better

youd find something to moan about if we done the quadruple in one season ...........

Archived