IGNORED

Mark Hughes

Paul Cheesey

In fairness in along side some his failures (qpr etc) he has a decent-ish record of taking average clubs to top half finishes. 

He got blackburn into Europe, finished top ten with fulham and took Stoke to their highest ever finish. 

I imagine he must have a win rate of around 40% which when you consider the teams hes managed isn't that bad.

Problem with him is after a couple of seasons doing well it normally turns sour pretty quickly. 

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

In fairness in along side some his failures (qpr etc) he has a decent-ish record of taking average clubs to top half finishes. 

He got blackburn into Europe, finished top ten with fulham and took Stoke to their highest ever finish. 

I imagine he must have a win rate of around 40% which when you consider the teams hes managed isn't that bad.

Problem with him is after a couple of seasons doing well it normally turns sour pretty quickly. 

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/mark-hughes/

Average of just under 36%

Not sure if his Manchester City time was just before or just after they got the oil money.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/mark-hughes/

Average of just under 36%

Not sure if his Manchester City time was just before or just after they got the oil money.

Not quite as good as i assumed then!

I think he might of been manager of manchester City when the oil money arrived... But only just. Possibly even appointed a month or so before.

Saw this a couple of days ago: 

Turns out that apart from the current top seven in the Premier League, every manager had been sacked apart from Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and the three promoted bosses (Wagner, Benitez and Hughton).

Amongst those then asked to replace them: Allardyce, Hodgson, Moyes, Pardew and now Hughes.

Those names might seem familiar…

Again earlier this week, the Telegraph picked up on an interesting set of stats, in anticipation of Mark Hughes getting the Southampton gig.

They identified 6 managers who keep on getting employed by the same 10 Premier League (past and present) clubs, with the half dozen bosses now having picked up 24 jobs at these 10 clubs in the past 10 years.

Blackburn: Allardyce, Hughes

Crystal Palace: Allardyce, Hodgson, Pardew, Pulis

Everton: Allardyce, Moyes

Fulham: Hodgson, Hughes

Newcastle United: Allardyce, Pardew

Southampton: Hughes, Pardew

Stoke: Hughes, Pulis

Sunderland: Allardyce, Moyes

West Brom: Hodgson, Pardew, Pulis

West Ham: Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew

As for the lucky recipients of the jobs at these 10 clubs, the current scores are:

6 Sam Allardyce

5 Alan Pardew

4 Mark Hughes

3 David Moyes, Tony Pulis, Roy Hodgson

Just look at that, Fat Sam with his nose in the trough at 6 of these clubs and Pardew only one behind.

37 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Not quite as good as i assumed then!

I think he might of been manager of manchester City when the oil money arrived... But only just. Possibly even appointed a month or so before.

Yeah, I'm a little fuzzy on when the lorry loads of cash turned up, was somewhere between 2007 and 2009 I think.

If his time was before the money then he did a pretty good job there, it's his awful run at QPR that really lets him down.

Otherwise it's a fairly average record for the Premier League, which with the clubs managed, isn't that bad.

4 hours ago, cider-manc said:

I think Hughes’ managerial record is not too shabby...as Blackburn boss he top them to a top 6 finish in the Premier League in his first season in charge and then to 10th and 7th .... alongside that he took Blackburn to two FA Cup Semi Finals and a League Cup Semi Final in three consecutive seasons...

Then at Man City he finished 10th in the Premier League....only one place worse than his predecessor Sven Goran Eriksson and Man City also beat Barcelona away under Hughes...

He then took Fulham to 8th place in the Premier League before jumping ship to go to QPR where it didn’t work out for him.

After that he took Stoke to three consecutive 9th place finishes in the Premier League and a 13th place finish whilst also reaching a League Cup Semi Final...

As I said, his record is not too bad in my opinion...

Pretty much a case of not wanting to gamble on someone who hasn't managed in the division given how long in the season is left. Serves them right for getting rid of Puel, he had a points per game average of just under 1.4 with them, enough to come out over 50 points. Don't think I'd want Southampton to come down though, will have a good enough squad to compete plus the parachute payments, Stoke coming down should be okay, they'll have to get rid of a big part of their squad. West Ham would be a mess if they came down. 

7 hours ago, hodge said:

Pretty much a case of not wanting to gamble on someone who hasn't managed in the division given how long in the season is left. Serves them right for getting rid of Puel, he had a points per game average of just under 1.4 with them, enough to come out over 50 points. Don't think I'd want Southampton to come down though, will have a good enough squad to compete plus the parachute payments, Stoke coming down should be okay, they'll have to get rid of a big part of their squad. West Ham would be a mess if they came down. 

West Brom, Stoke and West Ham for me to drop this year 

In my opinion Allardyce and Pulis will keep you up.....as for the others? Well probably the best of the bunch is Moyes. Apart from him I wouldn't employ any of the following:-

Mark Hughes 

Alan Pardew

Roy Hodgson 

Paul Lambert

Garry Monk

Steve McLaren

and heaven forbid Stuart Pearce....now there is a bloke who really can't manage! Great player, but my god what a self destruct button pusher he is as a manager?!!!!

The only reason that Southampton might stay up is because there is an array of equally abysmal managers in charge of other teams at the bottom and they can't all go down (shame).

Archived