IGNORED

Corner kicks.

22A

Why in recent years, do players place the ball as much out of the corner quadrant as possible when taking a corner kick? Do they think their kicks are so precise that a few extra inches will make all the difference in the delivery?

Law 17 is all about corner kicks. A defender may not get closer than 10 yards before the kick is taken and the kicker may not touch the ball again until someone else has.  An infringement by the defending or attacking team is to be punished by an Indirect Free kick being awarded against them.

Anyone ever seen that punishment meted out? In the fifty years I've been watching, can't say i have.

To me and i did this when i played, putting the ball beyond the line kindof made it sit up easier to strike because the white line kindof flattened the grass behind the ball. 

None of this law infuriates me more though than when a ref insists on taking a free kick in the precise place it needs to, in our own half, when clearly no advantage is gained from a few yards either way as you are just lumping it 70 yards!

:grr:

I'm more concerned about the corners we waste.  We rarely seem to achieve anything positive from set pieces. Don't they practise these in training?

Also short corners.  How often do these actually result in any advantage?

There are many ways to take corners, hard and low, to front post, to back post, inswinging, outswinging, on the penalty spot, to a player standing in the D to name but a few.  If we've had a couple of corners that haven't worked then why not try something different?

20 minutes ago, nickolas said:

To me and i did this when i played, putting the ball beyond the line kindof made it sit up easier to strike because the white line kindof flattened the grass behind the ball. 

None of this law infuriates me more though than when a ref insists on taking a free kick in the precise place it needs to, in our own half, when clearly no advantage is gained from a few yards either way as you are just lumping it 70 yards!

And then moments later will let a player run yards up the line whilst taking a throw in !

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I'm more concerned about the corners we waste.  We rarely seem to achieve anything positive from set pieces. Don't they practise these in training?

There are many ways to take corners, hard and low, to front post, to back post, inswinging, outswinging, on the penalty spot, to a player standing in the D to name but a few.  If we've had a couple of corners that haven't worked then why not try something different?

We used to do a lovely near post flick on which created havoc in the box . 

1 minute ago, Laner said:

And then moments later will let a player run yards up the line whilst taking a throw in !

Yeah. 

:disapointed2se:

boo ! 

And then when City are on a roll , stops the play because one of the opponents has broken a nail . 

When the lads look like scoring in time added  on the bloke blows up for full time yet when we are clinging on he lets play continue until the opposition score .

:badmood:

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

How many goals do you think City should score from corners? And how many do they score?

Article from a few years back. of 20,000 corners taken from european leagues. total 3.5% conversion rate. 

also interesting is the number of goals from counter attacks from cleared corners.

Without looking at our numbers i would estimate we are above average? 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/05/02/the-value-of-a-corner-kick-in-soccer/?utm_term=.a6b6871a6d13

My favourite corner happened at Burton last Saturday.

We'd just won a corner in ront of our fans, was finally something to cheer about and Paterson ran to take it whilst gesturing to us to crank it up a bit which we all duly obliged.

Only for him to to play it short to Pack, receive it back then pass it back to Pack in an offside position.

11 hours ago, Furious Custard said:

Article from a few years back. of 20,000 corners taken from european leagues. total 3.5% conversion rate. 

also interesting is the number of goals from counter attacks from cleared corners.

Without looking at our numbers i would estimate we are above average? 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/05/02/the-value-of-a-corner-kick-in-soccer/?utm_term=.a6b6871a6d13

It's been proved that the least productive thing you can do with a corner is to swing it in to the middle.  Far better to play a short corner routine, or to get a play going outside the box.

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It's been proved that the least productive thing you can do with a corner is to swing it in to the middle.  Far better to play a short corner routine, or to get a play going outside the box.

Or winning the second ball.

Sam Allardyce was the first to study where most often the second ball landed. And placed a man there. It resulted in more goals coming from that player receiving the ball, than from the corner direct.

14 hours ago, nickolas said:

This is what I have always done with corners also. Easy to whip a nice ball in when you can get underneath it via the flattened white line.

Isn't the rule that only a part of the ball has to be over the white line anyway? I see people kicking off about where a kicks being taken from and it always looks perfectly legal. Even seen referees ask players to move it back when it appears to be fine. 

On 15/03/2018 at 17:58, wendyredredrobin said:

I agree that a lot of are corners are not great Joe Bryan seems to loop the balls into the box, the better ones lately came from Ryan Kent who seems to whip them in quicker. 

On 15/03/2018 at 17:58, wendyredredrobin said:

In 20 years of season tickets I can't remember a time when we've been good at corners...

11 hours ago, McCarthy J.F. said:

I agree that a lot of are corners are not great Joe Bryan seems to loop the balls into the box, the better ones lately came from Ryan Kent who seems to whip them in quicker. 

If I recall correctly Eliasson has a good corner in him too?

2 hours ago, DOZZYBCFC said:

If I recall correctly Eliasson has a good corner in him too?

Shouldn't every bloody player on the pitch be able to hit a decent corner with either foot!  Or  am I asking to much of professionals that have probably been kicking footballs since they were two year olds,  spend hours training each week and are extremely well paid. And don't even start me on bringing a ball under control  and making a ten yard pass accurately.

Recently read a couple of books on football statistics and, almost unbelievably,  a team is more likely to score from a throw-in into the box than from a corner. Across all the English leagues, a team scores from a corner, on average, once every 9 1/2 games. Statistically, a team is just as likely to concede within 60 seconds of an attacking corner, than score.

The fact-checker in me was slightly dubious about this, so I have kept a close eye on City's performance this season and we absolutely follow this pattern. A combination of poor corners, Mags long throws and facing fast counter attacks means that a corner to City not only less effective than a long throw, but it is more likely to result in us conceding.

34 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Shouldn't every bloody player on the pitch be able to hit a decent corner with either foot!  Or  am I asking to much of professionals that have probably been kicking footballs since they were two year olds,  spend hours training each week and are extremely well paid. And don't even start me on bringing a ball under control  and making a ten yard pass accurately.

Ha I have always thought this. To be honest, a free kick just outside the area should at the very least be forcing a save. Rarely does. 

Archived