IGNORED

Lee Johnson's tactical overview of the Man U game

ZiderEyed

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

Excellent viewing.

You just gotta love LJ for taking the time to explain his tactical thinking. 

Cant remember ever seeing any other manager of any club do something similar.

Think S'OD used to do this....unfortunately unless it was written down almost everyone was asleep before they got to that part of the interview!

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

Excellent viewing.

You just gotta love LJ for taking the time to explain his tactical thinking. 

Cant remember ever seeing any other manager of any club do something similar.

I remember Steve Cotterill explaining in an interview after his first game (a televised cup game at Tamworth, I think) that he'd played Marvin Elliott just in front of the central defenders (Williams and Flint) because the defenders were inexperienced and would be tempted to rush out to head the first ball which risked them being out of position when the ball came back again. By putting Marvin in front to head the first ball the centre halves would stay put. I was very impressed to hear that, even if it may be something that every coach knows about.

I think part of the blame has to go on the questions that managers get asked in interviews. Controversial incidents are of more interest to the media than tactical minutiae so that's what they focus on.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

My question was put to Robbored who answered it reasonably and politely...not sure why you have jumped in...

You mean like how you jumped in on an exchange between me and another poster just a day or two ago?

Or like how you completely needlessly tagged me into an argument you were having on a thread I hadn't commented on a few days before that?

10 hours ago, 054123 said:

Good point. What ratio do we need for promotion and how do we achieve it next year?

His points per game over his entire tenure with us works out at 1.51.

That over a season is 71 points.

Over the last 5 seasons 71 points ends up 8th, 7th, 9th, 7th and 6th. 

So its not quite enough to be a playoff side, but isn't too far away.

For automatics the last 5 seasons have needed 93, 89, 89, 93 and 79 points. So we're some way off of that, other than that one low season 5 years ago where we'd have been 8 points away.

When we reached the playoffs under GJ we had 74 points and 79 was enough for automatic.

The average points for automatics over the 6 seasons I've looked at there is 87. That means managing 1.89 ppg.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

His points per game over his entire tenure with us works out at 1.51.

That over a season is 71 points.

Over the last 5 seasons 71 points ends up 8th, 7th, 9th, 7th and 6th. 

So its not quite enough to be a playoff side, but isn't too far away.

For automatics the last 5 seasons have needed 93, 89, 89, 93 and 79 points. So we're some way off of that, other than that one low season 5 years ago where we'd have been 8 points away.

When we reached the playoffs under GJ we had 74 points and 79 was enough for automatic.

How do you think we achieve that average point increase next year?

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

How do you think we achieve that average point increase next year?

Good question.

In essence theres nothing that would absolutely guarantee getting the required increase. But one thing that would certainly help is extra squad depth.

As noted on the thread about Steve Allens interview, the number of injuries we have had has been exeptionally high and this has certainly had an impact. I personally think that if we'd had the same injury record in 2014-15 then we wouldn't have gone up, or at least not automatically.

Our league record prior to the Wolves game was P24 W13 D8 L3 or 1.96 ppg, easily a good enough record for top 2 most years as it works out as a 90 point season.

So we need to work out the cause of the slump since then. It could be that the number of games with the cup run simply caught up with the players, then after a few bad results (Wolves- Norwich we lost 5 in a row in all competitions) this knocked the players confidence. It depends how mentally strong our players are as to whether that played much of a part.

We have also played a number of the teams above us in that time, Wolves, Cardiff, Villa, Fulham and Derby, with the 'easier' games (the likes of Burton and Sunderland) interspersed.

Looking at the fixtures left I think we will manage at least the 1.5 ppg average Johnson has had with us. Which would see us end on 71-72 so wouldnt write the playoffs off as gone yet, particularly with Sheff Utd as the final game.

But back to next season, greater squad depth, and perhaps just saying "forget the cups" and sending out a team similar to the one that faced Watford in the FA Cup.

It also depends on what bids come in for our players this summer. Flint, Bryan and Reid will all have some interest, if we can keep all three (I wouldn't rule it out) then there isn't a problem there, lose all three and we will need at least one replacement. We have a number of CBs already, so from a purely depth perspective Flint would be the least of a loss. Bryan as our LB, well there is Magnússon and Kelly is coming through, but Magnússon has looked error prone (I certainly think he is a confidence player) at times, while Kelly I havent seen enough of but have been impressed in the little I have seen and I know he's very highly rated at the club.

Moving onto Reid, and the one who would be the hardest to replace IMO. But at the same time I dont think he'd have anywhere near the same impact in a team unless they played the same way as we do here, so that reduces his suitors. Then would he leave unless it was to a Premier League side? I'm inclined to say no. At the same time he is unlikely to be on the radar of the top clubs. So while I think he'd be the biggest loss, I think he's least likely to go, providing we can get him on a new contract.

Add in player development, the likes of O'Dowda, Brownhill and even Diedhiou have all improved this season. I think even if we started next season with the same players as this, we'd have a better chance of promotion just by player development, however there will likely be a few signings made in the summer.

Archived