IGNORED

England squad v Netherlands & Italy

Bryans Left Peg

11 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Bertrand, Sessegnon, Maguire, Tarkowski, Stones, Mee, Lascelles, Walker, Alexander-Arnold

Midfielders: Dier, Henderson, Cook, Shelvey, Redmond, Young, Ox, Albrighton

Forwards: Vardy, Murray, Rashford, Sterling, Alli, Lingard and our very own Bobby Reid (joke)

Redmond's done absolutely naff all this season, just ask Southampton fans.

Completely agree that Lascelles should have been called up though.

12 hours ago, hodge said:

Selects 4 keepers just so he doesn't have to drop Hart, Unless they're all going to play 45 minutes each over the two games its a pointless selection. 

That’s exactly what he will do. 45 each for all four. Having said that things would surprise you less with England if Pope gets called up then not given a go. Apparently we were after Nick Pope!!

I’d imagine Southgate knows far more about football and the players than any of us.

Lascelles probably deserved a call up and see how he fairs at international level but no one knows for sure he’d improve us - I think having a decent keeper behind us would instantly improve the defence anyway.

the rest of the squad is probably the best we’ve got to offer at the moment. Would have been nice to see some youngsters get some exposure, Lewis cook, Phil foden or Maitland-Niles come to mind but I’ve no idea if they are up to that level yet.

On 15/03/2018 at 21:16, jaydee=inspiration said:

Southgate needs to be brave and blood the young kids in the summer. Mateland-Niles for Arsenal should walk into that England side. Maybe the best English prospect I’ve seen for ages. 

Gomez is gonna be hell of player as well, don’t see how people have a got a problem with him, his natural position is central not right. Why not bring foden and the kid from Dortmund in as well, can’t do any harm for them to experience the tournament, rather than journeymen like Livermore, wtf is he doing anywhere near the side!

I have to agree Gomez had a stunning debut Vs Germany.

Hart...

Livermore...

Goalkeeper - Joe Hart is finished, why bring him? He can't get into West Ham's side ahead of a slightly erratic Adrian - it wouldn't surprise me if he was Spain's 5th choice or something. The other 3 in the squad are all good enough and proven this season in the prem.

Defence - I can't really complain about. Got a nice mix of experience and talented youth. I like the fact he's bombed out Smalling who is stealing a living at Utd. I'd go as far as saying Flint would do a better job.

Wilshere, sadly, is England's best midfield player these days and can't fault him being picked now he's playing consistently for Arsenal as well as being their most influential player. But the Jake Livermore love-in from Southgate is baffling - he's playing in a shit team and offers nothing other players can't.I rate Loftus-Cheek but I'm pretty sure he's injured.

What really annoys me is why Welbeck gets picked instead of the likes of Glenn Murray. Welbeck had scored 3 goals this season before his brace against Milan. Murray 12 in the league alone and doesn't play every game. Murray gives you that target man option, you know he'll play for the shirt and he knows how to score goals even if it isn't pretty. Welbeck can't shoot without falling over his own feet. I had high hopes Tammy would make the squad after his decent start to the prem season but he's not done enough to warrant a place since.

On 16/03/2018 at 16:57, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

2004: James, Neville, Campbell, Terry, A.Cole, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, J.Cole, Rooney.

Now that is some eleven.

Anyone else look at the current squad and think, 'this is the weakest set of names playing for England I've ever set my eyes on?'

That really was a great side, on paper anyway.. never really had a system to accommodate them all.

Any of those midfielders would instantly become our best midfield player which says a lot about the depth of this current squad.

I genuinely would take Sessegnon. Very gifted and obviously a future prem player, why not take him? 

23 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Germans are probably laughing their socks off. They take our young English talent to bolster their league clubs,  but then England totally ignore them. Echoes of the rugby .  If you don't play in England then you don't play for England, and look what taking that stance has done for Rugby. 

I think that’s partly because it’s rare for many young English players to go abroad. Sancho and the young English chap at Barcelona may start a new trend. Good to see Reece Oxford go to Germany too.

A bit different but I see that Ravel Morrison, who’s now based in Mexico, has been called up internationally.. by Jamaica. On talent and potential alone he should’ve been an England regular by now.. such a waste and by his own doing.

16 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I’d imagine Southgate knows far more about football and the players than any of us.

Lascelles probably deserved a call up and see how he fairs at international level but no one knows for sure he’d improve us - I think having a decent keeper behind us would instantly improve the defence anyway.

the rest of the squad is probably the best we’ve got to offer at the moment. Would have been nice to see some youngsters get some exposure, Lewis cook, Phil foden or Maitland-Niles come to mind but I’ve no idea if they are up to that level yet.

Lewis Cook is a different kettle of fish to the other 2. 100+ appearances. He is the dark horse for the World Cup.  Sort of player England need. 

Foden is 17 and in the under 19s, Maitland Niles only in his first season and in the under 21s.  Can't see any argument for either of them to be pushed up to the main squad  

1 hour ago, joeyb said:

Goalkeeper - Joe Hart is finished, why bring him? He can't get into West Ham's side ahead of a slightly erratic Adrian - it wouldn't surprise me if he was Spain's 5th choice or something. The other 3 in the squad are all good enough and proven this season in the prem.

Defence - I can't really complain about. Got a nice mix of experience and talented youth. I like the fact he's bombed out Smalling who is stealing a living at Utd. I'd go as far as saying Flint would do a better job.

Wilshere, sadly, is England's best midfield player these days and can't fault him being picked now he's playing consistently for Arsenal as well as being their most influential player. But the Jake Livermore love-in from Southgate is baffling - he's playing in a shit team and offers nothing other players can't.I rate Loftus-Cheek but I'm pretty sure he's injured.

What really annoys me is why Welbeck gets picked instead of the likes of Glenn Murray. Welbeck had scored 3 goals this season before his brace against Milan. Murray 12 in the league alone and doesn't play every game. Murray gives you that target man option, you know he'll play for the shirt and he knows how to score goals even if it isn't pretty. Welbeck can't shoot without falling over his own feet. I had high hopes Tammy would make the squad after his decent start to the prem season but he's not done enough to warrant a place since.

Welbeck gets picked because he is a better player than Glen Murray with international experience. He's scored 15 in 36 games for England some of which has been as a wide player. That isn't bad and he's 27.  He made a poor choice joining Arsenal..  

Loftus-Cheek gave up at Ashton Gate.  England should never pick players who chuck in the towel..  Wiltshire is the same.  Walks around and only looks good in games that have been already won.  Bluffer.

34 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Germans are probably laughing their socks off. They take our young English talent to bolster their league clubs,  but then England totally ignore them. Echoes of the rugby .  If you don't play in England then you don't play for England, and look what taking that stance has done for Rugby. 

Which English players based in Germany are you referring to here?

If it's Jadon Sancho, he has only played six games for Dortmund's first team. Maybe he's ready and good enough for the senior England squad, but it would be a big call from Southgate on the back of just six first team appearances.

If it's Reece Oxford, I don't think he's good enough (yet) for the senior squad.

If it's Leon Bailey, that's a whole separate argument.

Am I missing anyone else here?

On 15/03/2018 at 20:21, CheddarReds said:

Henderson and Dier in midfield :shutup:

When fit Wilshere is our best central midfielder and the only midfielder England have who could control a game. That's why he's in and why I hope he starts ahead of Henderson.

Wiltshire does not control games.  As Roy Keane said the other week, he has to be the most overrated player on the planet.  

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that’s partly because it’s rare for many young English players to go abroad. Sancho and the young English chap at Barcelona may start a new trend. Good to see Reece Oxford go to Germany too.

A bit different but I see that Ravel Morrison, who’s now based in Mexico, has been called up internationally.. by Jamaica. On talent and potential alone he should’ve been an England regular by now.. such a waste and by his own doing.

That goal he scored against Spurs for West Ham is still one of my favourite non City goals. What a player he could’ve been.

8 minutes ago, lenred said:

That goal he scored against Spurs for West Ham is still one of my favourite non City goals. What a player he could’ve been.

Immensely gifted.. a few years back, Sir Alex apparently called Rooney and Rio over to watch him training for the youth side. He said that Morrison was more gifted than both of them and could be the future of Man United. I assume this was before he grew into an idiot.. such a shame he has the attitude and application of Nile Ranger instead of Jon Stead.

On 15/03/2018 at 20:35, Bryans Left Peg said:

Honestly think Wilshere is a completely overrated footballer. Absolute fraud of a footballer who was playing above his level at Bournemouth. Astonishing that he even has one cap for England, let alone keeps being selected.

163 club appearances in 10 years. Yet has 34 for England?? 

Well said.   

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Immensely gifted.. a few years back, Sir Alex apparently called Rooney and Rio over to watch him training for the youth side. He said that Morrison was more gifted than both of them and could be the future of Man United. I assume this was before he grew into an idiot.. such a shame he has the attitude and application of Nile Ranger instead of Jon Stead.

Supposedly he was the most talented young player SAF has seen in his time at United. Seems as if he is a bit of a dick though, can see what type he is in his interviews. It is a shame but as we all know there are so many more ingredients needed to become a top player other than talent.. no loss for me is Ravel.

Sancho is some talent, without doubt id be taking the gamble on him instead of people like Wilshere or Redmond.. what has Southgate really got to lose.

21 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Wiltshire does not control games.  As Roy Keane said the other week, he has to be the most overrated player on the planet.  

Always rate Roy Keane's brutal honesty, even if I disagree with him here :laugh: 

Don't get me wrong, Wilshere (or anyone else we have for England) will never control a midfield against the top class, like Pogba and Kante, or Kroos and Khedira or Iniesta, Fabregas and Busquets but for me he's the best hope we have, and can control the tempo against lower opposition. Dier's qualities don't suit that role and Henderson just does everything slowly and averagely. Wilshere gets in for me.

4 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Always rate Roy Keane's brutal honesty, even if I disagree with him here :laugh: 

Don't get me wrong, Wilshere (or anyone else we have for England) will never control a midfield against the top class, like Pogba and Kante, or Kroos and Khedira or Iniesta, Fabregas and Busquets but for me he's the best hope we have, and can control the tempo against lower opposition. Dier's qualities don't suit that role and Henderson just does everything slowly and averagely. Wilshere gets in for me.

Wiltshire waddles around like an overweight has been.  If he's controlling the tempo than the game is too slow.  Watch the goals Arsenal have conceded recently.  He's literally 50 yards away walking back.  He's not good enough to be carried by others and we're not strong enough to carry him.  Ditch him

Archived