IGNORED

England squad v Netherlands & Italy

Bryans Left Peg

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Henderson can play the holding role and is miles better than Livermore but you can't play him and Dier as they are too similar. Henderson alongside Wilshire might be the best option we currently have.

The player I'm most looking forward to seeing is Lewis Cook.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the squad and maybe even starting if he does well come the World Cup.  

2 hours ago, Super said:

Henderson can play the holding role and is miles better than Livermore but you can't play him and Dier as they are too similar. Henderson alongside Wilshire might be the best option we currently have.

Ahhh a midfield pairing of Wilshere and Henderson, thats us guranteed to get to the last 16 at the very best then :yes:

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

You can't think of a more clueless pundit than Roy Keane?  Here's a few for you.

Alan Shearer, Dion Dublin, Robbie Savage, Jermaine Jenas, Steve Claridge, Chris Iwelumo, Michael Gray, Paul Ince, Chris Sutton, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Phil Neville, Jamie Redknapp

All ex pros who spent years in and around the top level of football 

I would guess they know a lot more about the ins and outs of the game than the average fan

10 hours ago, underhanded said:

It's interesting how divisive WIlshere is, some seem to think he's our best CM, others suggest he isn't even of Prem standard. I personally think he's one of the better shouts for a CM spot, and if partnered with the correct player in the middle will be our best option going into the tournament. That's not to say he's world class, or anything of the like. A big problem for England over the years seems to be the lack of an ability to make things happen in the final third when at tournaments, and I don't see anyone else being able to step up and make that happen. Remember people can, slightly hysterically, talk about how useless he is in the Prem etc. but he always fairs fairly well in an England shirt, so he has to be near enough starting for me.

Oh yeah, and have opinions on players all you want, but I can't think of a more clueless, reactionary pundit than Roy Keane, so I'd take everything he says with a very big pinch of salt :)

In that case, let's take Crouchy as well with his 22 goals in 42 internationals. :P

16 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

People are always unfair on Wilshere. When he's on his form without injuries he is genuinely top class with World class potential. His movement, passing and drive forward is amazing. Many of England's recent games when he's played have all revolved around him. 

Respectfully, what has Wilshire ever done to suggest or warrant a 'top class' talent tag?

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:26, dereks no1 said:

dont understand having 4 keepers in the squad

So he can give them all 1/2 a game each then make a decision based on that. Totally unfair IMO. We know what Hart can and can't do so why have successive England managers continued to play him in friendlies which leaves us going into a World Cup not knowing which keeper to pick. Should have used previous friendlies to give the number 2 a decent chance.

6 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

So he can give them all 1/2 a game each then make a decision based on that. Totally unfair IMO. We know what Hart can and can't do so why have successive England managers continued to play him in friendlies which leaves us going into a World Cup not knowing which keeper to pick. Should have used previous friendlies to give the number 2 a decent chance.

Errr.  He did.  Pickford played against Germany. Hart against Brazil.  

Pickford is playing tomorrow

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Jack Wilshere injured in training apparently, hasn't travelled to Holland. As fragile as glass :facepalm:

If Jack Wilshire was actually a world class cannot drop player then we should take him. He's not those things though so why waste a spot on a crock?

On a different note, fair play to Southgate for the way he dismissed Boris Johnson's scaremongering.  'It's of little interest to me what the foreign secretary thinks about it'.  That takes some bottle and clarity - he's basically saying don't even think about playing politics with the England team.  

12 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I'm really looking forward to this evenings game.  I love international nights. 

I do get frustrated with England managers at times, and I get that they are stuck between a proverbial rock and a hard place, but why on earth do they not pick on form players instead of English players from the best teams. 

I'm sure Dele Alli will get a game though as, well, he is Dele Alli.  

Why wouldn't he?

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

He's not in the best of form is he.  Don't get me wrong, the guy is a great player, but surely you have to play in-form players? I'd play Jesse Lingard ahead of him at the moment. 

I can back that up with stats too if you want.

Go on then pal, I would genuinely be interested in seeing the stats.

What I would say though is that there's plenty of room in the team for Alli and Lingard, don't see why Alli wouldn't play behind Kane with Lingard in one of the wider forward positions. Alli is a nailed on starter for England right now in my view.

15 hours ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Be interesting to see how we play against Holland tonight. A Holland team who haven’t made it to the world cup and without Arjen Robben who has retired from international. Surely Southgate can boost the England players

Not a popular view as it is the fashion these days to knock England and Southgate, but I thought we looked good against an admittedly very poor looking Dutch side. 

Players actually played the way they play for their club's, not trying to play a brand of football they are unfamiliar with because it's international football

I was genuinely surprised at how strong Sterling looked, his increase in upper body strength seems to have come in a season.

What has happened to the Dutch though? Throughout my lifetime I probably knew their team as well as any English side, but many of these players were unknown to me, and they looked very poor.

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Not a popular view as it is the fashion these days to knock England and Southgate, but I thought we looked good against an admittedly very poor looking Dutch side. 

Players actually played the way they play for their club's, not trying to play a brand of football they are unfamiliar with because it's international football

I was genuinely surprised at how strong Sterling looked, his increase in upper body strength seems to have come in a season.

What has happened to the Dutch though? Throughout my lifetime I probably knew their team as well as any English side, but many of these players were unknown to me, and they looked very poor.

Knew about 5 of the Dutch players last night. Imagine what would have happened if they had won that World Cup final in 2010?

I thought it was good last night.  Main thing is that people don't get carried away.  The Dutch were poor.  

As someone said earlier in this thread, the idea that you have to pick certain players (ie Alli) was blown out the water.  Lingard was miles better than him.  People think of the International team as some kind of Premiership XI.  Southgate is picking players to suit a style which is what we want.  He is coming across as increasingly assured and deals well with questions chucked at him.  

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Did we underestimate Englands performance?

I think we all agreed that the Dutch looked dire, but judging by the fact that they went to Portugal yesterday and won 3-0, I have to wonder if we made them look bad.

I took one look at the England team and was utterly underwhelmed by it, and it was certainly no vintage Netherlands team. However, I thought we did a good job, notably Henderson and Sterling, 2 players I have generally little or no time for. There was one point where Sterling killed and controlled a pass that had me nodding approvingly. A far cry from the tirade of abuse I hurled at him during the Euros. So, credit where it's due. Not sure it is a team you can see winning a world cup, but at least we played with a sense that 1) there was actual game plan and 2) the players appeared to understand, and buy into, said plan.

All with the caveat that we could easily revert to normal service tonight.

We play some lovely stuff when playing and running behind the defence. Teams will press us because we don’t hold the ball well but this counteracts it rather nicely.  Defensively we still look unsteady and teams in WC will surely exploit it

10 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

We play some lovely stuff when playing and running behind the defence. Teams will press us because we don’t hold the ball well but this counteracts it rather nicely.  Defensively we still look unsteady and teams in WC will surely exploit it

Indeed. The Italians have missed at least two excellent chances and England can't rely on poor finishing in World Cup.

Pace is causing the Italians some problems tho. It's good to see English players actually running with ball.

Archived