IGNORED

UPDATE - THERE WILL BE NO WALKOUT - CANCELLED

Harry

11 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I think there are certain individuals now running our football club who would much rather fill the place with polite day tripping happy clappers, rather than those who have been around much longer than they have. They don’t want anyone questioning what they want to do, or ruffling feathers such has been tried to be done over the last couple of weeks.  

Anything that can detract from what they’re trying to get on and do is alright with them. If we all just shut up and went away, they’d like that. 

You may be right. Unfortunately their plan will only work, long term, if there is continued uninterrupted success. If City reach the Premier League there will be good crowds, but how long will City stay there? A relegation followed by mid table anonymity in the Championship and the sort of supporters the club seem to want will fade away. That’s when the core supporters will be needed. If they are treated badly there won’t be many core supporters left. 

12 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The whole point of a new stadium was to have a new stadium. I fail to see how a stadium can pay for itself without selling tickets.

The whole point of the stadium is to make money. It's a monster now and is busy with this that and the other practically every day of the week. Conferences, Weddings, Trade Fairs, Glitzy Balls etc etc. That stadium is making more money now than ever.  

It does not rely on ticket sales alone. 

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

"They" are not the club.

"We" (the supporters) are the club.

"They" are on board for the short haul (whilst there's money to be made).

"We" will be here forever.

I doubt that many board members make money from being involved in a football club, that aside, I agree that the supporters are the heart of the club.  

We will only be here forever if there is a team, stadium and the admin that goes with that, to run a football club and give it somewhere to play, sadly that is becoming so expensive that for those outside of the Premier league, unless there is some monetary redistribution, or a way to set realistic players wages, I am not convinced there will be so many teams in the professional leagues in the coming years.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Not so sure. I have been emailing @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO almost every other day (probably fed up with me), banging on about disabled prices and a longer renewal period.

I know Matt took these (and other fans comments) up to the board.

These items were the one's the club said it would look at after the meeting last week. 

Changes have been made. My disabled ticket has been reduced by just over £50 this year £34 next and £17 the year after (south stand).

Now is this better than no rise at all? Of course not but it is a lot better than the first club proposal.

Now ask yourself, would this have happened without fans groups insisting on a meeting? Fans turning up and making the case? Fans then adding to that pressure with phone calls, letters and emails?

I personally doubt any changes would have happened without fan pressure!

As far as the club are concerned you can pay monthly starting in May.

this is the owner who lives else where to avoid paying tax!!!

It really is a case of pay up or F off.

at the moment a extra £600 for the year looking a lot better than going to City next season & I sat through some shit down there.

48 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I think there are certain individuals now running our football club who would much rather fill the place with polite day tripping happy clappers, rather than those who have been around much longer than they have. They don’t want anyone questioning what they want to do, or ruffling feathers such has been tried to be done over the last couple of weeks.  

Anything that can detract from what they’re trying to get on and do is alright with them. If we all just shut up and went away, they’d like that. 

Interesting viewpoint, thanks for your reply. 

So if nobody buys tickets, we all shut up and go away and games are played in front of an empty stadium generating no revenue then the club will be happy? 

16 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Arsenal fans pay £1,500 a season don't walk out despite their angst for Wenger and the owners. 

And there is the proof that modern football is rubbish, they just bend over and take it up the Arsenal, one of the most corporate clubs there is.  

I think the problems that the OP made out it was something he expected all city fans to do and that got people backs up,

He should have just said I am walking out on 60 minutes as don't agree with a lot the clubs doing anyone who agreed please join me,

That's on excuse for having a go at the guy though, I don't agree with him but can see he loves the club so people should cut him some slack

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The whole point of a new stadium was to have a new stadium. I fail to see how a stadium can pay for itself without selling tickets.

If this whole debate is solely about price rises then I'm with BS on this- we are not a particularly expensive club to watch and price rises have been modest over a number of years. Fans can't have it all in terms of a stunning new stadium, investment in players and investment in youth all under a brief of long term sustainability. Even with the price increases it is likely that SL will have to subsidise the club for a number of years more.

My problem is about the lack of consultation with existing ST holders, people being forced to move, disproportionate rises in certain sections and the inequity of all that.

But price rises in isolation- it's how it's always going to be so long as we want to have any chance of competing at this level where a good Championship standard player can easily be paid £25,000 per week.

You say the stadium won’t pay for itself without selling tickets.....fair point but if those tickets are set at too high a price and people either don’t buy or move to a cheaper area or no longer buy food and drink inside Ashton Gate the club is defeating it’s aim isn’t it?

A slightly tongue in cheek point but if the aim of the increases is to make us more competitive and more capable of moving to the next level then let’s hope we set the bar higher than loan signings like Diony and Kent who have been a complete and utter waste of money so far.

We are all grateful for the subsidy of the club by the Lansdown’s but one nagging thought that reoccurs to me from time to time is that after donkey’s years of running this club, this plan, that plan, god knows how many pillars we have now they never seem to learn. We have the odd season where we flirt with a bit of success otherwise it’s same old same old.

If Johnson doesn’t arrest the current slump we will go into next season with a very realistic possibility of fighting relegation again, assuming one or two players are cashed in which they will be. As I say same old same old but with huge price increases for many to boot!!

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You say the stadium won’t pay for itself without selling tickets.....fair point but if those tickets are set at too high a price and people either don’t buy or move to a cheaper area or no longer buy food and drink inside Ashton Gate the club is defeating it’s aim isn’t it?

A slightly tongue in cheek point but if the aim of the increases is to make us more competitive and more capable of moving to the next level then let’s hope we set the bar higher than loan signings like Diony and Kent who have been a complete and utter waste of money.

We are all grateful for the subsidy of the club by the Lansdown’s but one nagging thought that reoccurs to me from time to time is that after donkey’s years of running this club, this plan, that plan, god knows how many pillars we have now they never seem to learn. We have the odd season where we flirt with a bit of success otherwise it’s same old same old.

If Johnson doesn’t arrest the current slump we will go into next season with a very realistic possibility of fighting relegation again, assuming one or two players are cashed in which they will be. As I say same old same old but with huge price increases for many to boot!!

And that's the salient point that so many are totally missing with our slipping quietly away...

Too many seem assured/contented even in the knowledge that we shall for sure be in contention again next season..

But realistically what shape will that contest take..???

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Well I have to say I am very disappointed to have to post this.

I posted this morning suggesting a walkout on Saturday in order to demonstrate to Bristol Sport that us Bristol City fans were a different breed and we would not take price hikes to the most vulnerable in our fanbase lightly.  I always thought that we were different.  Heard so many times that "oh that wouldn't happen at City" and "we wouldn't stand for that" when there have been stories of corporate greed and fans being taken for a ride at other clubs.

From the reaction my suggestion has received, it appears I have completely misjudged our fans.  I thought there would be a strong weight of opinion against the indiscriminate price rises for kids, the elderly and the disabled.  I thought that we would all stand up for each other, have each others backs, and stick up for those in our fanbase who were being edged out in favour of corporate money, glory supporters and greed.

I'm sad to say that I was very wrong.  It appears as if there are about 30 or 40 people who seem really behind it, which let's face it is a shit protest.  It seems most of our fans are too keen to not upset the players and ruin our (fading) premiership dream, rather than stick up for their fellow supporters who are having their matchday experience nullified by the decisions made.  I don't mind other people disagreeing with me on this, but I have received a torrent of abuse today for trying to stick up for others (on all forms of media, not just on here).  I'm not in it for that.  I thought I was helping others, but it seems I'm causing all sorts of division and hatred.

As a result, I am not going to suggest to anyone that they walk out in protest this week.  You can all carry on doing whatever you want to do and ignore the bigger picture.  That's your right.

Over the years I have been someone who has tried to bring as much atmosphere to Ashton Gate as possible.  I have been active in support of this club and trying to improve the colour, atmosphere and general experience.  It seems all of that is completely futile.  After the abuse received today I'm not going to bother any more.  I will continue to support my team for the rest of this season, in body, but not in voice.  I've had to put up with the following over the years :
You think you're a superfan, why do you sing that shit song, why don't you sing this, the atmosphere is shit, S82 is shit, you sing too fast, you sing too slow, that song has too many words, we've got nothing new, we copy everyone else, that new song is shit, blah blah blah.

The haters win.  I'm not bothering any more.  There's plenty who will keep trying, but the majority of fans at Ashton Gate don't seem to give a shit.  So I'm gonna join the majority and just be a bit-part in this club and let it continue to be a place of a placid support base that are happy to let their bellies be tickled by the corporates.  So much for everyone who says "against modern football", and "we'd never let that happen here".  The majority have shown this week that they are happy with how "modern football" is being run at our club, so I'm pissing in the wind.

Bristol Sport have missed a trick here.  The best 'product' they've produced in decades and they are trying to cash in on it straight away by robbing the poor to provide a place for the rich.

Good luck to everyone who wants to continue the fight against this, and to those who want to continue to bring atmosphere to our placid place.

Bizarre decision yo consider a walk out in the first place. You have seriously misjudged 1) you as an individuals ability to get followers 2) the general view in a potential playoff situation.

21 hours ago, poland_exile said:

as someone who started one of the threads you are critical of allow me to defend myself :) 

Last week I stood up for West Ham for having the balls to protest in their robust way. I got flamed for that by many, but it's only right for me to reiterate that support. What they did was a proper protest: going on the pitch, showing the club you're pissed off and livid. Sneaking out early and buying a pint (from the club!), is not a protest but a weak cop-out. That's why I think this whole 'out at 30' is a shambles. I in no way support the increase, but think if people feel strongly about it then they should do something equally strong. Go on the pitch, stand outside the directors entrance and give them grief, etc. 

Secondly, posting about other issues doesn't mean I haven't been posting about this. I'm sure that applies to others. I'd be grateful if you didn't insinuate that we're somehow complicit in the gentrification of the gate as that couldn't be further from the truth. 

Defend away! I did give a huge caveat at the start. Good defence.

10 hours ago, RumRed said:

And there is the proof that modern football is rubbish, they just bend over and take it up the Arsenal, one of the most corporate clubs there is.  

There was a bloke in the dolman today wearing an arsenal jacket. Must have been his own kind of protest

9 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

There was a bloke in the dolman today wearing an arsenal jacket. Must have been his own kind of protest

I’ll raise you a Rangers bobble hat! ...But I guess if it’s warm.

Archived