IGNORED

UPDATE - THERE WILL BE NO WALKOUT - CANCELLED

Harry

On 3/16/2018 at 17:49, Harry said:

Well I have to say I am very disappointed to have to post this.

I posted this morning suggesting a walkout on Saturday in order to demonstrate to Bristol Sport that us Bristol City fans were a different breed and we would not take price hikes to the most vulnerable in our fanbase lightly.  I always thought that we were different.  Heard so many times that "oh that wouldn't happen at City" and "we wouldn't stand for that" when there have been stories of corporate greed and fans being taken for a ride at other clubs.

From the reaction my suggestion has received, it appears I have completely misjudged our fans.  I thought there would be a strong weight of opinion against the indiscriminate price rises for kids, the elderly and the disabled.  I thought that we would all stand up for each other, have each others backs, and stick up for those in our fanbase who were being edged out in favour of corporate money, glory supporters and greed.

I'm sad to say that I was very wrong.  It appears as if there are about 30 or 40 people who seem really behind it, which let's face it is a shit protest.  It seems most of our fans are too keen to not upset the players and ruin our (fading) premiership dream, rather than stick up for their fellow supporters who are having their matchday experience nullified by the decisions made.  I don't mind other people disagreeing with me on this, but I have received a torrent of abuse today for trying to stick up for others (on all forms of media, not just on here).  I'm not in it for that.  I thought I was helping others, but it seems I'm causing all sorts of division and hatred.

As a result, I am not going to suggest to anyone that they walk out in protest this week.  You can all carry on doing whatever you want to do and ignore the bigger picture.  That's your right.

Over the years I have been someone who has tried to bring as much atmosphere to Ashton Gate as possible.  I have been active in support of this club and trying to improve the colour, atmosphere and general experience.  It seems all of that is completely futile.  After the abuse received today I'm not going to bother any more.  I will continue to support my team for the rest of this season, in body, but not in voice.  I've had to put up with the following over the years :
You think you're a superfan, why do you sing that shit song, why don't you sing this, the atmosphere is shit, S82 is shit, you sing too fast, you sing too slow, that song has too many words, we've got nothing new, we copy everyone else, that new song is shit, blah blah blah.

The haters win.  I'm not bothering any more.  There's plenty who will keep trying, but the majority of fans at Ashton Gate don't seem to give a shit.  So I'm gonna join the majority and just be a bit-part in this club and let it continue to be a place of a placid support base that are happy to let their bellies be tickled by the corporates.  So much for everyone who says "against modern football", and "we'd never let that happen here".  The majority have shown this week that they are happy with how "modern football" is being run at our club, so I'm pissing in the wind.

Bristol Sport have missed a trick here.  The best 'product' they've produced in decades and they are trying to cash in on it straight away by robbing the poor to provide a place for the rich.

Good luck to everyone who wants to continue the fight against this, and to those who want to continue to bring atmosphere to our placid place.

My God you are one attention seeker ...You pays your money etc etc..It's not that the Haters have won at all, you and your campaign failed, sorry your cozy little view of City has been tarnished but we have to try and compete now, no more sucking up to the regulars who really don't even want promotion  because they are happy with their own selfish lot.

28 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

My God you are one attention seeker ...You pays your money etc etc..It's not that the Haters have won at all, you and your campaign failed, sorry your cozy little view of City has been tarnished but we have to try and compete now, no more sucking up to the regulars who really don't even want promotion  because they are happy with their own selfish lot.

Not sure my bin is big enough for this. Might need a trip to the tip.

10 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Pure, unbridled irony.

8 hours ago, Robin TBW said:

I didn't notice any of the signs.

I didn’t either. There was a bit of shouting and scuffling behind me in E29 of the Dolman that caused quite a lot of people to turn around but I didn’t see what it was about. A couple of blokes walked away peacefully with stewards not long after, they may or may not have had anything to do with the shouting etc.

19 minutes ago, Super said:

Think they were before the game started. Can't remember seeing them after.

We took them down before the game started and I don't think they came out again. I left straight afterwards so I wouldn't really know, but the plan was just pre-match. Stewards thought I was a bit odd walking out the stadium 30 seconds in though.

If you have spare time after the game you could express your dissatisfaction with MA himself when he gets back in his car (********) parks by the Atyeo end of the Williams/Lansdown stand. 

The one thing I can’t get my head around is the large increase in prices won’t have much of an impact in on field signings etc. Due to the hike in player prices and wages. 

18 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

If you have spare time after the game you could express your dissatisfaction with MA himself when he gets back in his car (********) parks by the Atyeo end of the Williams/Lansdown stand. 

The one thing I can’t get my head around is the large increase in prices won’t have much of an impact in on field signings etc. Due to the hike in player prices and wages. 

Why put his car registration on here? Are you hoping something happens to it?

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I didn’t either. There was a bit of shouting and scuffling behind me in E29 of the Dolman that caused quite a lot of people to turn around but I didn’t see what it was about. A couple of blokes walked away peacefully with stewards not long after, they may or may not have had anything to do with the shouting etc.

Completely unrelated. People in the wrong seats complaining that they couldn't see the game as someone was stood up in front of them blocking their view.

More entertaining than what was happening on the pitch though :yawn:

I think the thing for me is that I think the club have ballsed up the season tickets but it seems clear to me from their response that they know it has been a fiasco and I hope they learn lessons from it in the future.

I'm fine with protests when clubs continually do not learn lessons and continually disregard their fans but I actually think, whilst far from perfect, fan and community engagement has improved from where it was five years ago. I think the signs and banners in the ground are great - but my feeling wasn't so much an objection to protesting outside the ground as a feeling that I don't think we've reached the protest out the ground stage yet. Not to say we won't but I wonder if the reason the protest didn't get popular support was not so much because people don't support it or don't care but because people simply felt it wasn't yet the right time for that level of protest - signs and banners in the ground feels about right to me at the moment and protests outside does not. Maybe I'm not militant enough and maybe I'm too much of a pushover but that's my instinct. 

On 3/18/2018 at 10:09, Kingswood Robin said:

Not sure my bin is big enough for this. Might need a trip to the tip.

Problem is this sort of demonstration does nothing but harm to our promotion bid, it detracts, besides the new stadium was not a gift, it has to be paid for, as do the players, wages, staffing, etc, the club has to be financially sound, as I said if anyone does not feel they are not getting value for money they can apply the ultimate sanction.  

2 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Of course not, 

as I said so people can talk to the man himself. Not being funny hes hardly going incognito with his reg 

Tell me this is it? 1 away from what it should be.

Entire fleet of them still available at DVLA.

And all for the price of a season ticket.... :whistle:

32C045A6-936B-4BC8-A3CB-330E1C6C42E4.jpeg

I carried out my walkout at 30 minutes. I said I was gonna do it so I stuck to me guns. Went back in after HT to cheer the team on. My effort must have worked cause we got 3 points. So what time is the next walkout?

3 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Of course not, 

as I said so people can talk to the man himself. Not being funny hes hardly going incognito with his reg 

Understand your frustrations mate, but ambushing Mark Ashton outside the stadium at his car probably won't look very professional/hold us in contempt by the club.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the only thing that will ever work is bums not on seats. If you really oppose what the club is doing r.e. season tickets, don't renew.

1 minute ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Understand your frustrations mate, but ambushing Mark Ashton outside the stadium at his car probably won't look very professional/hold us in contempt by the club.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the only thing that will ever work is bums not on seats. If you really oppose what the club is doing r.e. season tickets, don't renew.

I didn’t mean it as an ambush but a chance to discuss matters with a man who makes the decisions at the club. 

I do see what you mean but that will only take effect from next season as they already have most of our money 

Shame to see @Harry go tbh.

Good poster, seems a fan organiser, good integrity I suspect.

With regards the private messages he received, I have no more clue than anyone else on this- perhaps less- but entirely  possible he received abusive, but not threatening, messages direct to his FB inbox, as opposed to for example on here as either posts or or on a public forum like the City Till I Die page. However he chose not to publish them in order not to exacerbate a situation.

Archived