IGNORED

On This Day - Twerton

poland_exile

I've been waiting for @1960maaan to do the honours but can't wait any longer! 

Today is a special anniversary indeed - 22 years since we broke our Trumpton hex and massacred the gas on their patch! 

If memory serves me correctly, it was a typically fierce derby day with a bit of fighting on their home terrace down the side and scrapping with the police in front of the away end.

To beat the gas is always special, but to put four past them was just something else. To fall back on cliche, if this had been a boxing match the ref would have stepped in and put an end to it all. I'm glad he didn't, for this was a piss-take from start to finish. 

Certainly, one of my favourite away days with City.

If I'm right, this was their last season in Bath, the following year they moved back to Briz. As a stadium geek who loves decrepit old grounds, I think of Twerton as something of a classic stadium. During a recent trip back to England I managed to fit in a Bath City home game and was glad i did - great to visit this ground and enjoy it properly without anything at stake. 

16 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I've been waiting for @1960maaan to do the honours but can't wait any longer! 

Today is a special anniversary indeed - 22 years since we broke our Trumpton hex and massacred the gas on their patch! 

If memory serves me correctly, it was a typically fierce derby day with a bit of fighting on their home terrace down the side and scrapping with the police in front of the away end.

To beat the gas is always special, but to put four past them was just something else. To fall back on cliche, if this had been a boxing match the ref would have stepped in and put an end to it all. I'm glad he didn't, for this was a piss-take from start to finish. 

Certainly, one of my favourite away days with City.

If I'm right, this was their last season in Bath, the following year they moved back to Briz. As a stadium geek who loves decrepit old grounds, I think of Twerton as something of a classic stadium. During a recent trip back to England I managed to fit in a Bath City home game and was glad i did - great to visit this ground and enjoy it properly without anything at stake. 

...and since moving back to Bristol they have never looked... erm,  

forward

for those of us who took the tote and used to love an easy win at the greyhound stadium it is nice to refresh our memories with this sort of video that we ever had rivals. Never again i suspect in our lifetime so 17 can be assumed to become 27, 37 etc. 

I wonder what that lot put on their forum as reminders that they have rivals? 2 games against FGR or a trip to Swindle?

6 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

for those of us who took the tote and used to love an easy win at the greyhound stadium it is nice to refresh our memories with this sort of video that we ever had rivals. Never again i suspect in our lifetime so 17 can be assumed to become 27, 37 etc. 

I wonder what that lot put on their forum as reminders that they have rivals? 2 games against FGR or a trip to Swindle?

I do miss a Bristol derby, the buzz was incredible. That said, though we are world's apart nowadays, it's not totally inconceivable they have a jammy run to the playoffs and fluke promotion. If it meant six points for us and them relegated with record low points then I'd love to see them up for one season! 

That was my first and last game at Twerton - Mum wouldn't let me travel all the way to Bath unaccompanied so not until my friends dad got us tickets and drove us was I allowed to go. Really weird looking back, but only a few people I knew even had parents who drove. My family was just my two uncles and one cousin who had cars.

Love this game! Memories of drinking in Bath before the game, rocking up to the ground in a taxi, rolled out a little worse for wear, crammed terrace....went with brother and 2 mates, each of us up on the wall hanging off the fencing for each goal. Cracking!

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Love this game! Memories of drinking in Bath before the game, rocking up to the ground in a taxi, rolled out a little worse for wear, crammed terrace....went with brother and 2 mates, each of us up on the wall hanging off the fencing for each goal. Cracking!

was staggering drunk for this match myself - amazing to think back in the day it felt almost obligatory to be smashed for an away game. Wouldn't even get into the ground nowadays being that pissed! The warm cidery cloud that would seem to settle over our following is one of my favourite memories from 'the old days'. 

5 hours ago, poland_exile said:

was staggering drunk for this match myself - amazing to think back in the day it felt almost obligatory to be smashed for an away game. Wouldn't even get into the ground nowadays being that pissed! The warm cidery cloud that would seem to settle over our following is one of my favourite memories from 'the old days'. 

Definitely! Looking back now, we'd have been arrested for drunk n disorderly, or at least stopped from going in. Seemed to be way more than our allocation in that end too, it was bloody packed! :city:

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Bolton fans famously christened the dump at Horfield as "Chernobyl".

Wonder what name they would come up with for the complete and utter shithole, Trumpton ? 

am i right in remembering that there used to be a garden shed at trumpton standing between the 'grandstand' and the little lego stand on the side? A bizarre ground, great for non-league but unbelievable it was used to for several years in the second flight. I guess the fire only could have improved it :) 

Think the thing that I really hated was the houses up top, Freeview Crescent. You'd always get muggy gasheads leaning out of the windows trying to wind us up. I'm wondering if any city ever gave the doors a knock after the match. 

This came two months after Beadle’d scored twice at the Gate to give them a 2-0 win. Anyone under 30 will probably struggle to remember that they were on a par with us for a lot of the 90’s, and at times we’re better than us.

After they’d beat us, I’d had to endure plenty of them at School and around Kingswood giving me the old watch out Beadle’s about shit, for this one, they thought it was an absolute given they’d roll us over no problem.

Going over there where we’d had some absolute hammerings from them and battering them 4-2 will always be one of my favourite ever City games. It finally laid the Trumpton hoodoo to rest and kicked off a run where we got back on top of them.

Four of us turned up without tickets and a bloke from Free view Rd let us watch the game from his house for a small fee his wife even went out and got us some beers, I ended up on the roof of the popular side after the game doing a celebratory sort of dance !!! How I never went through the roof and landing in agmonst the none to happy Gas I'll never know, great day for a game I never got in to.

38 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

This came two months after Beadle’d scored twice at the Gate to give them a 2-0 win. Anyone under 30 will probably struggle to remember that they were on a par with us for a lot of the 90’s, and at times we’re better than us.

We seemed to play them every season, and yes they were very much on a par with us on the pitch. That 0-2 defeat at the Gate wasn’t a shock and my memory of the game was that they deserved to win.

If you had told me at the time that they would fall into the bottom tier for the first time in their boring history a few years later then spend the best part of 2 decades below us..even dropping out of the entire League, I’d have laughed at you.

They way they talk about playing us again as if it’s a cup final and all this “we’re coming for you...” shit shows just how far they’ve fallen behind us. If I was an old Saghead it would make me cringe.

12 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They way they talk about playing us again as if it’s a cup final and all this “we’re coming for you...” shit shows just how far they’ve fallen behind us. If I was an old Saghead it would make me cringe.

That's the thing that gets me. I have a mate who's a gAsshead , in every other respect we get on well but he has to have digs on FB. Another will post the name of the club we've played if we lose, and last week his status was ...   Burton ! We drew and they drew at home to Northampton , which completely escaped them ! If it was me , I'd keep my head down and celebrate our own victories and ignore the other lot.  It's the guy that posted a pisstake of some empty seats at the Gate, the City is yours are you sure sort of thing. He completely missed the fact that they get under half of our gates. To a man , deluded !

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Another will post the name of the club we've played if we lose, and last week his status was ...   Burton ! We drew and they drew at home to Northampton , which completely escaped them ! If it was me

Ha, I think most of us know Sagheads like that. 

I think for a lot of them they hate us more than they love their own club. 

We take the piss because we’re entitled to, they try and take the piss out of our results and crowds despite the fact most of the teams we play would humiliate them whilst they can only dream of regular 20k crowds.

The 90s and regular Bristol derbies feel like a lifetime ago.

52 minutes ago, Jarman said:

A proper football ground unlike the bland modern Ashton Gate ... 

Are you happy with the rugby ground? Actually do you live in a house or prefer to reside in a tent in the garden? The comparisons are valid I think.

Archived