IGNORED

Steve Allen - Unsung Hero (Merged)

Jerseybean

People on here saying our injuries cant be said to have affected our season in any way.

I think the fact we have had 3x as many operations as "a typical season" might do, and our physio with over 30 years in the sport describes it as his most challenging one says otherwise, and there's still 2 months left.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

People on here saying our injuries cant be said to have affected our season in any way.

I think the fact we have had 3x as many operations as "a typical season" might do, and our physio with over 30 years in the sport describes it as his most challenging one says otherwise, and there's still 2 months left.

Could this be a consequence of our high-tempo, high-pressing game?

I recall the same question being asked of Liverpool last season.

54 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

Could this be a consequence of our high-tempo, high-pressing game?

I recall the same question being asked of Liverpool last season.

Djuric and Taylor needed ops anyway to solve injuries they had carried for a while before joining us. Pisano, well his was just a horrible unfortunate injury - but none of them relate to our play style, just bad timing.

It's a  fascinating interview for sure. The detail that Steve Allen goes into about the different injuries really interests me particularly using Milan and CoD as manekins to highlight the actual injuries they suffered. Good news that Hegeler and GoN are nearing availability again as well, with Taylor not far off either.

Well done to all concerned involved in making it.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Anyone who is doubting our progress should listen to the full interview. Absolutely fascinating and detailed background to what Steve Allen says is the worst season for injuries he’s encountered in 32 years!  The guy really seems to know his stuff.  Very impressive indeed.

It doesn't work like that mate...some people would just rather ignore it, and find other reasons as to why things have caught up with us in the past few months.

Hence a few comments on this thread and loads on the moaning threads ;-)

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's a  fascinating interview for sure. The detail that Steve Allen goes into about the different injuries really interests me particularly using Milan and CoD as manekins to highlight the actual injuries they suffered. Good news that Hegeler and GoN are nearing availability again as well, with Taylor not far off either.

Well done to all concerned involved in making it.

Agreed, a fascinating insight and a worthwhile watch.

This should be compulsory viewing for those who are constantly looking for someone to blame for the decline in results. Sure, the reasons are multiple, and some constructive criticism is perfectly justified, but anyone watching Steve Allen’s summary can be left in no doubt as to the significance of the unprecedented spate of injuries we’ve had to contend with. Ten separate episodes of surgical intervention in a squad within a four or five month period is a staggering statistic.

Like others I am hugely impressed with Allen. Dedicated, very experienced and crucially, in addition to his evident expertise, a really nice bloke who relates well to the players in his care, a quality not always found in medical and other staff and which can make a big difference to treatment outcomes. We are lucky to have him.

I remember the Bournemouth chairman, interviewed on 5 Live last season, saying Eddie Howe never cites injuries as an excuse or reason for poor results. Something about how this impacts on the players that replace the injured first choice players. I don't think LJ has referred to injuries either (?) not sure, but just putting this out there.

Also, in a piece in one of the national papers this season, in the Man City semi build up, it was noted that we have a "no excuses" culture. 

Every club has injuries. Where we sit in the injuries "league table," I don't know. Perhaps we are amongst the worst off.

It certainly would help if Baker was as available as Flint though, if Pisano had not missed so much of the season or we had another right back. O'Dowda has been missed hugely (Kent has been no replacement) too. When Flint was thrown up front, a fit Djuric was sorely missed. I'm not sure O'Neil or Hegeler have been that great a loss, though. 

46 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I remember the Bournemouth chairman, interviewed on 5 Live last season, saying Eddie Howe never cites injuries as an excuse or reason for poor results. Something about how this impacts on the players that replace the injured first choice players. I don't think LJ has referred to injuries either (?) not sure, but just putting this out there.

Also, in a piece in one of the national papers this season, in the Man City semi build up, it was noted that we have a "no excuses" culture. 

Every club has injuries. Where we sit in the injuries "league table," I don't know. Perhaps we are amongst the worst off.

It certainly would help if Baker was as available as Flint though, if Pisano had not missed so much of the season or we had another right back. O'Dowda has been missed hugely (Kent has been no replacement) too. When Flint was thrown up front, a fit Djuric was sorely missed. I'm not sure O'Neil or Hegeler have been that great a loss, though. 

I think there's a difference between citing injuries as an excuse and understanding the impact that an unusually high number of injuries is likely to have had on a squad that it is not excessively big in the first place.  I think Lee is right not to make too much of the injury situation, but I do think that fans who spend their time running the team down on this website might think about the impact the injuries will have had on the squad as a whole, and give them some credit for still having a chance of the play-offs with nine matches to go.  For me, a fit O'Dowda and Djuric alone would have fundamentally altered our season.  Add to that the proven value of Matty Taylor as a substitute, plus the loss of Diedhiou for months, and you can see just how well the remaining squad members have done to keep us in the running.  When Korey Smith gets ripped to shreds by some for having one of this few poor games this season, then people need to get some perspective.

Eros and Callum being out has had a big impact. Not sure who would have ended up playing centre back if Eros was fit though as Aden Flint and Nathan Baker are our best pairing, but would LJ have left the skipper out?

As for Callum O'Dowda, the timing was awful as he had just hit a great run of form both going forward and tracking back.

8 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I’m not sure O'Neil or Hegeler have been that great a loss, though. 

Hegeler seems to be so under-rated on here, I think he’s a very fine footballer who can play in midfield or at centre back. He started this season as first choice centre back...Flint didn’t start until the 6th game...

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hegeler seems to be so under-rated on here, I think he’s a very fine footballer who can play in midfield or at centre back. He started this season as first choice centre back...Flint didn’t start until the 6th game...

Hegeler is clearly a gifted player. But he struggles with the pace and keeping a high tempo. Personally I think he will go in the summer. 

26 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Hegeler is clearly a gifted player. But he struggles with the pace and keeping a high tempo. Personally I think he will go in the summer. 

How do reach the conclusion that he lacks energy and stamina? Hegeler has been injured for most of the season. Prior to that he looked pretty useful in defence or midfield. Never struck  me as being off the pace.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

We hear a lot about the demands of the pressing game, player fatigue and injury, and the need for a Plan B, including references to the capacity of - for example - Man C to ease the strain on players by slowing the frenetic pace occasionally to give the team breathing space, but mention Hegeler and what you mostly get is “can’t play at a high tempo and therefore doesn’t suit our preferred style”. I may be in a tiny minority along with Spudski, BS4 and a few others, but I wish to God that somebody with a bit of seniority, experience and composure like him or O’Neill had been available during the last two months, when we’ve been largely incapable of doing either with any conviction. I have said it many times, and will accept it graciously if I am shown to be mistaken, but these guys may yet have an important part to play in the run in and might even be instrumental in reviving our hopes of a top six finish. They both play with a calm authority that has been conspicuously lacking and should not be lightly dismissed because injury has prevented them from contributing more this season.

Steve has had an unprecedented run of injuries this season and with his Team - they’ve worked their socks off day & night probably.

Just thought he deserved a mention as fascinating to watch too as makes it all sound very interesting and inspirational.

Thanks from all City fans and agree whole heartedly that together we can doing something special.

10 minutes ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

Steve has had an unprecedented run of injuries this season and with his Team - they’ve worked their socks off day & night probably.

Just thought he deserved a mention as fascinating to watch too as makes it all sound very interesting and inspirational.

Thanks from all City fans and agree whole heartedly that together we can doing something special.

Hello Steve, keep up the good work 

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:01, spudski said:

It doesn't work like that mate...some people would just rather ignore it, and find other reasons as to why things have caught up with us in the past few months.

Hence a few comments on this thread and loads on the moaning threads ;-)

Indeed. I've been dying to ask the Johnson Out brigade who've emerged since Xmas whether they honestly believe the reasons for our poor run last season are the same as the reasons for this season's dip. Then I remember I'd be wasting my breath. It's obvious our blip this season is due to injuries, a lack of squad depth to cover for them, and a cup run that was psychologically and physically draining. 

Given time - a season or two - we'll build a squad of sufficient depth and, when injuries are kind to us and a cup run doesn't get in the way, give it a right good go.

In the meantime, if we have a season or two as a comfortable, competitive top 10 championship team - what on earth is the problem? It's massive progress.

Archived