IGNORED

Steve Allen - Unsung Hero (Merged)

Jerseybean

21 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Like others I am hugely impressed with Allen. Dedicated, very experienced and crucially, in addition to his evident expertise, a really nice bloke who relates well to the players in his care, a quality not always found in medical and other staff and which can make a big difference to treatment outcomes. We are lucky to have him.

Indeed, and as was witnessed by Famara's reaction when he scored in his comeback game after his injury. 

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

Seems a top bloke buy unsung hero??

Not sure on that one. He's gotta be paid a full whack and he obviously enjoys it of this is his 32nd season doing it.

Just coz he's paid well and enjoys his job doesn't mean he shouldn't be praised for hard work...

7 minutes ago, Judda said:

Just coz he's paid well and enjoys his job doesn't mean he shouldn't be praised for hard work...

But I think he is. He's often been mentioned in interviews etc and this has to be the first season there's been 3 full length interviews with the physio on the OS. All very interesting. 

15 minutes ago, Judda said:

So, this afternoon, you wouldn't praise and cheer, e.g. Famara D, when he scores his first hat-trick for the club, wearing his omnipresent smile, reminiscing at overcoming a serious injury and, perhaps, just praising (again) all the hard work put in by a certain Steve Allen; hard work and just a little expertise that enabled him to achieve such a feat?  

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed. I've been dying to ask the Johnson Out brigade who've emerged since Xmas whether they honestly believe the reasons for our poor run last season are the same as the reasons for this season's dip. Then I remember I'd be wasting my breath. It's obvious our blip this season is due to injuries, a lack of squad depth to cover for them, and a cup run that was psychologically and physically draining. 

Given time - a season or two - we'll build a squad of sufficient depth and, when injuries are kind to us and a cup run doesn't get in the way, give it a right good go.

In the meantime, if we have a season or two as a comfortable, competitive top 10 championship team - what on earth is the problem? It's massive progress.

Absolutely spot on.

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

So, this afternoon, you wouldn't praise and cheer, e.g. Famara D, when he scores his first hat-trick for the club, wearing his omnipresent smile, reminiscing at overcoming a serious injury and, perhaps, just praising (again) all the hard work put in by a certain Steve Allen; hard work and just a little expertise that enabled him to achieve such a feat?  

I'm saying that he should be praised 

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

Seems a top bloke buy unsung hero??

Not sure on that one. He's gotta be paid a full whack and he obviously enjoys it of this is his 32nd season doing it.

You could say the same about pretty much anyone in the club set-up. It’s hardly a question of his job satisfaction or pay grade.

I think the point that’s being made is that it’s relatively rare to see back room staff given the credit they deserve, especially when as in this season the level of commitment required from his team has been wholly exceptional.

Adam Baker deserves a pat on the back too, for producing these occasional in-depth updates from the experts. It’s helpful in putting into perspective the rubbish we hear from people with another agenda who have tried to play down the significance of the injury crisis and to dismiss it as an over-hyped excuse, which frankly is bollocks.

Well done to all involved: very professionally presented.

12 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Hegeler is clearly a gifted player. But he struggles with the pace and keeping a high tempo. Personally I think he will go in the summer. 

Exactly this,, he would be perfect in technical german dutch of french football,,, but isnt suited to the championship in my opinion.

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Exactly this,, he would be perfect in technical german dutch of french football,,, but isnt suited to the championship in my opinion.

To repeat in a slightly different way what I’ve said elsewhere, he may not be suited to a Championship side that wants to press and always play at 100 miles an hour, but there is a growing body of opinion that it is having this exclusive commitment to “Plan A” that may have led to player burn-out, fatigue and a deterioration in results - and just possibly contributed to some of the injuries as well (though Steve Allen is sceptical about the latter point). Hence the increasingly heard moaners’ lament that we have no Plan B (a handy, go-to argument for anti-LJ agendists and a lazy, cheap shot at the coaching staff).

Well, if people want an alternative approach that is not high tempo, and yet will pounce scathingly on anything that looks remotely like long ball tactics, what does that leave you? Perhaps a team that requires players who can slow the tempo when necessary, be calm and composed on the ball, and help retain possession so you don’t have to race around like headless chickens pressing the opposition when they have it. Somebody a bit like Hegeler, in fact.....

Archived