IGNORED

Eros Pisano......

BCFC1512

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Which is exactly what you’d expect to happen when your first choice is injured for four months.

What’s the issue? We’re not Manchester City. When our first choice full back suffers a long term injury we don’t have the clout to go out and sign Paulo Maldini.

The issue is Wright isn’t even a RB. He literally did a job there. He’s not a right back-cum-centre back, he’s a centre back. In the circumstances he did well, especially since our only other alternative was to go out and sign Paulo Maldini

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

The issue is Wright isn’t even a RB. He literally did a job there. He’s not a right back-cum-centre back, he’s a centre back. In the circumstances he did well, especially since our only other alternative was to go out and sign Paulo Maldini

In fairness it's not like he's never played there before.

39 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Doubt you'd get him off the tennis court: http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/paolo-maldini/m0dx/overview

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

No I can see it but do not downplay him playing RCB either. Makes a world of difference to him. While if Flint were to leave, I would want a new CB, I would not be outraged if BW just slotted in. At RCB I think you will struggle to find many better and if he was 2-3 inches taller there wouldn’t be a question imo. The way he defends opposition strikers getting ball to feet is superb. Just wish he’d tone down the silly fouls. 

I thought the pairing of Wright and Baker at the start of the season looked really good to be fair. 

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't understand this reference to Bailey Wright not being a Right back. He's played that position many times over his career...yet it was his first time with this Club when Eros got injured.

He even said it in a recent interview.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/wright-happy-to-be-on-the-right/

That is news to me but I'm surprised, because as I said he was a player doing a job there. He doesn't have the profile for a right-back in the modern era at all, but he's defensively superb. Like a centre-back, you might say.

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

That is news to me but I'm surprised, because as I said he was a player doing a job there. He doesn't have the profile for a right-back in the modern era at all, but he's defensively superb. Like a centre-back, you might say.

I think it stood out more, as our style of play is to use very offensive Left and right backs.

That's one of the reasons we bought Eros, because he is known for his offensive abilities as a right back.

My friends in Verona who follow Hellas, actually think he's better offensively than defensively and are surprised he's done so well over here.

The same for JB and Kelly...all very mobile and offensive.

Wright is a more 'traditional' back four type of right back...less mobile when going forward.

However...he'd good defensively if a little slow imo. Still only 25...yet looks 30 odd to me.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think it stood out more, as our style of play is to use very offensive Left and right backs.

That's one of the reasons we bought Eros, because he is known for his offensive abilities as a right back.

My friends in Verona who follow Hellas, actually think he's better offensively than defensively and are surprised he's done so well over here.

Wright is a more 'traditional' back four type of right back...less mobile when going forward.

However...he'd good defensively if a little slow imo. Still only 25...yet looks 30 odd to me.

Agree.

Said it before, but I think when we have Pisano and Bryan/Kelly at full-backs we set out to attack in the wide positions.  Pack and / or Smith hold much more.

When we have Wright and Magnússon we set out to attack centrally, Pack and Smith a bit more license.

Unfortunately the game also has 11 other players attempting to 1) nullify your tactics 2) Impose their own

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Don’t disagree at all. Wright is similar to Carey in a lot of ways IMO. For me Carey played RB in a time where further down the leagues full-backs were more defensive anyway, and also when 4-4-2 and rigid lines were a lot more prominent in English football at all levels.

Don’t get me wrong though, given the way we play he’s done very well, but if I were LJ wanting two players in every position, I wouldn’t want to count Wright as our second at RB personally, because of what you lose down that side going forward, especially as we tend to have Brownhill drifting inside off the right anyway.

16 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Don’t disagree at all. Wright is similar to Carey in a lot of ways IMO. For me Carey played RB in a time where further down the leagues full-backs were more defensive anyway, and also when 4-4-2 and rigid lines were a lot more prominent in English football at all levels.

Don’t get me wrong though, given the way we play he’s done very well, but if I were LJ wanting two players in every position, I wouldn’t want to count Wright as our second at RB personally, because of what you lose down that side going forward, especially as we tend to have Brownhill drifting inside off the right anyway.

Carey was a much better ‘footballer’ than BR and far more athletic and far better on ball  / more of a threat coming forward

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Carey was a much better footballer than BE and far more athletic and better on the ball coming forward

I must have seen Carey play over 250+ times and other than him being a hard and solid defender I'm finding it difficult to compare him to Bailey Wright.  

Wright is also solid and hard defender but in terms of the better footballing ability I can't seperate them..

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Carey was a much better ‘footballer’ than BR and far more athletic and far better on ball  / more of a threat coming forward

I think Louis was one of the rare breed who could play both CB and RB and look accomplished at both.  

Struggle to think of others who could.

Newman ...

1 minute ago, JasonM88 said:

Work it out.

I’ve had a season ticket for over 20 years. I go to games..! 

As an “attacking threat” I’d say Pisano’s record of 0 assists & 0 goals doesn’t really back up your argument. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As an “attacking threat” I’d say Pisano’s record of 0 assists & 0 goals doesn’t really back up your argument. 

He’s played less than 800 Minutes this season

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Indeed. His technical ability was excellent.

I recall the year Millen left and McInnes kept us up...we beat Millwall 1-0, last minute winner by Maynard. Anyway, one thing that stuck in the mind for me, was that even with his advancing years, at the start of 2012 he was still our best CB on the ball. Quite comfortably too that evening.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely you realise a player can carry out an attacking threat without providing the direct assist?

8 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

He’s played less than 800 Minutes this season

?? WTF has that got to do with him not creating any goals..?

How many minutes has Lloyd Kelly played..?

I’m simply saying the a lot of people refer to Pisano’s attacking side, when I’ve not really seen much to back up that aspect of his game. 

8 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He is good going forward regardless of assists. Carries it well I think. 

8 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He is good going forward regardless of assists. Carries it well I think. 

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Surely you realise a player can carry out an attacking threat without providing the direct assist?

Yes, granted, he carries the ball foward (similar to Bradley Orr, I’d say) but his crossing is regularly quite poor and I just don’t see attacking as one of his strong points particularly. 

Nothing like Lloyd Kelly and in fairness, even Bailey Wright has created some attacks and the odd assist. 

It’s not having a go at Pisano. I just don’t see the “attacking threat” that people often credit him with. 

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, granted, he carries the ball foward (similar to Bradley Orr, I’d say) but his crossing is regularly quite poor and I just don’t see attacking as one of his strong points particularly. 

Nothing like Lloyd Kelly and in fairness, even Bailey Wright has created some attacks and the odd assist. 

It’s not having a go at Pisano. I just don’t see the “attacking threat” that people often credit him with. 

might be one of those what do you think full backs should do questions. Some think Bryan is crap because he is not as good as he is going forward. some will think Pisano going forwards is not all that because looking at the other side he is not as good going forward. 

45 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

might be one of those what do you think full backs should do questions. Some think Bryan is crap because he is not as good as he is going forward. some will think Pisano going forwards is not all that because looking at the other side he is not as good going forward. 

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he carries the ball and links up well going forward. I don't think his crossing is great, but he did put in a couple of good crosses Saturday. Its more his willingness to go on the overlap, which makes Brownhill's job a lot easier.

I agree with both of those posts. It just always confused me, whilst he was out injured, that people couldn’t wait to get him back, for his attacking side. 

He fits in the team well, is a natural full back, so doesn’t look confused positionally. 

As I see it, he does the typical full back duties of coming forward, but I don’t think his attacking is a key part of his game particularly. His crossing is generally pretty poor. 

Good to have him back, but I don’t see much of an attacking benefit of him being back in. 

19 hours ago, redsapper said:

Eros has been a great signing but his injury has deprived us of his services this season. 

We signed him from the second tear in Italy at a good price! What other gems are our their at this level?

We all know that signing players is a gamble and not all will work out look at Gustav Engvall.As a club we are in credit with what we have done so far. We will lose players at the end of the season if we don’t go up! 

The big question is are we ready as a club for the huge step up to the next level! Let just enjoy the roller coaster of a ride until the end of the season!!!

Even if we're not we would still benefit from going up as it would be a massive financial boost as well as making us more appealing to players. Waiting for the "right time" is exactly how you never get the right time. 

Even if we went up and came straight back down we'd have got a massive income for the club to use. Honestly if anyone thinks staying in this division is a better choice than going up in worried about their logic. That said I don't see is going up, the competition is flying and we're struggling and not looking convincing at all. 

55 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

I think many people think Bryan is wasted at left back, not crap. I honestly,  going by what I've seen of Lloyd Kelly so far, would put Kelly in as left back and have Bryan in left midfield where he can both attack the flank and cut in and use his shooting ability. Right now having Bryan as left back means he can't push forward when we need him there the most. If I were Bryan I'd be looking for a club with a manager willing to give me a proper shot in midfield, not a club that wants a left back because he'll never reach his full potential there. 

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he carries the ball and links up well going forward. I don't think his crossing is great, but he did put in a couple of good crosses Saturday. Its more his willingness to go on the overlap, which makes Brownhill's job a lot easier.

That desire to overlap, coupled with his better technical ability on the ball, gives us better options to attack on the right side. 

The little triangle that created the crossing opportunity on the left for Kelly which ultimately led to the goal is something that is repeatable on the right. 

It will also help Brownhill make more of those clever little runs inside to link with the forwards. 

Just gives us balance. 

14 hours ago, eardun said:

I thought the pairing of Wright and Baker at the start of the season looked really good to be fair. 

Same here. Perhaps even more solid than Flint and Wright. Obviously just miss the aerial presence but better at cutting out passes and such. Also think we’d actually become less predictable at set pieces. Sure the big man scores loads of goals but we rarely aim for anyone else making it somewhat easier to defend imo. It is a tough call when the squad is fully fit

Archived