IGNORED

What has happened to Korey Smith?

old_eastender

Ever since he came to the club, have loved Korey's all action style. Normally his passing is good and he helps bridge defence and attack.

However, he was awful against Burton, constantly gifting the opposition the ball with misplaced short passes. That was worst performance I had ever seen from him, today was only marginally better. The episode where he received the ball from just 10 feet away from our free kick, slipped over, lost the ball to their player then had to foul him and get booked typified how far off his best he was again. 

Please can we have the old Korey Smith back!

Sums up how you view the game in my opinion. I watched that slip and thought there's going to be a post on here about how he's had a bad game. Because there are 3-4 poster on here who let standout moments dictate their memory of a whole match/performance. Karey had a decent game broke up play well dropped into the back line to cover and even after this slip (which if you're actually being rationally is hard to blame him for) he was on his feet and chasing back to cover - even taking a yellow for the team. 

_

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah Bobby Reid wasn't his usual self either.

Fortunately Pack had a great game

Pack was my MOTM, thought he didn't put a foot wrong. Close contender for player of the season IMO, although it's probably already got Bobby's name on it. 

I also thought Korey didn't have a bad game today. 

4 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Pack was my MOTM, thought he didn't put a foot wrong. Close contender for player of the season IMO, although it's probably already got Bobby's name on it. 

I also thought Korey didn't have a bad game today. 

Agree with this.....I'm no Marlon fan but today he was fantastic

Not sure if it was Smith or just our midfield set-up but the midfield as a whole was bizarre today. There was more than one occasion where we had a row of 4-5 at the back and a row of 4-5 at the front line but with not a sole in between. In addition Patterson and Brownhill were quite often seen around the defence area , behind our wing backs and with a defensive minded Pack and Smith we just seemed to lack a joined up fluidity and offensive minded system today. 

43 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Not sure if it was Smith or just our midfield set-up but the midfield as a whole was bizarre today. There was more than one occasion where we had a row of 4-5 at the back and a row of 4-5 at the front line but with not a sole in between. In addition Patterson and Brownhill were quite often seen around the defence area , behind our wing backs and with a defensive minded Pack and Smith we just seemed to lack a joined up fluidity and offensive minded system today. 

Yep makes an already tough job for a midfield 2 even tougher. There was no link for them to pass forward to and rarely support when they broke up play to pick up the loose ball. Was just 4 forward with the fullbacks almost wide midfielders at times. Has to make it tough on the ball knowing if your pass is off then they will be in on goal. Our setup was chaotic at best. Got the 3 points but on that performance, it doesn’t bode well for our playoff chances

8 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Ever since he came to the club, have loved Korey's all action style. Normally his passing is good and he helps bridge defence and attack.

However, he was awful against Burton, constantly gifting the opposition the ball with misplaced short passes. That was worst performance I had ever seen from him, today was only marginally better. The episode where he received the ball from just 10 feet away from our free kick, slipped over, lost the ball to their player then had to foul him and get booked typified how far off his best he was again. 

your right mate hes gone off the boil but same can be said for patterson and brownass

Korey Smith was a lot better yesterday than he was at Burton. 

On two occasions recently, one was the Bolton game & I can’t remember who the other game was against, but he let a player run too far instead of taking a booking and they’ve scored from the chance.

Yesterday, taking him down cynically after losing the ball proves he’s already learnt from those two previous mistakes. 

So Korey had a poor game at Burton and not exactly his usual self yesterday? He's human and entitled to an off day now and again.

Pack didn't put a foot wrong eh? It was him who messed up the free kick which resulted in Korey getting the yellow card yesterday.

Pack is not my favourite player but he had a good first half but was not so effective in the second. As to the free kick mentioned. From his body language, I and probably many others, thought Pack would have a shot at goal. I suspect that he changed his mind in his approach to the ball, pushed it square to Korey, who certainly wasn't expecting it and who slipped. Recovered enough to commit a foul and get a yellow thanks to Pack's indecision.

Why are we as a team, seemingly afraid to shoot for goal? Without looking at stats, I only remember two efforts on target in the second half.

Milan's goal and a shot from MOM Lloyd Kelly. He'll soon be told it's not allowed to try a shot from outside of the box!

16 hours ago, old_eastender said:

No player will always be at his best. He played ok today, and your knick pick from the game today was that he slipped, which is out of his control! 

Archived