IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

myol'man

He certainly had a superb game. A real stand out performance. As others have said he was very composed on the ball for such a young kid and his cross for the winner was perfect.

Wonder if LJ will play Bryan at left midfield with Kelly at FB at Oakwell on Friday.

Its hard because he is standing in for one of the best full backs in the league. He had a good game although i thought a few times the crowd were getting impatient that he didn't move the ball forward quick enough and kept passing back.

Its good to see our academy producing some very good talents.

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Its hard because he is standing in for one of the best full backs in the league. He had a good game although i thought a few times the crowd were getting impatient that he didn't move the ball forward quick enough and kept passing back.

Its good to see our academy producing some very good talents.

Is he?

Rather have Bryan at LM, especially if it means Kelly gets game time.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Certainly come along way in the past 12 months. 

Could be in action for England U20s in Poland, and then again next Tuesday against Portugal (which is £3 to get in if you're near Man City's Academy ground).

Speaking of the U20s, Zak Vyner was supposedly very close to making the squad this time round. He's definitely being looked at by the England setup.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Is he?

Rather have Bryan at LM, especially if it means Kelly gets game time.

With Hegeler,GoN and Djuric all featuring today and with Taylor and CoD close to availability LJ will almost have a full squad before long, hopefully  after the international break. 

On Friday Bryan is back off the naughty step and I agree with ZE that he could well play both Kelly and Bryan.

Mags was talking to him a lot and helping him out and I actually think that helped Mags have a better game. Him being the more senior player and having an extra layer of responsibility with Kelly alongside made him have a much more composed mature performance - until the injury of course.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He certainly had a superb game. A real stand out performance. As others have said he was very composed on the ball for such a young kid and his cross for the winner was perfect.

Wonder if LJ will play Bryan at left midfield with Kelly at FB at Oakwell on Friday.

I hope you are right. I particularly like that Kelly does not try to be clever when defending in potentially exposed positions, just puts his boot through it and clears or finds touch.

Pato has been pretty ineffective ever since coming back from illness, so would prefer Joe in LM to him too.

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Speaking of the U20s, Zak Vyner was supposedly very close to making the squad this time round. He's definitely being looked at by the England setup.

At risk of derailing this thread...do you know how he was today? They won but conceded two goals to some team that I've never even heard of.

You also have to consider that Ipswich were trying to target him all game, trying to take advantage of his naivety, but he handled it well. I'd say he made less mistakes than Wright today.

Potentially a big future

I was getting annoyed with him in the first half (may have been instructions though), never got forward. 2nd half different gravy . Thought he did ok last week  and this week more good signs. I think the more he plays the better he'll get.

Thought he looked great today and like others would like to see him with Joe infront of him. What happens when O'Dowda gets back will be interesting. If Joe is off in the summer we certainly shouldn't have too much to concern us with the options we now have...

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Wasn't there, good enough to keep in the side and push Joe up to LM?

I think the majority would like JB left side MF rather than LB.
While Kelly deserves the plaudits I would say I'd hold off saying he's the new LB, just yet at least. 2 good performances against poor opposition and plenty of promise but not sure he's ready to be thrown in against the better sides in a race for 6th. I may be wrong , and if he played like he did in the 2nd half today over a few games then I'd change my mind. Remember JB has been made to look poor against more than one Championship winger, I'd say he's too good to go on loan but I see him being eased into the first team at the moment. Of course , with the injuries and suspensions he may well get an extended run and prove me wrong, I'd be happy with that.

55 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I know West Ham were watching Fleetwood v Plymouth, hoping they were there for someone other than Zak. 

Great early ball in for the goal. He looked a little timid in bringing the ball forward in the first half but that improved in the 2nd.

He looks, even at 19, a very balanced footballer. Ticks a lot of boxes.

As LJ said post match, there aren't too many 19 year olds who can cut it in the Championship.

Archived