IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

myol'man

49 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

May be the millions ploughed into the Academy is finally about to pay off.

So Bryan, Reid, Vyner and Kelly isn't enough over the last few years.

Morrell, and Dowling have both made appearances as academy products.

But the worst part of that comment is not realising that academy changes obviously won't happen overnight.

If you change the education system at secondary school level, the only thing that can reliably suggest the changes have made an impact is the results of those who spent the full 5 years under it.

If you make the change and one year later you have better results then nothing is shown, as those kids would have spent most of their education under the old system.

A similar thought should apply here. We only really started investing in the academy in the last few years, so the full benefits aren't going to be immediate.

Then you have to realise you could have someone who appears to have all the talent in the world, but if they don't apply themselves or have a bad attitude, they won't make it. Investing into the academy won't change that one iota.

Finally, by investing and securing Category 2 status, we have a better chance of stopping our best prospects being poached by clubs. As before we couldn't stop a Cat 2 club nicking them. We can now, but can't stop Cat 1 clubs.

IIRC we are ultimately trying to get Cat 1 status, protecting our assets further.

Not every player will make it, but let's say Kelly does (not unrealistic). That means we have a ready made replacement for Bryan, a player that should he leave, will not go for an insubstantial amount. That alone has just saved us a few million in transfer fees looking for the replacement.

Similarly, should Vyner continue his progression, he could well become a first choice CB of ours.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Kelly is young and will make mistakes. We've seen how impatient fans are with Maggers, let's hope people give Kelly plenty of time to refine his game.

This is OTIB, there will be at least 5 people on here who say "he's not good enough" off the back of a poor performance in the next 12 months.

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

This is OTIB, there will be at least 5 people on here who say "he's not good enough" off the back of a poor performance in the next 12 months.

It's not just that, it's the groans at Ashton Gate...

3 hours ago, Swede said:

I thought Magners was MOM at Burton and, in my view, was only bettered by Lloyd Kelly v Ipswich.

He is a talent.

What is really impressive is his composure. He reads the game very well, he is deceptively quick and good on the ball.

:clap:

Bravest post of the year already!

I think people don’t like him as he’s a different CB. Not big and nasty, but calm and cultured. Get the errors out of his game and he’ll be a very good CB complimenting Baker/Flint very well.

13 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

:clap:

Bravest post of the year already!

I think people don’t like him as he’s a different CB. Not big and nasty, but calm and cultured. Get the errors out of his game and he’ll be a very good CB complimenting Baker/Flint very well.

Similar with Hegeler, who started the season alongside Wright at CB.  They are different types of CB.  I like them both.  I prefer Baker and Flint, but they are good cover.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:53, ZiderEyed said:

Is he?

Rather have Bryan at LM, especially if it means Kelly gets game time.

yes all day long. How good is Bryan on the ball? what do City really need? early days but imagine two players on one side who are good enough on that ball to switch during games?

On 17/03/2018 at 18:35, 1960maaan said:

I was getting annoyed with him in the first half (may have been instructions though), never got forward. 2nd half different gravy . Thought he did ok last week  and this week more good signs. I think the more he plays the better he'll get.

I honestly think with that defensive line that he was told to stay back and when things went the way they did and we looked so poor LJ had no option to free him up to join the attack. 

I'd rate a team with Kelly as left back and Joe as LM much higher than Mags at LB and Bryan LM or Bryan at LB with anyone infront of him. For me Bryan needs to be LM, the only real issue is we don't have a solid LB unless Kelly is given the chance and can prove that he's capable of being at that level. If the Ipswich game is anything to go by I'd dare to say he can. 

Saw Kelly play at QPR and he was like a scared rabbit.

On Saturday he looked like a different player entirely - played very safe (presumably under instructions) for the first half but then gained more confidence and produced a lovely cross for the goal.  Very smooth runner with the ball - reminded me of Keith Curle.

Definitely one for the future but I would play him in gently. 

On 3/17/2018 at 18:55, Cheesleysmate said:

I've been banging on for ages about giving Kelly a chance. I am over the moon that he has finally been given an opportunity and is taking it. Perhaps he can teach a few others how to cross?

Mrs Downend could teach a few how to cross, and she's got artificial knees!

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I honestly think with that defensive line that he was told to stay back and when things went the way they did and we looked so poor LJ had no option to free him up to join the attack.  

I do wonder if our reticence to play a more attacking game in the first half wasn't due to Fammy having a poor 45 minutes? Once Milan came on, we were a totally different prospect.

I'm not having a pop at Fammy as he's a great player but, by his usual standards, he was poor in the first half on Saturday. Milan was better on the day and gave us something to aim for knowing he could hold / win the ball thereby encouraging more attacking play. .

Lloyd does look a prospect, I have to say.

Just my opinion.

Watching Kelly, it seemed he operated at 'Bobby Moore' speed* - which gave me the collywobbles to start with, but he was so confident and assured that he pulled it off completely.

Ipswich didn't give us too much grief - they seemed to be happy playing for the 0-1 loss ?!? on another day having someone hassling and pressing hard on him might be a different affair.

but based on Saturday, he was absolutely top class.

*ask a parent.

Archived