IGNORED

Hörður

yardy

2 hours ago, yardy said:

Surprised there isn't a thread about Mags i thought he was excellent today, won everything in the air and looked strong and calm at the back, his best City game so far for me. Hope his injury isn't to bad.

Keep it up Hörður

100 percent 

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

To be fair, it does come across as you’re glad he had a good game so he’d gain insterest for a summer move. If he plays well why wouldn’t you want him to stay?

I think his bridge is burnt. Also I am far from convinced he has irradiated mistakes from his game 

54 minutes ago, leadman said:

his problem is judgement, never ability, never positional, he also passes better than baker or flint, add in the effective long throws and I say keep him. 

His problem is Joe Bryan, since he played with a person in front of him that doesn’t wander off people are now seeing him for the player he is.

played very well and dominated any aerial threat. 

two points... I noticed he took the safe option when being closed down today none of the trying to see it out and then getting robbed. Obviously learning from past mistakes

and second point - to all the criticism of him making mistakes I ask you - what defender doesn't? He made one minor error selling Pack short today and some are picking on it - give the guy a break!!

He is young and showing signs of adapting so leave alone and come to a consensus end of the next season.

43 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I think his bridge is burnt. Also I am far from convinced he has irradiated mistakes from his game 

Every single player makes mistakes, it would be a boring old game if nobody ever did, I appreciate he has had a few howlers but he appears to have learnt from them, clean sheet today and improving with every match, yeah get rid :disapointed2se:

16 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Every single player makes mistakes, it would be a boring old game if nobody ever did, I appreciate he has had a few howlers but he appears to have learnt from them, clean sheet today and improving with every match, yeah get rid :disapointed2se:

He makes too many. Get rid.

Show me a player who doesn't make a mistake every game. He was solid today, as he was in the second half at Burton last week. The level of criticism from some on here is completely over the top -  other players who make mistakes don't get the same level of scrutiny and abuse. Last week when called on at Burton he was very good, whereas Korey couldn't string a pass together - but of course this wasn't highlighted. I commend his commitment and attitude. He's a very important part of our squad, considering he's the one who's picked/dropped depending on who else is injured or suspended. A lot of players would sulk and not give their all when treated like that - not Hörður.

1 hour ago, gordie said:

Got a catchy song tho:yawn:

And he's Icelandic, milks clapping the fans and is funny on social media. How dare anyone criticise him for continual poor performances!

A few games ago this forum seemed to be almost unanimous in agreement that he's not good enough, one good performance against Ipswich and suddenly any criticism to get rid of someone that is essentially, a League One defender, is viewed as outlandish. Weird.

9 hours ago, taxidog said:

Aaron - if we extrapolate your line of reasoning, and get rid of every player that has a bad game/makes mistakes, we'd have a squad of......zero players. 

That's not the point I'm making at all. As I said the other day, this forum was pretty much in unanimous agreement that Derrick Williams wasn't up to scratch and were happy to get rid, but he's more solid at both centre back and left back than Magnússon.

People like to use the "Magnússon is still learning" line, but Williams is the same age and didn't cost us £3m.

8 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

That's not the point I'm making at all. As I said the other day, this forum was pretty much in unanimous agreement that Derrick Williams wasn't up to scratch and were happy to get rid, but he's more solid at both centre back and left back than Magnússon.

People like to use the "Magnússon is still learning" line, but Williams is the same age and didn't cost us £3m.

I agree Derek was a good player & will go into be a great player 

2 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I thought that Williams was a decent defender, not so great on the offensive but he's doing well at Blackburn and is on the fringes of the Irish national squad .

16 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

still I thought today summed Mags up. He was solid, looked a decent championship CB and played well. Then on about 70 minutes he made a rick, passed the ball short and would have left them clear but Pack had to make a tackle which he barely got to.

Thats him in a nutshell - he can look great for 89 minutes, but has a mistake in him every game. It has to be mental, and on that basis, it has to be something he can solve.

For me, he’s 4th at CB and 2nd at LB. On that basis there’s no way I’d sell him as he’s plenty good enough as a squad player, but I’ll never be 100% confident with him starting until he sorts the above out.

I can give you another way of looking at it. Magnússon and Bailey Wright made less mistakes than all - They gave the ball away less. As a general picture that is what Magnússon provides at CB (V LB). More retention of the football for a team that is based on building through the thirds (?). 

There have been matches this season particularly when City move away from passing to feet error has led to a team struggling to make four or five consecutive passes e.g. Cardiff away. Passing team?

If the intent is to be a fluid passing team, playing through the thirds error has to be an accepted part of the teams play, but value has to be placed upon those who help that team build through those thirds v being solid, get rid because that leads to even more mistake and error.

16 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

He looks so much better at CH but that didn't look too clever when he went down. It looked like his knee went the wrong way. Let's hope it doesn't bugger up his World cup hopes.

I will admit, I had forgotten all about Jens Hegeler so was wondering who we had left at CH, would Eros play there and put Josh to RB? On came the forgotten big German,  I guess we're gonna need him now.

I watched on a stream yesterday. Looked like Jens was very assured?  Is that the consensus?

6’4” and cultured on the ball. Very useful player to have around at this stage of this season. 

13 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

And he's Icelandic, milks clapping the fans and is funny on social media. How dare anyone criticise him for continual poor performances!

A few games ago this forum seemed to be almost unanimous in agreement that he's not good enough, one good performance against Ipswich and suddenly any criticism to get rid of someone that is essentially, a League One defender, is viewed as outlandish. Weird.

Almost unanimous.  I think there’s a player in there.  At 25 he’s probably no worse than Flint was at the same age and playing a higher level. The comparison shouldn’t be with Flint though. Totally different types of CB. He will be coming into his prime, can play CB or LB.  He had some very good games in the pre-Xmas run. Yep, made mistakes too. Needs to iron out undoubtedly, but I’d keep him in our squad. If Baker or Flint were to go in the summer??????

3 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Almost unanimous. A LCB who’d improved massively since making his debut under SOD and a guy who defended for his life. Got better on the ball too. 

Another CB moving into his prime years. 

Accept he might not be a top 6 CB, but over the next 3/4 seasons can see him being very dependable. 

I believe Maggy's weakness is his over reliance on his left peg .

It makes him look awkward when he receives certain  balls  as he needs time to get them under  control.

For what it's worth I rate the lad and his qualities outweigh his deficiencies.

He also seems to have learnt from Bakes and Wright how to lean into a forward to win his headers .

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Almost unanimous.  I think there’s a player in there.  At 25 he’s probably no worse than Flint was at the same age and playing a higher level.

At the same age Flint was instrumental in a promotion with 99 points, a JPT win, 24 clean sheets and scored 15 goals in the process. Not a chance in hell is Magnússon currently "no worse" than that.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I thought that Williams was a decent defender, not so great on the offensive but he's doing well at Blackburn and is on the fringes of the Irish national squad .

Agree. I liked Williams - very committed, showed good improvement during his time with us, key part of the promtion team. Decent player.

7 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

At the same age Flint was instrumental in a promotion with 99 points, a JPT win, 24 clean sheets and scored 15 goals in the process. Not a chance in hell is Magnússon currently "no worse" than that.

3 1/2 years difference, so got to look at the back end of 13/14 season and start of 14/15 season.....which was at a lower level.  15/16 season was a mixed one too in his first season in the Champ.  He might not have started the 14/15 season has Osborne not got injured!  All history though. 

Archived