IGNORED

The academy

JBFC II

What a job they've been doing, we have so many top quality youngsters coming through. 

Joe and Bobby are now in their mid 20's and they are 2 of the best players in the league, bout Premier league quality.

Lloyd Kelly looked outstanding yesterday, solid in defence as they attacked him regularly and looked composed on the ball, taking on defenders and putting in a brilliant cross for the goal. He's also now an England U20s player. 

Zak Vyner is apparently Plymouths best centre back at the minute, getting 8s and 9s weekly on their forum. 

Joe Morrell is a regular for Cheltenham, getting assists and goals and now getting a call up for Wales u12s with jake Andrews also scoring a brilliant free kick last week and taylor Moore being a regular for them and looking solid

We have lots of other players on loan throughout the football league and non league, all of them playing regularly. 

Add in to that how well our U23s are playing, without all these players and still beating the likes of Liverpool. 

This just shows how well Brian Tinnion and others are doing, our Academy has come on leaps and bounds in the past few years and we are now producing some top class players, keep it up City

The biggest decision they made, was to get them out on loan playing 'Men's football'.

You learn the technical stuff, then you need to play in the real world.

Academy's are like University...you learn how to do the basics, but then need to go out in the real world and put those basics to use. As we all know...what you learn at University is often not used in the real world, but you need that foundation to start from.

Playing other Academy teams each week, doesn't show you how the real world works.

Pushing these yougster's through, often very young players playing for our U23's is a great move. You learn quicker by playing against people who are better than you.

Being the best youngster in an academy means nothing, if you can't do it against the men, when points are needed. Totally different scenario.

For all the Academy products at Level 1 at other clubs, it won't do any of them any good unless they get loaned out to play mens football.

Hence why Burnley left that set up and arranged challenges against men.

This is one of the reasons I'd like to see 'U23's' incorporated into the pyramid, playing against men lower down the leagues, without promotion into the League structure.

It works abroad...but so many are against it, because of tradition. However times have changed and the kids get very limited time against men, unless loaned out.

Ummm.. somebody clever than I can no doubt do a linkty link off McgreorMcgregors tweet... but we seem not to be very good for a Cat2 Academy being placed at 41 overall in amongst several Cat3s.

Sure Ashton Yate, if he were here, would feel vindicated by that table. 

Anyhow, there’s lies, damned lies and statistics. In any event we’ve entered (yet another) dawning of a new era. Even I’m excited by Lloyd Kelly. 

Top 20 please next year Academy people.

49 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ummm.. somebody clever than I can no doubt do a linkty link off McgreorMcgregors tweet... but we seem not to be very good for a Cat2 Academy being placed at 41 overall in amongst several Cat3s.

Anyhow, there’s lies, damned lies and statistics. In any event we’ve entered (yet another) dawning of a new era. Even I’m excited by Lloyd Kelly. 

Can't find the article he is talking about so can't see what we ar 41st out of, is it playing in the first team, players turning pro, cups of tea drank at half time?

55 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

http://www.trainingground.guru/articles/academy-audit

It's a "league table" based on how many academy products are playing league football, so it would be ridiculous to suggest we should instantly be "top 20" next year since this is taking into account the players an academy potentially produced 10+ years ago. 

It also only covers English-qualified players so, if it were covering this season, Joe Morrell is playing league football but (probably) doesn't count as a "success" in these statistics unless the author has found some Englishness in Morrell's family tree.

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

http://www.trainingground.guru/articles/academy-audit

It's a "league table" based on how many academy products are playing league football, so it would be ridiculous to suggest we should instantly be "top 20" next year since this is taking into account the players an academy potentially produced 10+ years ago. 

It also only covers English-qualified players so, if it were covering this season, Joe Morrell is playing league football but (probably) doesn't count as a "success" in these statistics unless the author has found some Englishness in Morrell's family tree.

in other words bollocks

3 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Anyhow, there’s lies, damned lies and statistics. And the table would look different if it only considered the post EPPP change. The problem with the table is that it cannot add the context of who is in charge of the XI, and the focus on development from those who run the FC. 

Bristol City under Wilson and the focus on development was an entirely differing thing to Gary Johnson. Interestingly all clubs Managed by Gary Johnson for any significant length fare badly. 

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Anyhow, there’s lies, damned lies and statistics. And the table would look different if it only considered the post EPPP change. The problem with the table is that it cannot add the context of who is in charge of the XI, and the focus on development from those who run the FC. 

Bristol City under Wilson and the focus on development was an entirely differing thing to Gary Johnson. Interestingly all clubs Managed by Gary Johnson for any significant length fare badly. 

Yet he's doing a fantastic job of blooding our young 'uns at Chelts . 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

But closed down the Yeovil Academy during his time there.

it has only recently restarted I believe, as a satellite for Southampton (I stand to be corrected).

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

3 hours ago, Countryfile said:

But closed down the Yeovil Academy during his time there.

it has only recently restarted I believe, as a satellite for Southampton (I stand to be corrected).

Probably says more for our academy in recent years compared to theirs. Whereas in years gone, the better talent would get picked up by the likes of Southampton, we do now seem to be getting/signing better players to developmental deals, which in turn is killing off lower placed league clubs' academies. Those league clubs then look to us to bring in younger players on short term deals, without the huge financial risk of signing someone on a 2 year contract. Obviously in turn, it's our benefit to get them placed as high as possible, whilst not getting them placed to high up, hindering their development.

Don't know the details of the Yeovil academy, but perhaps at that point in time it wasn't financially viable for them to keep it running. They haven't done much of any merit for quite a while now, and if we are now doing our job properly (we being the academy staff), then who would you rather sign for - Bristol City, or Yeovil Town?

It wasn't too long ago that there were quite a few on here calling for our academy to be closed...

Archived