IGNORED

Skuse

Super

Didn’t do anything wrong. Didn’t really impact the game though. 

What was noticeable was that he was often the one that was trying to pick up Bobbys runs and close him down. Did that well enough but when you’re the deep lying DM and have five other people defending around you, if you do make a mistake, it’s unlikely to lead to much.

Other than the tracking above, didn’t really notice him - and no doubt his fans will say that’s his job, but it isn’t someone I’d want back - slows the game down and doesn’t add enough when playing in a two, or is a good enough DM to play in a two.

(BTW am aware of the interception stat, but that’s a function in part of how the Ipswich set up is to deny space in their own 30 yards)

Does what he is asked to do effectively. Saw an interview with MM around the time Skuse played his 200th match for Ipswich recently which was basically that Skuse does the unglamorous work for him, the players value what he does for the team, and he is never less than a 7/10. 

He performed the task he did here - breaking up play, picking up runners, short, simple passes out of the final third.

Never spectacular, but there is certainly an argument to be made that he was their best player on the day. 

Anyone see how he noticed the hole Bobby was operating from in the first half and re-arranged things to close him down?

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He performed the task he did here - breaking up play, picking up runners, short, simple passes out of the final third.

Never spectacular, but there is certainly an argument to be made that he was their best player on the day. 

Anyone see how he noticed the hole Bobby was operating from in the first half and re-arranged things to close him down?

Yes Skuse & the formation Ipswich played (3-5-2) was why there was so little room for our midfield & Bobby to operate, which made us appear very toothless, passing the ball for the sake of passing it at times in the first half, something LJ mentioned that he spoke about at half time with the players. Our goal came because we finally managed to get a decent cross into the penalty area, bypassing the block they had in midfield orchestrated by Skuse, who was having his own personal battle with Bobby Reid.

It's the most unglamorous of roles on the pitch but Skuse does it well at this level. That's why Mick McCarthy keeps picking him.

It's nice to see some posters appreciating what a top player Skuse was/is. There have been plenty of his critics on here who fail to see what his DM role entails and how well he does it.

He's also has versatility and can play at FB or CB as he had done for City.

The only question mark I ever had was his mentality. Lovely lad but seemed to be very quiet and appeared to transfer that to the pitch. Age and experience always looked like they would have a greater bearing on his performances than some youngsters. Wonderful athlete, great engine, great technique. If we hadnt got relegated and he had stayed with us, it would have been interesting to see how many games he would have racked up. I understand he moved to look after his family wages wise,  but would have like to have stayed. Could he have reached 400 games maybe?

5 hours ago, Fiale said:

He's played over 40 games a season every season since joining Ipswich, so he must be doing something right.

and ipswich have achieved nothing of note. were getting steadily worse, though they seem to have steadied the ship this season. 

bang average to poor player at this level. very lethargic and just lets the game pass him by IMO. i wouldnt let him anywhere near this side.

1 hour ago, Juan Kerr said:

Better than ginger, I guess.

How can comments like this still be happening in this day and age.

Nobody would dream of making a "joke" about the colour of someone's skin, so why is it OK to do so about the colour of their hair? Both my kids (grown up now) had to put up with this for years and it wasn't funny, and still isn't.

7 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

How can comments like this still be happening in this day and age.

Nobody would dream of making a "joke" about the colour of someone's skin, so why is it OK to do so about the colour of their hair? Both my kids (grown up now) had to put up with this for years and it wasn't funny, and still isn't.

What about baldies? 

36 minutes ago, Touch_my_butter said:

He'll be here next season for sure - contract up with Ipswich.

Experienced pro in the Gary O'Neil / Wade Elliot / Aaron Wilbraham mould - one for the squad of 25, if not a first team starter.

LJ knows Skuse very well having played and shared the dressing room with him. He knows what qualities Skuse has both on but more importantly off the pitch.

Cole knows full well that he has one more deal in his career and will be keen to see his playing days ending at his home town club.

12 hours ago, KevP said:

He wasn't noticed because what he did, he did right. Still a good player at that level, always liked him when he was with us.

Sorry but the bit in bold makes no sense.  There was one comedy 'race' between Pack and Skuse near the end.  

If he does end up here I hope he is played in the back 4.  He uses the ball well there.

51 minutes ago, Touch_my_butter said:

He'll be here next season for sure - contract up with Ipswich.

I've seen this bandied around so much, sometimes by someone claiming to be ITK about such things....however we don't need to let facts get in the way of anything.....He signed a new 2 year deal last month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42992475

7 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I've seen this bandied around so much, sometimes by someone claiming to be ITK about such things....however we don't need to let facts get in the way of anything.....He signed a new 2 year deal last month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42992475

Don't believe what you read in the press................:whistle:

Skuse reads the game well, intercepts & breaks up play.

We have Pack & Korey who do exactly the same job but also, especially with Marlon, look to play the killer ball forward.

If we are to get to the next level in this league we need a better of the latter rather than the turgid former.

2 hours ago, city1983 said:

and ipswich have achieved nothing of note. were getting steadily worse, though they seem to have steadied the ship this season. 

bang average to poor player at this level. very lethargic and just lets the game pass him by IMO. i wouldnt let him anywhere near this side.

Agreed. The epitome of average in an unadventurous and stagnating Ipswich team who suit his languid style down to the ground.

We can all see exactly what he does, and that he still fulfills his limited and relatively undemanding role adequately.

Archived