IGNORED

The Beatiful Game is Turning Ugly

Die Hard Red

I guess every foreign owner could be termed a "carpetbagger"

On the article in general,yes the football world in general is depressing and predictable.

Money rules.

Depressing reading but reality. Money rules the whole world, our football to. In the end the answer of it is katastrof. In football there is only a few teams in every leauge around the world that can win the leauge. England, Germany only BM, France PSG, Spain and so on. In small Sweden is Malmö FF the club with most money and they will win again.

9 hours ago, Die Hard Red said:

Article by David Goldblatt: 

The Beautiful Game is Turning Ugly

Worth a read if only for the hilarious line about ‘Jordanian carpet baggers’. 

"Carpetbaggers" is an entirely accurate description of the Gas owners. Put next to nothing into the club but take all the benefits. Their club doesn't have 2 pennies to rub together for the team, despite selling their best players in January on each of the last 2 seasons for £300-600k. When did they last pay a transfer fee for a league player? Not since the fake sheikh has been in place. His best business was being a Chelsea supporter and getting them a couple of loanees last season.

So yes money in football is a problem but in Horfield the questions should be "where is it?" or "where has it gone?" No new stadium, no evidence of any work on their new "training ground", it's only the fact that Dopey Darrell appears to be a half decent manager that keeps them going. Much like Mick McCarthy at Ipswich, it's possibly only the manager that is keeping the show on the road at that level. Replace him & they could quickly tumble back down to where they were so recently.

Every time I think of the premiership and the dominance of the rich few I remember Leicester and think there is hope. 

You can't suck the money back out of the game so we are left with what we have. 

It can only be a matter of time before the top teams in Europe break away to form a super league.

That Leicester season was a glorious aberration! Chelsea finished 10th, Liverpool 8th- terrific!

This season, albeit perhaps not quite as much as last- the top 6 are incredibly dominant- with Arsenal's collapse (by their standards) you could argue top 5, then Arsenal and then the rest. Of course there is still hope, because there is always hope, but there is definitely less than there was.

People who think the PL is still truly competitive or open...are watching too much Sky. :whistle: 

The top 4 sides have lost a whopping 4 games vs the teams ranked 7th-20th. Out of 88 this season- which tells a story! If we include Chelsea's weirdly vulnerable season, it's 9 out of 110.

13 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

It can only be a matter of time before the top teams in Europe break away to form a super league.

Being saying the same for a long time. What is now the Champions League will become the Super League and then English football can return to some form of normality.

On 19/03/2018 at 07:28, Dr Balls said:

"Carpetbaggers" is an entirely accurate description of the Gas owners. Put next to nothing into the club but take all the benefits. Their club doesn't have 2 pennies to rub together for the team, despite selling their best players in January on each of the last 2 seasons for £300-600k. When did they last pay a transfer fee for a league player? Not since the fake sheikh has been in place. His best business was being a Chelsea supporter and getting them a couple of loanees last season.

So yes money in football is a problem but in Horfield the questions should be "where is it?" or "where has it gone?" No new stadium, no evidence of any work on their new "training ground", it's only the fact that Dopey Darrell appears to be a half decent manager that keeps them going. Much like Mick McCarthy at Ipswich, it's possibly only the manager that is keeping the show on the road at that level. Replace him & they could quickly tumble back down to where they were so recently.

Spot on, Doc.

As much as I hate to admit it, Clarke is a very good manager at that level - able to create something out of nothing and turn chaff into wheat. The Garse are massively overachieving.

However, eventually the lure of bigger money, a non-Poundland budget, and a return to whippet-bothering land will prevail and hopefully, they'll be back to their three managers a season habit.

On 3/18/2018 at 22:04, Bristol Rob said:

I would wager the words 'reliably disappointing' are a far finer disruption.

Great article but sums up the reason English football will never change: we still buy the tickets.

Football fans are their own worst enemy: the sense of belonging/being part of the club and the inherent loyalty means, whatever the suits on the board decide to charge, we will pay. Until that stops nothing will ever change. 

46 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Spot on, Doc.

As much as I hate to admit it, Clarke is a very good manager at that level - able to create something out of nothing and turn chaff into wheat. The Garse are massively overachieving.

However, eventually the lure of bigger money, a non-Poundland budget, and a return to whippet-bothering land will prevail and hopefully, they'll be back to their three managers a season habit.

To bring them back from non league to where they are again now in such a short space of time is a very good achievement.  I think it's only a matter of time till someone tries to poach him to manage another club.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

To be replaced by a new ' Elite ' .

Fantasy time here but imagine it happened at short notice, top six ****** off and we made the playoffs which were then cancelled in favour of promoting the top six champ sides. I suspect all the talk of budgets FFP etc would be binned and SL would do all he could to make sure we gatecrashed the new top six/'elite whatever.

Look at the current positions 7-20 clearly much bigger clubs than City but plenty of competitive teams who do not have to be "bigger" just are better run currently.

On 20/03/2018 at 10:51, Red-Robbo said:

Spot on, Doc.

I’m sure Clarke will make a name and a good living for himself with a decent club but can’t see him managing a ‘name’ even at Championship level.

He seems to be the sort of manager who does well with limited resources, but I suspect he’s always going to be at the sort of club that needs him to find players, develop them, and sell on. I think he’ll be pretty good at that. We’ve had a few like that over the years.

1 hour ago, Bianconeri said:

I’m sure Clarke will make a name and a good living for himself with a decent club but can’t see him managing a ‘name’ even at Championship level.

He seems to be the sort of manager who does well with limited resources, but I suspect he’s always going to be at the sort of club that needs him to find players, develop them, and sell on. I think he’ll be pretty good at that. We’ve had a few like that over the years.

He's the next ' Colin ' . 

Archived