IGNORED

Academy success

DavidNoble

Just seen the gas tweeted this before their Plymouth game:

NEWS:

Today’s first team fixture against #PlymouthArgyle will be the 250th consecutive league game to have an Academy developed player on the pitch.

The last fixture to not see an Academy player feature was back in December 2012!

#WeProduceOurOwn

with our recent academy successes im wondering if we have a similar stat?

bryan, reid, vyner, golbourne, burns, skuse, Carey etc have all featured over recent years...

6 hours ago, hodge said:

I expect we only have to go back to last season at some point, Reid not being a regular and Joe probably missed a game. 

Joe played every game bar Newcastle and Reid played that one, I think the season before where Joe missed 4 games is probably where it ends though 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

The difference is the league you play in and the clubs finances, Rovers are more forced to use their academy than we are so the fact we use ours so well and at a higher level speaks volumes to me. 

Who was the last Premiership standard player to come through their academy? Who was the last Championship standard player?

Just because they're skint and shite doesn't mean they're a club that puts a great emphasis on youth :rofl2br:

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Who was the last Premiership standard player to come through their academy? Who was the last Championship standard player?

Just because they're skint and shite doesn't mean they're a club that puts a great emphasis on youth :rofl2br:

Maybe I worded myself poorly but that was my point, we don't use our youth and much as Rovers because we have the finances to buy more players and our youth have to reach a much higher standard.

Also they must put some emphasis on youth or they'd be fielding a squad without youth every so often, but according to that statistic they haven't done that in 6 years.

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Man Utd have had a youth team graduate in every squad for close on 80 years. Not a great fan of them, but that is some record.

How do they define youth team graduate? Could you buy world class teenagers, stick them in the U21s, then move them in to the first team and they're graduates? Or is it more like players that have been with the club since they were 6?

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe I worded myself poorly but that was my point, we don't use our youth and much as Rovers because we have the finances to buy more players and our youth have to reach a much higher standard.

Also they must put some emphasis on youth or they'd be fielding a squad without youth every so often, but according to that statistic they haven't done that in 6 years.

No I just totally misread your post haha, my mistake.

As far as I can tell the last match where we didn't have an academy player play at any point in the 90 minutes will have been the 3-0 defeat away at Rotherham on 28th November 2015 - which is 112 league games ago, and 129 games ago including cup competitions.

On the day of that defeat to Rotherham, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Max O'Leary were all unused substitutes.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Didn't Bobby Zamora come through their academy? - As for a bit of trivia that'd be my guess!

19 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Didn't Bobby Zamora come through their academy? - As for a bit of trivia that'd be my guess!

Developed by the famous Senrab then West Ham before being released and getting picked up by Rovers aged 18, so whilst they would typically claim him as a "product" he was anything but.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 08:56, Loon plage said:

ave a ost objectors appear to be members of Long Ashton golf club.

Some of the local councillors have a point. A facility is/maybe being built on their doorstep, but where is the opportunity for community use? Many academies allow schools and junior clubs use of their facilities. Academies (football) provide education.

Bristol City academy and this development?

This is an area City are poor at. Advertising, displaying what they are good at. Bristol City academy have a philosophy/coaching syllabus , as part of the EPPP the academy have to. I doubt hardly any on here know of its existence, or what it is, I know I do not. 

Bristol City can highlight how they are going to share that syllabus, parts of it via their facilities  - Invite local junior clubs/schools in for skills training, invite coaches in to share the philosophy. This is not hard to do and say you are going to. It is what other clubs do.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Some of the local councillors have a point. A facility is/maybe being built on their doorstep, but where is the opportunity for community use? Many academies allow schools and junior clubs use of their facilities. Academies (football) provide education.

Bristol City academy and this development?

This is an area City are poor at. Advertising, displaying what they are good at. Bristol City academy have a philosophy/coaching syllabus , as part of the EPPP the academy have to. I doubt hardly any on here know of its existence, or what it is, I know I do not. 

Bristol City can highlight how they are going to share that syllabus, parts of it via their facilities  - Invite local junior clubs/schools in for skills training, invite coaches in to share the philosophy. This is not hard to do and say you are going to. It is what other clubs do.

I have never bought into the routine planning gain approach which appears to be a pre requisite of any substantial development. Why should everything be for the wider community to use? The golf club is presumably for anyone in the community who can shell out a couple of thousands of pounds a year in subscriptions.

A development for a place of specific worship by its very nature excludes vast sections of the community without any planning demands.

Just because local authorities are shit at spending public money, I dont personally see why the private sector should pick up the slack.

Just by view of course.

@Loon plage

Everything should not be to the detriment of the community in its prescience. I had a look at some of the objections many were facile, some regarding community use and section 106 agreements were reasonable.

Community involvement is a norm within developments of this nature. That is not wide access to the detriment of its purpose, its some. At Man City's academy and training facility you can see people involved in football of both genders, and physical ability benefitting from their local football club. 

The academy now at SGS college works alongside what exists, and with it. A good thing. A healthy thing. Progressive! 

A new academy represents opportunity to broaden what the club does and work more with its community. It should not be a insular ghetto for Bristol's football elite, a elite that is miniscule in number. That would not be progressive.

I made a point about Bristol City's coaching syllabus and philosophy. Do you know what it is? Should parts not be shared? Would this not be beneficial to BCFC and the community? 

Other clubs do this.

Bristol City have fine coaches at their academy. They share their brilliant work with hundreds. This facility represents an opportunity to share football not with that miniscule number, but many many more. 

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

I have never bought into the routine planning gain approach which appears to be a pre requisite of any substantial development. Why should everything be for the wider community to use? 

https://planning.n-somerset.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=neighbourComments&keyVal=P0SKSYLP02J00

Have a look why people are supporting this. Lots of comments wanting community use 

An opportunity to provide a stunning facility for the use of the local community should be supported.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

@Loon plage

Everything should not be to the detriment of the community in its prescience. I had a look at some of the objections many were facile, some regarding community use and section 106 agreements were reasonable.

Community involvement is a norm within developments of this nature. That is not wide access to the detriment of its purpose, its some. At Man City's academy and training facility you can see people involved in football of both genders, and physical ability benefitting from their local football club. 

The academy now at SGS college works alongside what exists, and with it. A good thing. A healthy thing. Progressive! 

A new academy represents opportunity to broaden what the club does and work more with its community. It should not be a insular ghetto for Bristol's football elite, a elite that is miniscule in number. That would not be progressive.

I made a point about Bristol City's coaching syllabus and philosophy. Do you know what it is? Should parts not be shared? Would this not be beneficial to BCFC and the community? 

Other clubs do this.

Bristol City have fine coaches at their academy. They share their brilliant work with hundreds. This facility represents an opportunity to share football not with that miniscule number, but many many more. 

Good response mate.

I do understand how it works, I just dislike the automatic planning gain approach. As you say many of the objectors are self serving.

I would personally prefer City to make facilities and personnel available voluntarily rather than as a planning condition, and i'm sure that they do just that for the benefit of the wider community. It just doesn't have to be this facility in my view.

Archived