IGNORED

That Forest semifinal , highlights video

1960maaan

With this season throwing another close fought League Cup semi our way , here is the previous one. Forest were still a bloody good side at this time . it may be 9 years after they were Champions of Europe, but they would win the League cup this and the following year and the full members cup . To add to their cup form they finished 3rd in the League.  Given little chance , specially at the City ground , it proved to be a lot closer than many thought. Only a late John Pender own goal saved Forest from a big upset.   A brilliant rear guard action that really set up the 2nd Leg at the Gate.

The 1988/89 season was an anti climax in the League. Sheffield United did the double over the club and went straight back up as Champions. That season's excitement was saved for the League Cup. By now the first two rounds were played on  a home and away basis to ensure every club at least one home game. In the first round City beat Exeter, now managed by Terry Cooper, 1-0 in both games. The second round draw paired City with  strong second division Oxford United. Despite winning 4-2 away only 6,255 attended Ashton Gate for the return leg which they won 2-0. Crystal Palace fell 1-0 at the next stage and the weakest two clubs met in Bristol for round four where Tranmere were beaten 1-0. The quarter final saw City away to Bradford City who had hit three without reply against mighty Everton in the previous round. A goal after just three minutes by Carl Shutt was enough to see City through to the semi final for the first time since 1971. Towards the end of the game, Jordan came on as substitute to put his experience on the field.

For the semi final, City were paired with Nottingham Forest and the first leg would be at Nottingham. As it would be such a one sided encounter, I.T.V. televised the other match live. At times there were ten City players in their own half with Joe Jordan ploughing a lone furrow up front. Those expecting a rout may well have been surprised with a goal less first half, but were well and truly shocked when Paul Mardon scored for City on a break out mid way through the second half. This could well have been a bigger upset than the win at Leeds in the F.A. Cup fifteen years previously. The defence remained firm, but the pressure was mounting. Five minutes from time a defender with two international forwards bearing down on him, stuck out a leg to concede a corner but instead converted the shot into an own goal. In fairness, if he had not gone for the ball, Nigel Clough would have scored. The return leg was televised live on a Sunday afternoon, but kick off was delayed as a bandsman collapsed and died as the teams came out! Once more City defended like lions while Jordan ran himself into the ground in Forest's half. Towards the end of the game, the referee was looking at his watch and preparing to blow for time, when a City player got a shot in. It beat the Forest keeper, but just as at Walsall a year before, it passed inches wide of the far post. The only goal was scored by Forest halfway through the second period of extra time. The outstanding player of the two legs had been goal keeper Keith Waugh who had performed miracles between the posts. In the close season he moved to Coventry City as understudy to their first team 'keeper. Just before the transfer deadline, Carl Shutt was transferred to Leeds and for an extra £175,000 their Bob Taylor came to Bristol. The following season, both players scored vital goals that helped their new clubs to promotion.   

5 hours ago, swanker said:

Alan Walsh I think. 

Yep , just as we got in. (14 mins in.)  We also beat Palace 4-1 (about 4mins in) 2 from Milne and a consolation from some bloke called Pardew. Saw every game of the cup run , it was meant to be, at least to the semi.... one day maybe.

I was at both legs of the semi. The away game at Forest was the most amazing atmosphere I can recall in all my years watching City. The away end was packed solid and there was a massive surge when Mardon’s belter hit the net. I was taken off my feet and ended up half way down the terracing, something that fortunately the younger fans will never experience. John Bailey had to calm down a pitch invader and guide him to the pitch side. In the second leg there were inflatable Joe Jordan teeth in the crowd. This would have been influenced by the Man City inflatable bananas that were in vogue at the time. It was the weekend of the Bruno vs Tyson fight. In those days there was no away goal rule after 180 minutes, otherwise we would have been at Wembley.

Ah yes the inflatable craze......Grimsby Town had thousands of inflatable fish.....

All got a bit silly, I seem to recall a full size inflatable dinghy making its way across the East end at some point.....not to mention several lilos .....days when football support was rough and slightly edgy but fun......

Archived