IGNORED

Eliasson

Finley_Smith10

27 appearances off the bench from Brownhill and CO’D in the league last season, with a combined 34 starts. Have been key players this season when fit.

Patience paid off three times last season, with Bobby coming of the bench 12 times and made 39 league appearances.

Says it all really.

I expect Eliasson (after a season with us) to then become a key player.

Really rate him and think it’ll work out just fine.

On 3/20/2018 at 15:30, tinman85 said:

Sums up the Johnson regime. The money this guy has spent is unbelievable. And people don't expect top six!!! What a joke. 

That was brave. 

You are wrong of course, but not as wrong as some would imply. 

What we should expect is to compete. Guess what, that is what SL expects. If we compete well enough a top six finish is more than achievable. 

Every manager stands and falls on his decisions and his budget. LJ is no different 

10 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

27 appearances off the bench from Brownhill and CO’D in the league last season, with a combined 34 starts. Have been key players this season when fit.

Patience paid off three times last season, with Bobby coming of the bench 12 times and made 39 league appearances.

Says it all really.

I think eliasson looks a very good young footballer, the problem he has got is that if odowda comes back in at the level he was when he was injured, now adding goals to an otherwise very solid and strong performer, thats one first team place covered. Other left side options are obviously bryan and kelly, and right side is brownhills spot, who also is young and improving and strong defensively. A deep striker false 9 role is reids unless he is sold, and elliason isnt an out and out centre forward like diedhou or duric. 

I accept that players can come and go, and injuries happen, but it seems to me that his pathway is blocked for the forseeable future?

11 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Says it all really.

The first bit is my main problem though. They were given plenty of opportunity last season with some starts and many appearances off the bench. They both looked lost at different times at points. So why is Eliasson not getting the same chance? Why was Kent brought in? 

I am sure there is a reason in the minds of the coaches but seems even Kent has lost some favour but was given 5-6 matches to prove his worth. Eliasson has only had 1-2 starts and a handful of appearances off the bench. I would have preferred Eliasson given a go instead of Kent

We've seen Eliasson given a chance and he's clearly not ready for the championship, physically or tactically. As others have said, you have to play your best team, there's no room for sentiment in a playoff battle.. LJ flirted with the 'squad rotation' that is being suggested here when 3-0 up at HT v Sunderland and we all know how that turned out.. If Eliasson came on and was responsible for a crucial goal going against us it would set his confidence and development back. As for the Kent arguments, he already has a season of championship football under his belt so it would have been fair for LJ to view him as having a better understanding of what's expected from him, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I think LJ has been more than fair to him personally, next year we will see a more involved Eliasson, assuming he goes away and works on his physique over the summer as the likes of Bryan and COD have done in recent summers. Until then I'll reserve judgement, both on the player and LJs approach 

2 hours ago, georgebcfc said:

We've seen Eliasson given a chance and he's clearly not ready for the championship, physically or tactically. As others have said, you have to play your best team, there's no room for sentiment in a playoff battle.. LJ flirted with the 'squad rotation' that is being suggested here when 3-0 up at HT v Sunderland and we all know how that turned out.. If Eliasson came on and was responsible for a crucial goal going against us it would set his confidence and development back. As for the Kent arguments, he already has a season of championship football under his belt so it would have been fair for LJ to view him as having a better understanding of what's expected from him, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I think LJ has been more than fair to him personally, next year we will see a more involved Eliasson, assuming he goes away and works on his physique over the summer as the likes of Bryan and COD have done in recent summers. Until then I'll reserve judgement, both on the player and LJs approach 

It is a fair point about Kent and his season in the championship. Just would rather see time on the pitch go to our assets rather than a loan player. Eliasson has looked good enough when I have seen him. Even the last time I remember him starting was against Sheff U with their wingbacks and he worked tirelessly in a not so easy scenario. Mistakes I would live with but not trying I can’t. From what I have seen Eliasson is a harder worker on the pitch than Kent. 

I think the key thing to me - and this is the bit where I genuinely do not know the answer - is how the players feel.

If the likes of Walsh, Eliasson, Moore, Engvall, Vyner etc. are comfortable with the fact they are developing in training or on loan and will get their chance in time then there is no problem. My concern is when players start to become uncomfortable and unsettled and we lose out on potential as a result. So far, LJ seems good at keeping players on the fringes happy and settled. As long as that continues, there is no issue.

I do think in a way those players are a victim of our success. For the last two years, we have either been in a relegation or a promotion battle and it has been harder to bring players in. I suspect the players above would have played a lot more if we were mid-table...

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do think in a way those players are a victim of our success. For the last two years, we have either been in a relegation or a promotion battle and it has been harder to bring players in. I suspect the players above would have played a lot more if we were mid-table...

I'd agree with this, and I'd like to think that if we find ourselves out of the playoff race with 2 or 3 games left, he gives the younger players a proper opportunity. Certainly you'd expect them to figure over the likes of Kent, Diony and Woodrow who won't be here next season. 

On 20/03/2018 at 21:50, JBFC II said:

Since Johnson came in, 4 transfer windows ago, we've had a net spend of 8.5 mill, compare that to Derby County who are 1 point above us and in the same period have a net spend 3x that.

We are punching well above our weight considering the money we have spent, Cardiff spent more than our record signing in January on a striker with a worse than 1 in 4 scoring record...

Or we could compare our spend with Huddersfield last year - depends what your benchmark is?

On 20/03/2018 at 22:26, Pezo said:

Who do you drop? Who do you play? Do you drop Brownhill for Eliasson? Do you drop Flint for Moore? Do you drop Mags or Bryan for Kelly?

1 mistake from a youngster and this place would be up in arms asking why were playing youngsters when better first team players are available - you always need to play your best players.

It’s not about who you drop. 

Eliasson should have got minutes rather than Kent.

Vyner or Taylor-Moore should have played instead of playing smith or brownhill at right back. 

Engvall should be getting minutes rather than  Diony or Woodrow

LJ bought in Diony, Woodrow and Kent who IMHO are no better than the youngsters that were already here who we paid decent money for and who could have been given the valuable game time experience afforded to the loanees. 

10 hours ago, georgebcfc said:

Easy to FLUSH out the rovers fans when there's people talking this much TOILET!!!!

On 20/03/2018 at 18:23, JoeAman08 said:

Hasn’t been used enough. Plain and simple. My biggest thing with LJ. Wants to protect players too much. All this talk about learning different aspects of the game is relevant but not to the point we need to pay them for years before we use them. Spent a lot of money on players who won’t have half a season between them in minutes or appearances. Our squad was decimated with injuries for 3-4 months so he just wore out a select 12-13. In my mind, a big reason our form dipped. Play the ones here already. For me it is why teams like Preston and Brentford appear to recruit so well. The players they buy, they play. They grow as part of the squad. Imagine we had bought Ollie Watkins and he was sat on our bench getting 10 minutes every month. 

Taylor Moore, Gustav Engvall, Liam Walsh, and Eliasson. Almost 6m worth of players with limited appearances. In the case of Moore and Engvall, we bought them, gave them contracts and those contracts now going into their final 12 months!! Sometimes you need to see if players sink or swim but none have been given the chance. Age is but a number and it is BS that young players can’t get the job done. I just watched a CB pairing aged 18 and 19 help beat Bayern Munich the other day with Leipzig. Upemacano and Konate played very well and they have grown given proper chances to thrive. 

Anyway, these players need chances. I have no doubt that given the minutes, Eliasson would produce. Could have easily been given minutes too. Engvall never been given a fair chance(has looked better than loan strikers like Woodrow and Diony). Walsh fair enough hard to get into the team with Pack and Smith but maybe should be used instead of one of them in matches like Burton where the defensive burden isn’t so great? Taylor Moore also has quite a bit in front of him but with talks of Flint leaving, we all say we can buy a good replacement. So where does that leave Moore? Where does he get his chance? At RB where he doesn’t look as comfortable? No, it is LJ’s biggest weakness imo. He can grow young players but he coddles them too much. Even COD and Brownhill were given chances throughout the season. Need to do the same for the others. 

This! 

Archived